Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Your toys > My toys
Your toys <=> my toys .

My comments >> <sarc> your comments.

02-19-2013, 07:24 PM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Damn, I just bought a Corvette Z06 and next thing you know they release a 457 Convertible - this when we all know the C-8 is coming out next September (I know it is. I saw the pictures on PentaxForums). Well I'm done. I'm outta there. Last time they burn me with a new model. And the C-8 isn't even built on a full metal frame.
I know exactly how you feel !!!...in the '70's, I bought a new Pentax ES11...the last of the screwmounts...a few months later Pentax brought out the K bayonet mount...if I'd have known I would of held out for a K2.

Dang Pentax !

02-19-2013, 07:41 PM   #63
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
if I'd have known I would of held out for a K2.
But then you wouldn't have had the joy of using a new-to-you K2 35 years later when NOBODY understood. <g>

I used Spotmatics on the HS newspaper 1970-1973 and a series of Instamatics through college. Then my g'mother gave me the KX as a graduation present - in 1977. Got an MESuper in 1984 - I think the SuperProgram and A lenses were right around the corner, but I missed that, too. Yeah, I missed everything in between. There's always something better right around the corner.

So I've bought and used and sold all these old Pentax cameras that I missed and what a blast it has been! But I'm about finished with all of that.

And the Corvette comment was sarcasm.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-19-2013 at 07:47 PM.
02-19-2013, 08:34 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
It's Japanese magazine's forecast
Nippon Camera, monthly
Interesting news. Now I doubt this magazine is able to predict accurately all of the models by all of those companies. I see it as conjecture, wishful thinking. I would expect a revised 645D to be released before the K3. Are their any major trade shows coming up in April?

02-19-2013, 08:59 PM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I know exactly how you feel !!!...in the '70's, I bought a new Pentax ES11...the last of the screwmounts...a few months later Pentax brought out the K bayonet mount...if I'd have known I would of held out for a K2.

Dang Pentax !

Yes we bought two Spotmatic Fs the year before the release of the K mount and ended up more or less stuck with them until the late 80s. Also if I had waited a couple more months instead of buying the K-r I would have got the K30 which would last me longer before upgrading. I never understood why anyone with a K5 would feel the need to upgrade to the K5II instead of waiting for a bigger upgrade, I thought the K5Ii was a replacement for the K5 so anyone buying either new to Pentax or upgrading from an older model would have one improved from the original.

When the K5 was announced there were complaints that there was too much lead time and it was unfair to announce a camera and not have it in the stores the next day and there is also the complaint that Pentax does not announce way in advance what all they are doing. It is a product and we buy what we need when we need it. A professional does not wait to buy if he needs a piece of equipment nor does he buy what he does not need. If people want Pentax to support pros then perhaps they should act more like a pro.

I doubt very much that Pentax assumed that many would move up from a K5 to a K5II and that those who went for the K5IIs went for a specific purpose. So there was the choice of leaving the K5 as it was or offering an improved version instead. So if you bought the improved version you are ahead of what you would of been if they had staid with the K5 Classic. Rather than being burnt you are ahead. If you think you must upgrade with each new model than I think the II in the model name gave a hint that there was more to come in the near future. If I had bought a K5II I would be happy shooting it as if it was not good enough why buy it in the first place? On the other hand if enough people feel they were burnt by buying the very best that Pentax had to offer a couple of months ago they can offer to sell me one or two at a very good price Buying one the day or week before an announcement might feel bad but a few months prior you had the use of it for some time already.
02-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
But then you wouldn't have had the joy of using a new-to-you K2 35 years later when NOBODY understood. <g>

I used Spotmatics on the HS newspaper 1970-1973 and a series of Instamatics through college. Then my g'mother gave me the KX as a graduation present - in 1977. Got an MESuper in 1984 - I think the SuperProgram and A lenses were right around the corner, but I missed that, too. Yeah, I missed everything in between. There's always something better right around the corner.

There always is....In the late '60's I worked for a publishing company as an editorial assist...then had to expand my usefulness and take publishable photo's. To do that I bought my first 35mm slr...a new Pentax S1a in '68.

Two film cameras that I didn't get...but almost did...was a NOS Nikon F Photomic and a Pentax LX. I bought a new Mamiya TLR and 3 Mamiya-Sekor lenses instead of the LX. I regret not getting the LX or the F....but on the other hand I bought a 30 year old Leica 11f Rangefinder in '82. In the digital age I've accrued a K10D, K-m and K-5...I'm happy.

