Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 146 Likes Search this Thread
02-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #286
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by memo90061 Quote
I'm confused about the K-3. Is it replacing the K-5 IIs, or is it a new line?
I think the answer to that is "yes" - i.e. your guess is as good as anyone else (except those who have signed an NDA).

02-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #287

Photos: Gallery
Hahah. It's what I thought after I posted. I forgot we only have rumors.
02-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #288
Veteran Member

Even when the K3 is announced Pentax will still state that the K5ii/s is continuing in the line-up. They have done this with nearly every camera for over a decade.
02-26-2013, 01:14 PM   #289
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
Even when the K3 is announced Pentax will still state that the K5ii/s is continuing in the line-up. They have done this with nearly every camera for over a decade.
Yes, but there have been some speculations here that the K-3 is a higher-level camera so that they would really keep the K-5 as a separate line between the K-3 and the K-30. I doubt that though, from a naming perspective it would make sense if they had K-3, K-30 - and introduced a K-300 as well :-) But then meaningful nomenclature hasn't really been the strongest side of Pentax

02-26-2013, 01:47 PM   #290
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
In this mode, this forum serves to protect the naysayers/misinformation/trolls/etc over those who actually contribute positively with actual photos/ reviews/ info/ samples/ etc
Absolutely not. There is only defence for freedom of speech, otherwise partiality and unfairness will denigrate the forum. There is no room for trolling, but those who know will barely make any impact on those who assert themselves falsely (yet continually) to change their minds or hearts in discussions, especially on an online forum. There will always be naysayers, and I for one have always deplored such attitudes, whether or not they are misguided. But in a free (although private) forum, there is encouragement of open (yet friendly) discussion, and as such misinformation can (and should be) addressed in kind.

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
I don't really mind what people post providing it's decent and not impolite or aggressive.
This is a good premise to go by.

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I'm still a Pentax fanboy. (Maybe that's why I can't take Pentax goofing up so well?) I own a Ist*D, K10D, K110D (converted to IR), K20D, K7, two K5's and huge load of lenses. The off-brand gear that I have (Canon 5DmkII, 6D and NEX) doesn't wheigh up at all
This statement goes against most of the arguments on Pentax gear you have made to date. It is difficult to interpret such statements when there is contradiction. The FF and MILC cameras mentioned are quite different beasts to the APS-C Pentax dSLRs and overall serve somewhat different purposes, making comparisons difficult. Nevertheless, the K-3 should be quite a welcome introduction to the Pentax lineup, bearing in mind that Pentax do have a greatly limited capacity to churn out new products. Notwithstanding this, as the sole consumer-level dSLR to come into being in 2013 for Pentax, the K-3 will need to be a good one.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
blatant misinformation should not be excused - because in the end both FUD and hype (mentioning the extremes) will be damaging to the brand and, consequently, to the tools we're using
It will all come out in the wash in the end. Informed viewers will know to take most things said on forums with a grain of salt - few things in the world are less authoritative as a source of good advice. But the responses to such misinformation should lead viewers to note that a particular poster's opinion lacks credibility, with a corollary of respect given to posters with sound backing of knowledge and experience.

Now back to the discussion, the K-3 could well be a K-5 successor, but I do wonder how that fits into the lineup. With the K-5 II only recently being released, the K-3 seems to promptly introduced to put the K-5 II out of the consumer spotlight. How probable would it be for Pentax to come out with a FF dSLR this quickly? Where is the entry-level successor to the K-r?
02-26-2013, 01:50 PM   #291
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
By the way, I'm curios where did these appear:
Originally posted by Ash
So let's talk specs. APS-C K-3 with 24Mp, still 6-6.5fps with even more superior high ISO performance? MF 645D II with 60Mp, movie mode with full HD at 50fps, 3fps stills and ISO to 6400? What else?
Probably speculation/prediction (like the subject of the thread itself); but is it? Ash?
Purely and simply made up specs. I have as much of an idea of the actual details as anyone else here.
02-26-2013, 02:27 PM   #292
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I live in a very free country. On the local Pentax forums such issues can be discussed very openly and without people becomming angry. I am sorry for thinking this was the same on this forum. In future I will refrain from any negative comments about Pentax.
I don't think negative comments about Pentax are a problem. But implied and overt negative comments about those who post differing opinions are bound to generate some friction, don't you think?

If your objective is truly to discuss, learn and enlighten, dialing back the personal attack knob a couple of notches will help.

02-26-2013, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #293
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
I don't think negative comments about Pentax are a problem. But implied and overt negative comments about those who post differing opinions are bound to generate some friction, don't you think?

If your objective is truly to discuss, learn and enlighten, dialing back the personal attack knob a couple of notches will help.
Any comment of any kind outside the conventional wisdom draws pointed criticism from a few users. The actual few are dependent upon just what the "outside the box" comment is - but there are always a few who are aggressive, borderline personal, and persistently so.

I put them on my ignore list, but I also don't comment as often or as directly as I once did. Sometimes I go away for several months at a time, and when I come back my experience is always the same - after a few weeks I just get tired of it.

And - I've been gently warned once or twice by Moderators to keep things friendly, for what I thought were merely "in kind" responses to such posts.

Last edited by monochrome; 02-27-2013 at 07:00 PM.
02-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #294
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Any comment of any kind outside the conventional wisdom draws pointed criticism from a few users....
As do some comments which seem firmly within conventional wisdom.
02-27-2013, 12:46 AM   #295
Veteran Member

My, talk about going off topic! (gentle hint). As far as I can see, a K-5 IIs with improved tracking focus would be almost perfect for me. Anything else the K-3 can offer would be a bonus as far as I'm concerned - and yes, I'd buy it.
02-27-2013, 01:03 AM   #296
Veteran Member

A camera above the K-5 has been rumoured since the time the K-5 appeared as a rumour - and it was the same with the K-7 before that.

This doesn't make it true. However, if the K-3 is being announced in March it doesn't make much sense for it to directly replace the K-5II. The two scenarios are that the K-3 slots in above the K-5II/s or the K-5II/s receives a pay cut and the K-3 fills it's previous price point.

Until we get some solid rumours it's hard to say which is more likely.
02-27-2013, 01:17 AM   #297
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
A camera above the K-5 has been rumoured since the time the K-5 appeared as a rumour - and it was the same with the K-7 before that.
I agree, but it's difficult to see that Pentax can remain offering 16 mp when the opposition has moved to 24-ish. Regardless of whether we actually need the extra pixels, it's a good marketing ploy. A lot of people are now persuaded they "need" FF and at least 24 mp to take good photographs. Nonsense, of course, but that's the power of advertising.
02-27-2013, 01:45 AM   #298
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I agree, but it's difficult to see that Pentax can remain offering 16 mp when the opposition has moved to 24-ish. Regardless of whether we actually need the extra pixels, it's a good marketing ploy. A lot of people are now persuaded they "need" FF and at least 24 mp to take good photographs. Nonsense, of course, but that's the power of advertising.
The sensor is the most certain part of a potential K-3 package. It will be either 20 or 24mp because that's what's available, and as you say it is what will sell. Nikon has spread 24mp through pretty much it's whole APS-C line-up. Pentax can't afford to ignore that.
02-27-2013, 01:45 AM   #299
Pentaxian

I don't think Pentax has been very good about communicating about coming models.

Also they are not very good in the area of white papers. When was the last time you read an interesting white paper from Pentax explaining a new feature in their AF system, an improvement in the WB system, or an innovation in coating technology in their lenses?

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 02-27-2013 at 06:09 AM.
03-03-2013, 03:08 AM   #300

Hoping for a K3 with no AA-fliter and 24Mpx