Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 146 Likes Search this Thread
02-26-2013, 07:02 AM   #271
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Can it be considered a mistake to be a willing master? Pentax Imaging wasn't exactly a juggernaut in the years before the Hoya takeover.
It certainly wasn't a juggernaut, but I do recall the K10d being a rather significant product which brought me into the Pentax fold when I was looking to step up to a DSLR years ago. At that point, I considered leaving my Pentax lenses with the film bodies and going to another maker's digital body, but the press and the sales help at the local camera store was hugely positive on the K10d. For the money, it was head and shoulders above everything else in the store.

02-26-2013, 07:06 AM   #272
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
The expectations are always unrealistic.
Mine aren't
And I don't agree that news and rumors sections should always degenerate into counter-productive talk and blatant misinformation.
02-26-2013, 07:10 AM   #273
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Completely agree with GeneV about the K10.
Fantastic camera. I still have and use mine, mostly with manual lenses on now though.
02-26-2013, 07:17 AM   #274
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
And I don't agree that news and rumors sections should always degenerate into counter-productive talk and blatant misinformation.
In principle you may be right. But based on experience, I am afraid I have to stand by my opinion.

02-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #275
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mickey Quote
Completely agree with GeneV about the K10.
Fantastic camera. I still have and use mine, mostly with manual lenses on now though.
Funny, but that is exactly what I use mine for now. Something about the sensor looks terrific with them, and the inexpensive cut K1000 screen from Ebay dropped in and worked without a shim.
02-26-2013, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #276
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'll repeat yet again: Knowing their new master very well, Pentax under Ricoh will be forced to get their act together. I find it's very surprising that we didn't see a very radical change is Pentax already. There's no doubt in my mind that Pentax will do much better in the future. I'm very much looking forward to the K-3s. Knowing myself, I'm probably amongst the first to preorder it.

Secondly, I didn't switch. I'm still a Pentax fanboy. (Maybe that's why I can't take Pentax goofing up so well?) I own a Ist*D, K10D, K110D (converted to IR), K20D, K7, two K5's and huge load of lenses. The off-brand gear that I have (Canon 5DmkII, 6D and NEX) doesn't wheigh up at all.

And third, anyone here is allowed to state facts. If I'm free to state that I find the quality of my FA limiteds to rank right up there with the widely renowed Canon L glass -which is not just my own opinion- then you hear nobody complain. Same goes when I tell that the Pentax 50mm 1.2 is so very much better then the Canon 50mm 1.2, that most of my befriended (pro) Canon shooters have it in their inventory, use it regularly and curse Canon for not being able to produce it themselves. But as soon as it's the other way round people start preaching the virtues of censorship.

I live in a very free country. On the local Pentax forums such issues can be discussed very openly and without people becomming angry. I am sorry for thinking this was the same on this forum. In future I will refrain from any negative comments about Pentax.
02-26-2013, 08:01 AM   #277
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I live in a very free country. On the local Pentax forums such issues can be discussed very openly and without people becomming angry. I am sorry for thinking this was the same on this forum. In future I will refrain from any negative comments about Pentax.
Clavius, don't you understand that you provoke reactions when you make obviously false or distorted claims about the performance of Pentax gear? It's always interesting to hear the opinions of people who use several systems such as you, but if you don't check your facts before making bold claims like the one about the buffer capacity of the K-5, you end up losing credibility. It's simple as that.

02-26-2013, 08:03 AM   #278
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I'll repeat, there is no rule against misinformation, whether blatant or unintentional. If members see any behaviour considered to be badgering or harassing another member, it should be put forward to the moderator team in the form of a report of the post in question.
I can imagine the said villain doing a waltz (the rumplestiltzkin kind) round his PC on reading this.

In this mode, this forum serves to protect the naysayers/misinformation/trolls/etc over those who actually contribute positively with actual photos/ reviews/ info/ samples/ etc.
02-26-2013, 08:15 AM   #279
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
Clavius, don't you understand that you provoke reactions when you make obviously false or distorted claims about the performance of Pentax gear? It's always interesting to hear the opinions of people several systems such as you, but if you don't check your facts before making bold claims like the one about the buffer capacity of the K-5, you end up losing credibility. It's simple as that.
I agree with what you write here but there is a flipside to this story as well...if someone only says positive things about Pentax, never acknowledging the negative, and saying that Pentax can do no wrong then they have no credibility as well. Every company has their missteps and to always spin those into positive does no one any good. People should know the good and the bad whwn they invest thousands into a product.
02-26-2013, 08:31 AM   #280
Pentaxian

Clavius: Limit yourself to stating facts, and I won't complain; what I disagreed with were factually (and mathematically) wrong claims. Opinions are fine, too, if stated as such; constructive criticism is welcome. I can clearly see the bad parts, being even "burned" with some Pentax products (e.g. the K-5, spots on sensor and tungsten AF); it's not like I see Pentax through rose-colored glasses.

cali92rs, I don't think there is anyone here who would claim Pentax can do no wrong; in any case, blatant misinformation should not be excused - because in the end both FUD and hype (mentioning the extremes) will be damaging to the brand and, consequently, to the tools we're using.
02-26-2013, 08:39 AM   #281
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
... I own a Ist*D, K10D, K110D (converted to IR), K20D, K7, two K5's and huge load of lenses. The off-brand gear that I have (Canon 5DmkII, 6D and NEX) doesn't wheigh up at all ...
You must live in a big house then. Can we take it as officially confirmed that you do? Bear in mind that thousands of people will be studying your answer very carefully and many will run it through translator programmes - into Japanese and then perhaps Russian, before translating back into English - in order to obtain every last nuance from the statement. What you say may possibly be the subject of a front-page news item and the start of a new forum section - Pentax Real Estate Rumours - which will soon fill up with so many posts that a few enterprising fellows will make good money selling summaries of the latest threads. Bear in mind that some folks will be on the look out for "obviously false or distorted claims" that you live inside a buttercup, for example, or in a cloud-capped tower at the top of a mountain called Shanghri-La.

I don't really mind what people post providing it's decent and not impolite or aggressive. I don't think a boring forum would be much fun at all. A forum section title like "Pentax News and Rumours" could be said to license fantasy from the get-go. (I'm not imputing that to you, Clavius. I like your posts even when I don't agree with them.)

Last edited by mecrox; 02-26-2013 at 09:13 AM.
02-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #282
Pentaxian

Actually, News definitely shouldn't be fantasy and even Rumors should have some truth (at least some source) behind them.
We need a "Science Fiction and Alternative Mathematics" section. Badly.
02-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #283
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I lost track of what was the original intent of this thread and I had to go back here:, :

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/215985-new-pentax-cameras-2013-a.html

specifically on the first few posts, to refresh my memory.

JP
02-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #284
Pentaxian

Yeah, unfortunately:
a. that's a prediction (a realistic one, IMO)
b. the details are very, very scarce.

By the way, I'm curios where did these appear:
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
So let's talk specs. APS-C K-3 with 24Mp, still 6-6.5fps with even more superior high ISO performance? MF 645D II with 60Mp, movie mode with full HD at 50fps, 3fps stills and ISO to 6400? What else?
Probably speculation/prediction (like the subject of the thread itself); but is it? Ash?
02-26-2013, 12:24 PM   #285

I'm confused about the K-3. Is it replacing the K-5 IIs, or is it a new line?