Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2013, 02:29 AM   #1111
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
There is also still the K-5 IIs Silver Limited Edition coming!
Ooooh, yes please!

06-04-2013, 03:29 AM   #1112
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Launching a three camera line up all at once would be a bold move and could present a much clearer range of choices for consumers, with entry, mid, and high level all nicely defined. However in order to do this you need to delay some models to get them all ready...
I was thinking, if they start showing the new DSLRs from the entry model up, they can start relatively safely and show nothing "remarkably new" or "secret". A camera that is at today's K-30 level, using current SAFOX X, updated Prime-M etc. would reveal nothing that is packed inside the higher end models.

To me, it seems Pentax is seriously trying to buy time, keeping low profile in the meantime. It would be interesting to see just what an entry model will bring, that people start talking something positive and scare the crows away.

July 1st will mark 2 years since Ricoh's acquisition of Pentax was announced. It would be really cool if they reveal something new then. Even an entry level body to break the silence ...

Last edited by Uluru; 06-04-2013 at 03:35 AM.
06-04-2013, 03:47 AM   #1113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
But I think equally it would be disconcerting if Pentax Ricoh didn't try to refresh the line up.
+1
But a hint of what future products to come would be nice to keep our spirits up
06-04-2013, 03:53 AM   #1114
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
I was thinking, if they start showing the new DSLRs from the entry model up, they can start relatively safely and show nothing "remarkably new" or "secret". A camera that is at today's K-30 level, using current SAFOX X, updated Prime-M etc. would reveal nothing that is packed inside the higher end models.

To me, it seems Pentax is seriously trying to buy time, keeping low profile in the meantime. It would be interesting to see just what an entry model will bring, that people start talking something positive and scare the crows away.

July 1st will mark 2 years since Ricoh's acquisition of Pentax was announced. It would be really cool if they reveal something new then. Even an entry level body to break the silence ...
Looking at local prices here, the K30 pretty well already is the entry-level model. It's only 30 bucks or so more than the D3200 for a camera with kit lens, after cashbacks and deals have been factored in - the headline price is 80-90 bucks more. It wouldn't be a great surprise if a "new" entry-level model was a K30II, with a new sensor, some improvements and offered in K30II and K30IIs variants for, say, 10 or 15 per cent less than the original K30. After all, they did this last year with the K5II so they know it works.

There was also mention somewhere of a new Pentax APS-C mirrorless. I guess that could be a poss entry-level number, a cross between a cut-down Ricoh GR and a boosted Q with a fixed zoom.

Who knows, of course. But the emphasis Pentax now give to the Q and to the WG lines makes me wonder how committed they (or perhaps Ricoh) really are to classic APS-C DSLRs.

Last edited by mecrox; 06-04-2013 at 12:40 PM.
06-04-2013, 04:55 AM - 1 Like   #1115
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
There was also mention somewhere of a new Pentax APS-C mirrorless. I guess that could be a poss entry-level number, a cross between a cut-down Ricoh GR and a boosted Q with a fixed zoom..
Speaking of mirrorless, maybe this will sound like crazy idea, but I think that a video camera from Pentax Ricoh would make even more sense than a K-02 photo camera. Or, a camera that would have video as a main function, and stills optionally, by pressing a "stills" button on the top plate

I saw on YouTube so many people chasing old Takumars and old Pentax lenses for their superb manual focus, and then using them on modern Canon bodies to shoot movies.

I mean, why not reverse the tide? It's totally different thing for us to comprehend — Pentax doing a video camera (!) – but why bloody not?
06-04-2013, 07:36 AM   #1116
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Looking at local prices here, the K30 pretty well already is the entry-level model. It's only 30 bucks or so more than the D3200 for a camera with kit lens, after cashbacks and deals have been factored in - the headline price is 80-90 bucks more. It wouldn't be a great surprise if a "new" entry-level mode was a K30II, with a new sensor, some improvements and offered in K30II and K30IIs variants for, say, 10 or 15 per cent less than the original K30. After all, they did this last year with the K5II so they know it works.
The K-5II had the same sensor as the K-5.

