Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 146 Likes Search this Thread
05-08-2013, 03:32 AM - 1 Like   #826
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I see you are not that familiar with Pentax yet then? Since the K-5 of 2010, I've only seen slighty tweaked or stripped down re-iterations of it.
The only company slower than Pentax is its namesake cousin, Contax.

05-08-2013, 03:33 AM   #827
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
In the past, i believe every new model launched were given some thought to ascertain that it would last between 2-3 years at least? But nowadays, everything's been made to last 6months to a year.. LoL!
My mother has a 30 year old dishwasher, good luck finding something like that today!

Fortunately, cameras aren't all that bad. My 5,5 year old K10D still looks and works good. I replaced it with a K-5 a year ago, and the difference in high iso quality, AF and general speed (and shutter sound :-)) is dramatic, but if I hadn't been able to afford a K-5, I would still be happy with the K10D.

QuoteQuote:
Think about crApple.. LoL!
What about them? We've had a lot of Apple laptops in the family, every single one of them have been more durable than any Windows laptop (HP, compaq, Fujitsu, mostly) we've used. A 7 year old one is still in daily use. iPhones also last longer than any other phone I've tried...
05-08-2013, 06:01 AM   #828
Banned

Photos: Albums
The strange thing is; we all might not have seen the last version of the K-5
05-08-2013, 06:13 AM   #829
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
A K-5 iii and/or K-5 iiis ... ?

05-08-2013, 06:36 AM   #830
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
A K-5IIsm, without AA and with dedicated monochrome sensor and monochrome EVF! Oh, I'd buy that right away.
05-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #831
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
New Pentax cameras 2013
Just sing along with this to the tune of "All I Want for Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth"

All I want for Christmas is my two LXd, oh my two LXd...
Then I could wish a FF "Merry Christmas."

05-08-2013, 07:03 AM   #832
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A K-5IIsm, without AA and with dedicated monochrome sensor and monochrome EVF! Oh, I'd buy that right away.
+1 this sans EVF.

05-08-2013, 07:11 AM   #833
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
+1 this sans EVF.
...but ...but then you'd have colour in the VF of a monochrome camera?
05-08-2013, 07:15 AM   #834
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

...but ...but then you'd have colour in the VF of a monochrome camera?
I have been working with B&W film for years and i'm very good at visualising how things will look in Black and white just by looking at them. Besides EVF technology cannot really handle high contrast scenes well enough for me to trust them. An OVF will show you what you are going to get with no gamut or contrast limits - well at least not beyond what your average person can perceive at least.

I'll also point out the Leica Monochrom that I work with also has a colour VF and a Monochrome sensor and that doesn't bother me in the slightest.
05-08-2013, 07:19 AM   #835
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
that is because these photographers realised that low light often means bad light. sometimes adding some lighting to a scene can improve an image that shallow DOF would probably ruin.
Right, but the strobists have gone well beyond that, now, taking studio and move lighting to the masses and into all sorts of new, creative venues.
05-08-2013, 07:48 AM   #836
Veteran Member

I have been working with B&W film for years and i'm very good at visualising how things will look in Black and white just by looking at them. Besides EVF technology cannot really handle high contrast scenes well enough for me to trust them. An OVF will show you what you are going to get with no gamut or contrast limits - well at least not beyond what your average person can perceive at least.

I'll also point out the Leica Monochrom that I work with also has a colour VF and a Monochrome sensor and that doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Personal preference, I guess. I'm pretty much completely done with the dark grainy Pentax K-5 viewfinder since the NEX7. It shows so much more detail and is so much brighter. (My K-5 has the stock focussing screen.)
05-08-2013, 07:50 AM - 2 Likes   #837
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
My mother has a 30 year old dishwasher,
You are referring to yourself, right?
05-08-2013, 08:13 AM   #838
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
You are referring to yourself, right?
Rim shot! That's also an old Navy cook's joke as well Heie.
05-08-2013, 08:43 AM   #839
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
My mother has a 30 year old dishwasher, good luck finding something like that today!

Fortunately, cameras aren't all that bad. My 5,5 year old K10D still looks and works good. I replaced it with a K-5 a year ago, and the difference in high iso quality, AF and general speed (and shutter sound :-)) is dramatic, but if I hadn't been able to afford a K-5, I would still be happy with the K10D.

What about them? We've had a lot of Apple laptops in the family, every single one of them have been more durable than any Windows laptop (HP, compaq, Fujitsu, mostly) we've used. A 7 year old one is still in daily use. iPhones also last longer than any other phone I've tried...
Nothing's wrong with that. Perhaps I should elaborate, I'm meaning to say crApple's the one that I see that started the trend of having "new" products every 6 months. Where in fact, it's nothing much but a minor upgrade from the "recent" one; "milking" they say.. LoL!
05-08-2013, 12:46 PM   #840
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SyncGuy Quote
Nothing's wrong with that. Perhaps I should elaborate, I'm meaning to say crApple's the one that I see that started the trend of having "new" products every 6 months. Where in fact, it's nothing much but a minor upgrade from the "recent" one; "milking" they say.. LoL!
They don't milk the customer over iPhones. Instead, they provide an opportunity for customers to gladly be milked.