Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 146 Likes Search this Thread
03-28-2013, 12:06 AM   #436
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lurch Quote
This message does not exist (anymore) on the FB page of Pentax Snaps Australia. Was it made up or removed?

03-28-2013, 12:09 AM   #437
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
not sure a) this link will work, or b) you have to 'like' them to read it
https://www.facebook.com/PentaxSnaps/posts/505495782844444?comment_id=181060..._comment_reply
03-28-2013, 12:12 AM   #438
Pentaxian

That link works, thanks!

QuoteQuote:
Pentax Snaps Australia Hey Linda Fury it's not a new camera, but people might be upgrading to new cameras!
I.e. move on, nothing to see there
03-28-2013, 03:16 AM   #439
Veteran Member

If you are getting images from APS-C with the same commercial-levels-of-quality as FF, why bother making a FF camera? APS-C is smaller, lighter, cheaper, better. I'd improve what I already have -- maybe with a built-in 4G smartphone connection do a pro on location could instantly get images to an editor. And I'd sell it with a new 70-200mm f/2.8 WR lens, for sports and action photographers... which would yield 350mm FF equiv, and that's all you need.

Everything else is marketing, marketing, marketing. Testimonial after testimonial from people making a living with Pentax cameras. "Pentax -- for professionals." Over and over and over. And -- that video from the soldier in Afghanistan, using his Pentax in the muck. Worth a thousand words!

Last edited by jon404; 03-28-2013 at 03:26 AM.
03-28-2013, 03:27 AM   #440
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
If you are getting images from APS-C with the same commercial-levels-of-quality as FF, why bother making a FF camera? APS-C is smaller, lighter, cheaper, better. I'd improve what I already have -- maybe with a built-in 4G smartphone connection do a pro on location could instantly get images to an editor. And I'd sell it with a new 70-200mm f/2.8 WR lens, for sports and action photographers... which would yield 350mm FF equiv, and that's all you need.

Everything else is marketing, marketing, marketing. Testimonial after testimonial from people making a living with Pentax cameras. "Pentax -- for professionals." Over and over and over. And -- that video from the soldier in Afghanistan, using his Pentax in the muck. Worth a thousand words!
Sounds great! I wish Pentax would really push the marketing.
03-28-2013, 04:32 AM - 1 Like   #441
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
If you are getting images from APS-C with the same commercial-levels-of-quality as FF, why bother making a FF camera? APS-C is smaller, lighter, cheaper, better ...!
Ah, dear Gawd,
Not again.... Pleaseeee.
For once, please remember that all those people asking for FF DSLR from Pentax are not stupid or backward oriented. Because for MOST of its life, Pentax produced 35mm film SLRs, and Pentax was the FIRST ever manufacturer to reach "10 MILLIONS lenses" mark!

There are HUNDREDS OF TONS of FF ready lenses out there for Pentax mount. Yet Pentax avoided making FF DSLRs for 12 years already, which has cost them AN AWFUL LOT. They have lost more and became more marginalised brand by not issuing an FF digital camera than what they could ever spend and lose on actually making one, and achieving a theoretical loss — say, if they designed a total theoretical rubbish of a FF DSLR.

However you turn it, it all points to a conclusion that Pentax DOES NOT listen to its audience, don't care about what people desire for, don't secure the prospects of its most popular mount, all up to a level of total absurdity — if not business stupidity. For example, Pentax will rather spend money and time on development of a compromised prospect like K01, and not make it complete, well rounded and meaningful, but won't spend a year more to deliver a meaningful FF DSLR camera for enthusiasts.

Even in the case of fire sales, K01 sells now for $300 with a lens, because they want to get rid of it. Don't you think that even a lens and a battery are worth $300, without a camera? But imagine a fire sale of a FF DSLR camera! Even at a firesale price of $1200, that would be still be a BARGAIN, and they would sell TONS of them.

Thus no wonder it is the perception that Pentax has close to nil business sense, that Pentax is its own worst enemy, and not some Nikon or Canon. It also makes many people unnerving because so many missed out opportunities and constant ignoring of its audience points to a peculiar stubbornness and an absence of basic common sense.

And THAT amazement and bewilderment of people who can still use their brains is the real reason behind these monstruously long threads. Is it really THEIR fault that they still can't believe they have invested in prospects with a total bozo of an imaging company, a company that will come late even to its own funeral?