If the K-30II has a new sensor - presumably improved - Pentax would be in the strange situation of having it's most-entry-level camera having better IQ than Pentax's best (sub-$7k) camera.
06-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #1117
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
The K-5II had the same sensor as the K-5.

If the K-30II has a new sensor - presumably improved - Pentax would be in the strange situation of having it's most-entry-level camera having better IQ than Pentax's best (sub-$7k) camera.
That would be possible but it's not a given. One can see the argument: 18-24 mp of el dubioso pixel performance but which is hot for video vs 16 mp primarily for stills of the finest pixels money can buy, before one even gets to camera features. If - if - Pentax are ramping up for an FF camera in 2014, they may simply not have enough capacity to upgrade their whole APS-C offering at the same time as prep their entry into FF. One can then see a line-up of "K3" (FF flagship) and eventually two APS-C DSLRs, one K5-ish and one K30-ish. However, you are probably quite right. Given the competition, it would certainly be challenging to launch a new DSLR now with less than a pretty good 18-24 mp sensor on board.
06-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #1118
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Yes, that's true. However the flip side is that you risk cannibalising sales of higher end units - although such units would be expected to have lower sales volumes I guess. Introducing the high end first won't cannabilse sales of the low end because those specifically in the market for the low end either can't afford the high end or do not need/want it (generally speaking of course).

TBH though I think we can predict what the next K mount DSLR models will be like. It's unlikely that anything truly unique or revolutionary will be introduced.

06-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #1119
ogl
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
There is also still the K-5 IIs Silver Limited Edition coming!
Really?
06-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #1120
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Really?
I hope so, but not counting as a new product I guess.
06-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #1121
Emperor and Senpai

How about a bright yellow one to go with my K-01 (aka the Yellow Brick)? Or I could simply do what that one guy did to a Leica, but with my K5 and yellow paint! Nah...
06-04-2013, 12:37 PM   #1122
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Like I said here or somewhere else a week or so ago, my local Pentax Rep (who shoots a D600 ) reckons there's only a low-end release this year that he actually knows of for certain.
So, he only knows about one low-end camera. That says almost nothing about Pentax' camera roadmap

But Pentax Ricoh started on 1st October. July 1st is a random milestone, don't get mad if they won't have anything by then.
06-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #1123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
Back to 2013 roadmap, I remember this so called K3 was expected last April, do we have more color about what this year should bring, bodies and glass wise?
Well, April 1 isn't a date you can rely on.
A more plausible month is September.

Sep 2012 K-5 IIs
Sep 2012 K-5 II
Sep 2010 K-5
Sep 2010 K-r
Sep 2009 K-x
May 2009 K-7
Sep 2008 K-m (= K2000)
06-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #1124
Pentaxian

September seems a random date, I wouldn't trust it too much
06-04-2013, 01:44 PM   #1125
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Like I said here or somewhere else a week or so ago, my local Pentax Rep (who shoots a D600 ) reckons there's only a low-end release this year that he actually knows of for certain. Pentax must be rejigging their entire line-up due to the lack of public releases (and statements) compared to everyone else. If that were actually true, I would expect current prices to dive shortly before the new line-up was announced though.
QuoteQuote:
Which is, kinda, bizarre tactics if that is all true.
And I think that is what makes PF members anxious and jittery. If Pentax really wants to rejig their entire line all at once .. I don't know. I personally don't believe in such an approach, takes too long and for too long you're below people's radars.

However, it seems Pentax Ricoh is comfortable with their decision, though. We aren't, but they are.
It would be bizarre if they had market share to lose. But in their current position can we really say that delaying all new releases 12 - 18 months to re-do the whole line will cost them any market share? It would be a huge mistake for Canon or Nikon to do that as the other would take advantage. In Pentax's case maybe they think there is nothing to lose and they gain more by getting the house in order before moving on? I am sure they are not happy to see Pentax owners moving to the competition for FF or other reasons but if they are not in a position to do something about it then maybe it is better to retrench and try to start all over when they have a new line ready.