Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #871
Pentaxian

Oh... Americans

05-09-2013, 01:41 PM   #872
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
Wow.

Looks like my ignorance of the various people and cultures in the Northern European regions has ruffled some feathers. For that I humbly apologize.

Guess I need to go back to school and bone up on history and social studies.

And if y'all like, I will submit for a vigorous horse whipping.
Im impressed that you know Europe is not a country alone, thumbs up for that. No one will demand anything more of you

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I'd say he simply confused Swiss with Swedes.

QuoteOriginally posted by VladimirYo Quote
Oh... Americans
05-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #873
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OK, let's bring this thread back on-topic.
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I'd say he simply confused Swiss with Swedes.
New Pentax cameras originate in Japan,
where people sometimes confuse Austria with Australia.
05-09-2013, 02:24 PM   #874

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Originally posted by Racer X 69
But the Finnish, Norwegians, Laplanders, Danish, Swiss, etc, aren't they all pretty much alike? Way up there where it snows about 9 or 10 months out of the year, right?
Wow, amazing..

You hurt my feelings...
You must forgive him, he's probably from Connetisconsinfornia in Alascanada or something like that. They're pretty ignorant in Central Amerasia, you know.

Kjell

05-09-2013, 03:51 PM   #875

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Im impressed that you know Europe is not a country alone, thumbs up for that. No one will demand anything more of you
Well Mr. Clausen pointed out that comparing Sweden to Norway and Finland was like comparing France to the US, citing that they were in completely different geographic locations.

I see on my atlas that Sweden is sandwiched between Norway and Finland.

So I'm somewhat confused.

Perhaps Mr. Clausen and I should sit down and discuss this further over a very strong cup of black coffee. And we could document the discussion with the latest Pentax cameras and lenses!

05-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #876

Photos: Albums
Its disappointing how long its been since any real news came out, but I like that this thread and PF are so heavily representing all the cultures I feel tied to.
I grew up in northern michigan surrounded by Finnish people eating pasties. Went to school in a part of Sweden that was historically part of Denmark. And most of my family is from Scotland. My grandfather hardly had a day in his life where he didn't find time for a glass of scotch, a bit of limburger cheese, and a cigar.

Also pretty curious to now what the girls reaction to you pretending to be from Scotland Yard was. I think thats probably the best joke you could end on given that your cover was probably already blown. Sadly few women are aboot the yooper accent ya know eh.
05-09-2013, 03:58 PM - 1 Like   #877

Well Mr. Clausen pointed out that comparing Sweden to Norway and Finland was like comparing France to the US, citing that they were in completely different geographic locations.

Perhaps Mr. Clausen and I should sit down and discuss this further over a very strong cup of black coffee. And we could document the discussion with the latest Pentax cameras and lenses!
Norway, Sweden, and Denmark are all closely related cultures with closely related languages, Finland has a dramatically different language, and a separate culture. There was also a long history of wars between the Scandinavians and the Finns.
I guess worth noting is that the Lapplanders are also pretty distinct and to include them in the lump is like saying the Inuit share a lot with New Yorkers.
05-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #878

btw i think he referred to swizterland as beeing a completly different location.

Btw iam living in austria at the moment and in the touristic shops they do have shirts with " no kangaroos in austria"

05-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #879
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eliallan Quote
like saying the Inuit share a lot with New Yorkers
That should be a photoessay if there ever was one. Nanook of Times Square.
05-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #880

Its disappointing how long its been since any real news came out, but I like that this thread and PF are so heavily representing all the cultures I feel tied to.
I grew up in northern michigan surrounded by Finnish people eating pasties. Went to school in a part of Sweden that was historically part of Denmark. And most of my family is from Scotland. My grandfather hardly had a day in his life where he didn't find time for a glass of scotch, a bit of limburger cheese, and a cigar.
Yes, we are a very diverse group. People from all around the world, and all walks of life.

I like the way you tied this derailment back into the discussion of the new camera possibilities from Pentax. Great job!

05-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #881
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VladimirYo Quote
Oh... Americans
They are no more ignorant as Europeans are

I've seen many times in the news Latvia was confused with Lithuania. Many many times Europeans were extremely surprised to find out that we are actually speaking not Russian. And I've heard many many times from our Eastern neighbours about Riga - beautiful capital of Lithuania
05-09-2013, 09:58 PM - 1 Like   #882
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Norway, Sweden, and Denmark are all closely related cultures with closely related languages, Finland has a dramatically different language, and a separate culture. There was also a long history of wars between the Scandinavians and the Finns.
I guess worth noting is that the Lapplanders are also pretty distinct and to include them in the lump is like saying the Inuit share a lot with New Yorkers
The first part is very much correct but the second not quite :-) Lapplanders are actually Sami people, a distinct group themselves. The "wars" between Finns and Scandinavians are in the distant past (500-1000 years ago) and were more like raiding back and forth, not really wars at all. In more recent times, Finland has warred heavily against the Soviet Union.
05-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #883
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
They are no more ignorant as Europeans are

I've seen many times in the news Latvia was confused with Lithuania. Many many times Europeans were extremely surprised to find out that we are actually speaking not Russian. And I've heard many many times from our Eastern neighbours about Riga - beautiful capital of Lithuania
True Lithuanian has spoken. For 20+ years you had to get used to that no body cares what separate Baltic states are, because there is no economical nor political power here. For the rest of the world Baltic states are three "country clowns" with narrow minded nationalistic, almost fascistic, rule, migration and suicide rate of third world, if witch keeps up there will be no Baltic states in 20 years, because nobody will live here.

Last edited by i83N; 05-10-2013 at 05:39 AM.
05-10-2013, 01:46 AM   #884
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Pentax had offered flip-out screens too.

Announced on Feb 4, 2000
I have this camera but it is branded as Hewlett-Packard 912. HP had commissioned Pentax to manufacture digicams for them. Earlier models were from Konica, and Pentax.
05-10-2013, 01:56 AM   #885
Veteran Member

All in favor of good, strong black coffee, Racer X69

My comment regarding geographic proximity was wrt your inclusion of Switzerland, not Sweden