Last edited by Uluru; 03-28-2013 at 04:53 AM.
03-28-2013, 04:33 AM   #442
Pentaxian

Uluru, too complicated. I just want a better viewfinder

$1200 won't happen, don't even dream about that (it wouldn't generate that many sales, just losses). Over $2000 is a given.

03-28-2013, 04:52 AM   #443
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Uluru, I cannot understand how someone holding your opinions stays with Pentax.
03-28-2013, 05:01 AM   #444
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Thus no wonder it is the perception that Pentax has close to nil business sense, that Pentax is its own worst enemy, and not some Nikon or Canon
Most all of your posting is both opinion AND also fact.

Pentax will most likely never see the glory days of the K1000 generation.

Yet other cameras have left Pentax in mostly prosumer mode. Nikon can do a full frame for under 2k, Sony can do it for a bit more in price, etc... Also take a look at the ever elusive sales numbers. Pentax will naturally never reach Canon or Nikon sales, but now will also never reach even Sony sales.

It's almost like having a computer company that only sells their computers with 2gb or ram and also nothing but an i3 chip.

Sure sales might increase somewhat, but also take a serious perspective look at how many are wanting to (or worse are needing to) jump ship.

If Pentax isn't interested in properly marketing, distributing, or also even listening to most of it's market - then please sell the darn company to someone who will - or at least start selling some of the licensing.
03-28-2013, 05:10 AM   #445
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Uluru, too complicated. I just want a better viewfinder

$1200 won't happen, don't even dream about that (it wouldn't generate that many sales, just losses). Over $2000 is a given.
$1200 was a theoretical fire-sale point of the FF camera I used as a theoretical comparison against the K-01 project. $1200 is NOT its RRP.
03-28-2013, 06:56 AM   #446
Pentaxian

As a street price, it won't happen.
03-28-2013, 07:31 AM - 1 Like   #447
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think it is a little funny that people worry about where Pentax, as a brand, stands in relation to other companies. The only thing that matters to me is: Does Pentax make products that suit me (my priorities)? The answer is "yes". I would probably never own a Nikon for one simple reason: If you want to use legacy screwmount (m42) lenses, you either give up infinity focus or use an adapter that has a piece of glass in it. I love using old glass. The CZJ Electric Flektogon 35mm f2.4 is an amazing lens (cost me $40). The Tele-Takumar 200mm f5.6 preset produces stunning images (cost me $15).

The Pentax K-5 was announced in Sept. 2010 (2-1/2 years ago!). It is still among the very top APS-C cameras you can own. If I'm honest with myself, it would take me many years (if ever) to outgrow its capabilities. Most peoples problem with DSLRs is the autofocus. They want the camera to do everything for them. Last time I looked, a metric buttload of good imagery was produced by photographers who didn't even have autofocus available to them. Learn to manual focus! Autofocus is for wussies and will cost you more shots than it will gain you.

Pentax also shows innovation that you just don't see in the other companies. Both the 645D and the Q/Q10 are amazing. The O-GPS1 is an amazing device and no other manufacturer makes anything like it. Pentax engineers took the Sony sensor they put in the K-x (and later cameras) and got more out of it than Sony (or anybody else) did, from the same sensor.

Look, my first DSLR was a K200D. It had a Samsung sensor and lousy high ISO performance, but I loved the K-mount, the internal shake reduction, and the fact that it took AA batteries. I graduated to the K-x (a great camera) and now the K-5 (a superbly Great Camera). Pentax made these strides - all of this - while transitioning to new ownership and under new ownership (Hoya's). I think everybody agrees that Ricoh is going to be a better owner than Hoya was. I think more great things are on the horizon and I'm not worried about Pentax the brand or their legacy. I'm concerned with figuring out how to make best use of all of the great tools that Pentax has already put at my disposal.
03-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #448
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cheekygeek Quote

Look, my first DSLR was a K200D. It had a Samsung sensor and lousy high ISO performance, .
K200D never had Samsung sensor.

K20D and K-7 had 14.6 MP Samsung sensors.
By the way, K20D was not bad at high ISO at one time.
03-28-2013, 08:16 AM   #449
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cheekygeek Quote
Autofocus is for wussies and will cost you more shots than it will gain you.
That is true for substandard AF systems. The top-notch predictive AF systems are truly amazing, and can track and lock focus faster than someone with a long focus throw MF lens can accomplish.
03-28-2013, 09:02 AM   #450
Pentaxian

[deleted]

Last edited by beholder3; 08-11-2013 at 07:11 AM. Reason: [deleted]