So I've bought and used and sold all these old Pentax cameras that I missed and what a blast it has been! But I'm about finished with all of that.

And the Corvette comment was sarcasm.
I know. There's another item I let slip through my fingers....a Corvette. In '78 I had the opportunity to buy a '62 Corvette, 327/ 340 hp....4 speed transmission. I did buy a 'Vette though...unfortunately a Chevette.

Les
02-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Seems to me K3/K3s is basically K5ii/K5iiS with the improved tech currently in the K30 with perhaps a newer better sensor.

Prime M processor (or whatever it's called)
Focus Peaking

guess pretty much what the K5iiS SHOULD have been, instead of its current specs. I think the K5ii was more of an interim model and K30 is meant to stay for awhile.

02-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Seems to me K3/K3s is basically K5ii/K5iiS with the improved tech currently in the K30 with perhaps a newer better sensor.

Focus Peaking

guess pretty much what the K5iiS SHOULD have been, instead of its current specs. I think the K5ii was more of an interim model and K30 is meant to stay for awhile.
I'll take one if they also improve AF-C.
02-19-2013, 10:50 PM   #69
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
some of you must think I'm trolling or something. The fact is I do stop buying products from a manufacture if I get burned once because I don't really have a brand loyalty and I can only vote with my wallet. (Obviously everyone's threshold is different in determine whether he/she has been burned so there's really no point in arguing that.) I understand why fans want K-3 to come out sooner rather than later and it's just in my opinion that it might not be the best move from business perspective. Anyhow, it's just an opinion and obviously not a well supported one here based on the comments and all the attempts to make fun of it. Either way, move on.

Last edited by ruggiex; 02-19-2013 at 10:56 PM.
02-19-2013, 11:04 PM   #70
Pentaxian

Sony SLT Alpha 58 was announced a couple hours ago and it features a brand new 20 Mpixels sensor.
02-19-2013, 11:11 PM - 2 Likes   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
The fact is I do stop buying products from a manufacture if I get burned once...
I don't understand why you get " burned" when there is a new Pentax APS-C flagship.

Normally people buy a camera because they feel that its performance will suit their needs. A new flagship doesn't change the performance of the previous flagship so I don't understand what damage may have been caused. If you buy a camera to own the flagship then I could see why you feel "burnt" but I think owning the flagship is not a good goal, nor should a company respect such goals (with the exception of a few "status symbol" companies).

Last edited by Class A; 02-22-2013 at 04:12 PM.
02-19-2013, 11:43 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I don't understand why you get " burned" when there is a new Pentax APS-C flagship.
It's not that I would feel burned because there's a new flagship. It's the shortened life cycle that would make me feel burned if I was in those buyers' shoes. There's always a new flagship coming sometime in the future -- that's expected. However, if I make a purchase decision based on expecting the K-5 II/s to last about a year, which is already shorter than the usual for flagship even if it's 'just an upgrade' and I don't see why it's so unreasonable, then they make it even shorter, I am not going to feel too good about the purchase. The life of a product is part of the value evaluation when I purchase an item. It really doesn't matter if I were being stupid and missed all the signs saying K-5 II is interim product, the psychological effect is there. Of course, I knew K-5 II is an interim product that's ultimately what stopped me from upgrading to IIs.
02-19-2013, 11:57 PM   #73
Pentaxian

What are you trying to say? That the K-5 II will self-destroy, as soon as a higher-end model appears? Otherwise I can't understand how it would not "last about a year"

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote

Focus Peaking

Wow, all this, only from a name? You're good!
02-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
What are you trying to say? That the K-5 II will self-destroy, as soon as a higher-end model appears? Otherwise I can't understand how it would not "last about a year"
New model devalues old model. Faster a new one comes faster the old one devalues. Maybe I'm just way more frugal than the most of you, idk.
02-20-2013, 12:17 AM   #75
Pentaxian

Frugal? Then the issue is being able to sell it (after a while) for a few extra $$? Because otherwise a higher end model announcement will not take money out of your pocket, nor would it affect how your camera performs.
Should Pentax not launch a higher end model just to protect second hand prices on current models? I don't think so.

P.S. Think about how K-3 owners would feel, if Pentax would later launch a FF camera!