Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #661
Pentaxian

And you can disable auto subscribe! Go to the "My Account" button at the top of the page and select "Edit Options". Scroll to the second section, "Messaging & Notification" Then change the second option, "Default Thread Subscription Mode" to "Do not subscribe". Next, scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the "Save Changes" button.

04-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #662
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
When did you ask?

Just to elaborate on ElJamoquio's answer:
See the " Unsubscribe from this thread" button in the bar at the top under the page navigation?
In the past this was an icon, now it is spelled out.
Fairly recently actually - within the last year. IIANM the Subscriber/Unsubscribe option refers only to notifications on your user Control Panel. My default setting for Subscription and email notification is "No."

I would like to Ignore or Block an entire thread the way we can choose to Ignore, say, the General Talk or the (Former) Politics and Religion sub-Forums, or the foreign ;language Forums that would do me no good whatsoever.
04-06-2013, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #663
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
MFP wrote --
QuoteQuote:
D4's AF sensor utilizes 51 strategically placed AF points that are designed to capture subjects as you choose: by working together like a net to capture moving subjects or for pinpoint accuracy...
Isn't that what photographers used to do?
04-07-2013, 03:54 AM   #664
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
But ease take a look at the price of the Pentax K5lls. Then compare those specs to the entry level full frame Nikon. IF Pentax ever does come out with a full frame; think that Pentax will be anywhere near the Nikon specs?
It seems as though the big thing that you are looking at is auto focus system and if that is the main feature that is important to you, then yes, Nikon probably will continue to beat Pentax for the foreseeable future. However, I am not a sports shooter and I am perfectly able to keep up with my kids using the K5 auto focus system. I also do expect improvements to come in future cameras.

On the other side, thinks like in body stabilization, sealed lenses for decent prices are things that Nikon lacks and probably has little interest in producing. Pentax is never going to beat Nikon at their own game. If Pentax releases a D4, it will sit like moldy cheese in a refrigerator. On the other hand, if they can get in body stabilization on a full frame camera, keep the size decent, and seal it, then price such a camera between the D800 and D600, they could have a winner. That's all assuming that they could get some presence in stores.

04-07-2013, 04:07 AM   #665
Inactive Account

Is stabilization still a big deciding factor when it comes to choosing camera? Im not sure it is any more.... it was a big factor once... made me choose Pentax.
Today... i dont know. I dont miss it at all, wether its in lens or in body. Dont have any of those, and i shoot FF
04-07-2013, 04:13 AM   #666
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
. Pentax is never going to beat Nikon at their own game. If Pentax releases a D4, it will sit like moldy cheese in a refrigerator. On the other hand, if they can get in body stabilization on a full frame camera, keep the size decent, and seal it, then price such a camera between the D800 and D600, they could have a winner. That's all assuming that they could get some presence in stores.
That's pretty much what most people here have been asking for, despite what Jim Malcolm was saying about what we want. It is not a product to somehow trump the D4 and be priced below $2k. We would be keen on having the option of buying a FF camera that boasts practical specs without trying to outmatch the Canikon flagships. Pentax still have a ways to go for them even to bring out such a realistic product.
04-07-2013, 04:14 AM - 1 Like   #667
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
No it doesn't.

You forgot the physiotherapy costs you get from lugging around such a heavy camera!

Your wallet will be a lot lighter. It compensates for the weight of the camera

04-07-2013, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #668
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
That's pretty much what most people here have been asking for, despite what Jim Malcolm was saying about what we want. It is not a product to somehow trump the D4 and be priced below $2k. We would be keen on having the option of buying a FF camera that boasts practical specs without trying to outmatch the Canikon flagships. Pentax still have a ways to go for them even to bring out such a realistic product.
I'd be more than happy with the features of the K-5II (or basic K5 with AF improvements) with a full frame sensor from the D600. I know I don't need more functionality than exists in K5. I don't think it would be that hard to accomplish. It would need a new housing and if SR is a real technical problem, drop it in the first model. Just do something and let us FF buyers know it's coming and when so we don't jump ship.
04-07-2013, 06:04 AM   #669
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Is stabilization still a big deciding factor when it comes to choosing camera? Im not sure it is any more.... it was a big factor once... made me choose Pentax.
Today... i dont know. I dont miss it at all, wether its in lens or in body. Dont have any of those, and i shoot FF
I think it is a nice feature... but with the ridiculous ISO sensitivities which you can use today's cameras (especially with modern full frame sensors) you can really bump up shutter speeds greatly mitigating the need for stabilization.
Take the Nikkor 24-70mm for example. It is the workhorse of photojournalists and wedding photographers, has been taking tack sharp pics for years, and doesn't have VR.
04-07-2013, 06:54 AM   #670
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I think it is a nice feature... but with the ridiculous ISO sensitivities which you can use today's cameras (especially with modern full frame sensors) you can really bump up shutter speeds greatly mitigating the need for stabilization.
Take the Nikkor 24-70mm for example. It is the workhorse of photojournalists and wedding photographers, has been taking tack sharp pics for years, and doesn't have VR.
I dunno - several months ago, I asked if dropping SR was a possibility thanks to current ISO capabilities, and was told that I didn't know what I was talking about. Maybe I phrased it badly...
04-07-2013, 07:12 AM   #671
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
I dunno - several months ago, I asked if dropping SR was a possibility thanks to current ISO capabilities, and was told that I didn't know what I was talking about. Maybe I phrased it badly...
Or the person who responded phrased it badly. For short, relatively fast lenses, you could substitute higher ISO for shake reduction. But when you get into zoom lenses or lenses with longer focal lengths, and thus higher apertures, and then throw in low light, both shake reduction and higher ISO can become necessary. Then there is the usefulness of shake reduction when stopping down a lens to increase depth of field while shooting at a low ISO.

At least that's my take on it. Plus when you get old and decrepit like me, shake reduction becomes a necessity no matter what lens or ISO you use!
04-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #672
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
The problem that I have is not with noise, it is that dynamic range drops as you go up in iso. I find that when shooting static objects, having SR is awfully handy. Even when shooting waterfalls and wanting to keep a shutter speed of 1/8 second or 1/10 second. Sure, I could carry a tripod with me everywhere, but SR works pretty well and I can get plenty sharp photos with it and decent technique. I personally wouldn't want to lose it, but obviously each person is different. If you just want to have a shutter speed of 1/300 second to freeze motion, then SR/VR probably won't make any difference one way or the other.
04-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #673
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's right. Even with apparently great high ISO performance I would still always use the lowest ISO possible for the greatest DR. I have never been disappointed with my ISO 80/100 shots, even when underexposed. But even on the K-5, I have had a few ISO 400 shots show me noise and low DR from under exposure.
04-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #674
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
Even if you shoot high-ISO and don't use the stabilization, the technology also allows ultrasonic sensor cleaning. That's a big win.
04-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #675

I almost always shoot on tripod, at lowest ISO with SR off, but I still chose Pentax for the in-body stabelisation. ISO performance in my K-r is total trash though, with even 800 being too noisy for my likings. Never considered ISO performance with my purchase. In-body SR, and being cheaper than Canon and Nikon at the time is why I'm here. I do regret it sometimes (since Pentax video is so bad) but overall I'm still happy I chose Pentax, particularly since the community as a whole is much nicer than Canikony.

I have been tempted to sell all my Pentax gear and go Nikon, but not for full frame. Just for better video capabilities. But I will stay and wait. In no rush. My K-r is still serving me well enough, and video is only a sporadic thing anyway. I do hope the next Pentax camera does combine the K-30 and K-5ii, and add some even better stuff, though.