Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-12-2013, 09:25 AM - 1 Like   #1216
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
I challenge Pentax that for 2014 all models have a direct WiFi to Flickr, Pentax Gallery, and Pentax Forums from in-camera or from iOS and Android apps.
A camera that reviews itself, complains about whatever (e.g. lack of FF cameras) and endlessly discuss "rumors"? That would be interesting...

I would rather have Pentax focus on basic, photography-related features; for example an amazing viewfinder system, or a truly advanced AF, an extra quiet, zero vibrations mirror/shutter mechanism etc. Then, catching up on those things which I don't care about, but seems relevant to some - video mode, for example (format/quality/duration, AF, aperture control etc).
But, I have nothing against extra features as long as they:
a. don't break anything
b. don't add up to the price (adding a feature can actually decrease the price of a camera, by making it more desirable and thus, higher volume)
I could even find uses for some.

06-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #1217
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
A camera that reviews itself, complains about whatever (e.g. lack of FF cameras) and endlessly discuss "rumors"? That would be interesting...

I would rather have Pentax focus on basic, photography-related features; for example an amazing viewfinder system, or a truly advanced AF, an extra quiet, zero vibrations mirror/shutter mechanism etc. Then, catching up on those things which I don't care about, but seems relevant to some - video mode, for example (format/quality/duration, AF, aperture control etc).
But, I have nothing against extra features as long as they:
a. don't break anything
b. don't add up to the price (adding a feature can actually decrease the price of a camera, by making it more desirable and thus, higher volume)
I could even find uses for some.
Input vs. output.

Increasingly the market is looking at the latter to keep sales going.

Ironically, connectivity is relatively easy to do and low cost, low overhead. One of the high praises Ricoh earned for its G-series has been its constant firmware updates.
06-12-2013, 09:37 AM - 2 Likes   #1218
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote

Problem is that the difference in ROI between IQ centric features and connectivity features is night and day. The new connectivity features are very easy to implement and some hardware is available off the shelf from OEMs. An amazing viewfinder system, truly advanced AF, extra quiet zero vibrations shutter mechanism needs years of research, without any guarantees of returns.

Now that IQ of most entry-level DSLRs have achieved a level, these other features that improve easier operation and workflow are differentiating factors.

Remember that we enthusiasts lurking on these forums do not represent mainstream DSLR consumers.
06-12-2013, 09:45 AM   #1219
Pentaxian

Of course; even affordable smartphones have advanced connectivity features.
They aren't trivial, though; I don't think - for example - that there is a network layer in the current Pentax firmware. OTOH, WiFi tethering would be a neat feature, IMO worth the effort.

06-12-2013, 10:47 AM   #1220
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's as if the camera makers WANT you to go to a PC at home to PP.
I don't know about you in NS but here we are repeatedly seeing the D3200 with the Wifi dongle commercials where users connect directly the camera to a tablet and share contents (tethering?!). Seems as though one company gets it...
06-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #1221
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
I don't know about you in NS but here we are repeatedly seeing the D3200 with the Wifi dongle commercials where users connect directly the camera to a tablet and share contents (tethering?!). Seems as though one company gets it...
I see that too during the Stanley Cup Playoffs. The guy in the forest trying to photograph the deer fawn while his social network looks over his shoulder....it's constantly running.

What they don't tell you is it $70+ tax extra!!!

And it sits like a kludge on the outside of your camera. How's that gonna work on a WR Pentax. It's not?

Nikon D3200 Wireless Mobile Adapter (WU-1A) : Camera Remotes - Best Buy Canada
06-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #1222
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Completely agree with you.

But people won't think about the inconvenience/issue though, they will think "Oh wow I can put my my baby's birthday party pictures on facebook right after I shoot them".

Pentax has to include it in-body or in-grip to make it better.
06-12-2013, 11:09 AM   #1223
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
"Oh wow I can put my my baby's birthday party pictures on facebook right after I shoot them".
Another reason why I won't go near facebook!

06-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #1224
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax has to include it in-body or in-grip to make it better.
Or to tablet and let the app guys take care of the rest.

The in-camera software should be set up to read a preferred device for transfer. default choices would be to keep RAW on SD and send JPEG's out, or other sub-options. Also, file size could be done for the JPEG's in-camera, too, likely scaling dow to web view. Saves battery and bandwidth.

Pentax could outsource an app that taps into the iOS/Android photo sets, looks for the Pentax EXIF, and offers direct link to the Pentax Gallery and a pre-set pro-Pentax groups, like this forum or Flickr groups.

Ideally the "picks" from this app could then be communicated back to the camera which could then delete the unwanted and archive the rest in a "get to later" folder for PC post.

Furthermore, the app should be able to control the camera as a tethered device. Take the current interface from the LCD readout of the DSLR and tether control it identically. The I/O to do so along with WiFi or Bluetooth (BT is lower power better) is something like a $7 chip smaller the size of a matchhead..

All sorts of options here to elaborate on the way we use our cameras. I am just thinking as to preserving DSLR sales when smartphones and their inherent connectivity are so radically changing photography. I find most of the Japanese camera makers so timid in their acceptance of networking and, like Sony and MP3 players, they are missing out on key opportunities.
06-12-2013, 11:42 AM   #1225
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Or to tablet and let the app guys take care of the rest.

The in-camera software should be set up to read a preferred device for transfer. default choices would be to keep RAW on SD and send JPEG's out, or other sub-options. Also, file size could be done for the JPEG's in-camera, too, likely scaling dow to web view. Saves battery and bandwidth.
Absolutely I am in agreement with your post. Just for the sake of clarity, I was referring to the wifi dongle, that should be built into the camera body to preserve weather resistance.
06-12-2013, 11:43 AM   #1226
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
It's strange that no any rumors about any new lenses....
06-12-2013, 11:50 AM   #1227
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
May be because no new lens will be announced tomorrow apart from the black version of 01 Standard Prime?

What do you Russian friends say?
06-12-2013, 11:56 AM   #1228
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
May be because no new lens will be announced tomorrow apart from the black version of 01 Standard Prime?

What do you Russian friends say?
It's 4 AM on June 13th in Tokyo right now. I'd expect the annoucement 'today' (for me, PDT).
06-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #1229

QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
What about the shield cap mount lens?
06-12-2013, 12:12 PM   #1230
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Very true. Still don't have the specs or photos for the K-500 wit less than a day to go. A very leak proof organization. Is it going to be all three cameras announce tomorrow or are the announcements going to be spread out over a few weeks? What about te lenses? We are already in the 6th month and there are several lenses in the lens roadmap that are suppose to be release this year. Just maybe we will see one of these lenses along with the camera(s) announcement(s).

Dave