Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2013, 04:55 PM   #361
Veteran Member

Er guys. What if they introduce wifi and connect to your smart phone.? Do you want to pay extra for swivel screen and risk failure?

03-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #362
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Swivel LCD goes with enhanced video capabilities, a spot where Pentax is non-competitive at the price point.

The best DSLR for video the Canon 5D MKIII has no swivel or tilt and do not see it holding them back
03-10-2013, 07:34 AM - 2 Likes   #363
Pentaxian

Just came back from a photo exhibition in Helsinki. This annual event is one of the highlights of the year for photo enthusiasts here.

Pentax had a quite decent stand, althought nowhere near the size of the big two. Visiting the stand first thing in the morning allowed me to chat with the Pentax rep for a while without too many interruptions. He confirmed what we already know about the high-end APS-C model coming in the near future.

The other thing -which was all new to me - was that there is a new entry-level DSLR to be announced this year.
Will be interesting to see whether it will replace the K-30, or just increase the number of product lines.
About the FF he did not seem to have any more information than what has already been discussed here.
03-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #364
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PePe Quote
Just came back from a photo exhibition in Helsinki. This annual event is one of the highlights of the year for photo enthusiasts here.

Pentax had a quite decent stand, althought nowhere near the size of the big two. Visiting the stand first thing in the morning allowed me to chat with the Pentax rep for a while without too many interruptions. He confirmed what we already know about the high-end APS-C model coming in the near future.

The other thing -which was all new to me - was that there is a new entry-level DSLR to be announced this year.
Will be interesting to see whether it will replace the K-30, or just increase the number of product lines.
About the FF he did not seem to have any more information than what has already been discussed here.
I believe the K-30 is mid-range and a third line will be introduced below K-30, i.e. entry level. More plastic and a feature set on the control dial closer to the K-01 (no U1, U2 or TAv and loss of a few more buttons). I know nothing - just an insight.

K-3
K-30
K-300

Last edited by monochrome; 03-10-2013 at 08:16 AM.
03-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #365
Pentaxian

A camera like the K-30 can't be made cheap enough to compete with the plastic-fantastic Canikons. I expect a lower-end Pentax DSLR, too, in any case a cheaper K-mount camera is IMO needed.
Well, an alternative would be a K-02 - more DSLR-like, with optional EVF; but I doubt they'll go with that.
03-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #366
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Well, an alternative would be a K-02 - more DSLR-like, with optional EVF; but I doubt they'll go with that.
K-01 internals in a low-end dSLR body? They did say it isn't completely discontinued.
03-10-2013, 08:52 AM   #367
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I hope the K-3 comes out so that the prices for first generation K-5 bodies will drop enough for me to buy one.

03-10-2013, 08:58 AM   #368
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
K-01 internals in a low-end dSLR body? They did say it isn't completely discontinued.
I'm talking about another mirrorless K-mount camera, same overall concept as the K-01 but with some differences:
- a more "classic" design (as in: the kind of design people are expecting to see on a camera)
- optional EVF
- remove some restrictions, e.g. the RAW buffer - so overall the specs would be competitive with other entry level DSLRs/MILCs
- built more to a budget than for style/fashion.
The idea being that the removal of the PD-AF system and the mirror+optical viewfinder would lower the production costs.
I'm not sure it would work, just saying it's a possibility.
03-10-2013, 09:07 AM - 1 Like   #369
Veteran Member

I'm glad to hear your news PePe. Pentax needs a K-r level DSLR (pentaprism, one control wheel, menu driven, not WR). Low cost DSLR's lure new users into the brand.
03-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #370
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I'm glad to hear your news PePe. Pentax needs a K-r level DSLR (pentaprism, one control wheel, menu driven, not WR). Low cost DSLR's lure new users into the brand.
Exactly what got me into Pentax my k-x.
03-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #371
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I believe the K-30 is mid-range and a third line will be introduced below K-30, i.e. entry level. More plastic and a feature set on the control dial closer to the K-01 (no U1, U2 or TAv and loss of a few more buttons). I know nothing - just an insight.

K-3
K-30
K-300
A product range like that would definitely appeal to a much broader customer base.
And a full frame on top of that in 2014 would be the cherry on the topping! Well, there is nothing wrong with daydreaming...
In any case I look forward to seeing the specification for the K-5 replacement.
03-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #372
Veteran Member

I think they could expand on the K01 concept with combining it with the LX concept.

Bring out exchangeable EVFS. Have one for looking down, one for standard view, etc. I would be interested in this for sure... as long as it was more egronimic than the K01 and no where near as ugly.
03-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #373
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hangman43 Quote
The best DSLR for video the Canon 5D MKIII has no swivel or tilt and do not see it holding them back
But there are numerous third party tethers for articulated viewing which is necessary in video.

In the prosumer arena, that capacity needs to be built i.
03-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #374
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
A camera like the K-30 can't be made cheap enough to compete with the plastic-fantastic Canikons. I expect a lower-end Pentax DSLR, too, in any case a cheaper K-mount camera is IMO needed.
I love my K-01...I would jump all over a K-02!
03-12-2013, 08:36 PM   #375
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Sure...and that makes it much less of a niche market than a FF body

I'm hoping they make the SD card door solid like the old K10D/K20D body...never really liked the K-5's doors...but I'd be happy if they added USB 3.0 and a tethering API...
The K-5ii memory card door is so much better than the K-5 door