Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 146 Likes Search this Thread
05-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #961
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Entertainment can be useful at times. And in any case Art isn't merely entertainment, it shows an interst in philosophical growth through perspective,observation and interpretation. Without those things we are nothing better than drones in a beehive.The tools we use to create art in the end have little consequence, because all that matters is the result.

I would be perfectly happy using my Ebony 8X10 view camera for the rest of my days, though I'm aware many people don't have the luxury of having a collection of photographic tools at their disposal like I do.
The rant is more about the contradiction between specious arguments favoring resource conservation based on bogus "science" and misallocation of capital resources (electricity, especially) toward non-essential products and services in a time of "global climate emergency."

Yes, I know art and entertainment are not necessarily mis-allocation of resources.

But I guess this hijack should end here both since it is a hijack abd because the Mods will eventually (justifiably) shut me down for being political.

05-12-2013, 06:31 PM   #962
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is far from a political discussion, monochrome. Very philosophical more than anything else. And current affairs such as the interplay between use of available resources and planet conservation aren't prohibited from discussion here. Indeed, we wouldn't have technological advances in areas outside energy renewal or pollution control if all we devoted our energies into was the conservation of our planet. But we are also to enjoy the world we live in, and technology is OK to enhance that experience.
05-14-2013, 06:10 AM   #963
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Now that we've finally come to the long awaited question of the difference between Holland and the Netherlands, here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eE_IUPInEuc
Great Brittain is even more interesting:

05-14-2013, 06:17 AM   #964
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
No. I have a commercial driver's license, and am subject to random drug and alcohol tests. And marijuana is on the list of prohibited substances they test for.

<SNIP>

Either way it goes I will be ready to document the proceedings with my new full frame Pentax camera, due out this summer!
Hmm, the two paragraphs quoted appear to be in stark contradiction with each other here.....didn't we all agree that Pentax is Doomed recently?

05-14-2013, 06:37 AM   #965
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Great, thanks! I'll now spend the rest of the evening writing apologies to those of my friends who're "subjects of the Crown" and whom I've apparently been insulting on a regular basis when referring to their nationalities.....

Still, though, even this youtube explanation leaves some miffed, for example those from Quebec (I have a friend from Quebec, who takes any designation other than "Quebequois" as an insult - but can forgive, and even take as a compliment, if mistaking him for French)....

Hmm, this would make for a good theme for a photo-thread....pictures of odd places under the Crown
05-14-2013, 06:42 AM   #966
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
didn't we all agree that Pentax is Doomed recently?
That was last week. I don't think they are doomed this week. At least not yet.............
05-14-2013, 06:53 AM   #967
Veteran Member

Well, I am part German, Swedish and French-Canadian...what does that make me?!

05-14-2013, 08:21 AM - 1 Like   #968
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by treebeard Quote
Here you go!
Attached Images

05-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #969
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by treebeard Quote
Germswissfrancan.

05-14-2013, 09:49 AM   #970
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by tclausen Quote
Hmm, the two paragraphs quoted appear to be in stark contradiction with each other here.....didn't we all agree that Pentax is Doomed recently?

Changed my mind.

05-14-2013, 10:18 AM   #971
Veteran Member

Germswissfrancan.

That's funny!
05-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #972
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Oh now I understand. So that's why the global average temperature hasn't changed in 15 years, despite all the dire hockey sticks. What a load of crap.

Tell the Chinese and the Indians to stop burning coal. We'll burn natural gas and in five years we'll be exporting crude oil since we can't use all that we produce. We're already exporting raw gasoline for the same reason.

The whole thing is anti-capitalist jealousy - an interestingly ironic position on a Forum devoted to spending thousands of dollars on what amounts to wasteful ephemeral entertainment, demanding that a certain company produce certain products at whatever risk of loss to themselves there might be so that we can pursue our selfish pleasures. /rant.

That is actually false The truth of the matter is the most famous prediction of the earth's climate warming up in the future was given as three possible senarios with the one that would be the worst case but highly unlikely outcome being the one used to discredit the science. 1998 was the third warmest on record however the rest of the warmest ten have occurred since 2000. It would be hard to have not increase in average global temperatures over the last 15 years if the last ten are warmer than the years before 1998.

http://blogs.agu.org/wildwildscience/2013/01/16/nasa-2012-was-9th-warmest-ye...ed-since-1998/

Climate change is science and the scientists involve are from many nations and of many poltiical stripes. What we can or should do about it or who is to do it is politics of which we cannot bring into any postings.

Last edited by redrockcoulee; 05-14-2013 at 11:40 AM.
05-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #973
Veteran Member

Germswissfrancan.

You're doing this on purpose
05-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #974
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redrockcoulee Quote
That is actually false The truth of the matter is the most famous prediction of the earth's climate warming up in the future was given as three possible senarios with the one that would be the worst case but highly unlikely outcome being the one used to discredit the science. 1998 was the third warmest on record however the rest of the warmest ten have occurred since 2000. It would be hard to have not increase in average global temperatures over the last 15 years if the last ten are warmer than the years before 1998.

NASA: 2012 Was 9th Warmest Year on Record. The 9 Warmest Years Have All Occurred Since 1998. - Dan's Wild Wild Science Journal - AGU Blogosphere

Climate change is science and the scientists involve are from many nations and of many poltiical stripes. What we can or should do about it or who is to do it is politics of which we cannot bring into any postings.
Your science and my science, it seems, are in conflict.

Global warming: has the rise in temperatures 'paused'? | Environment | guardian.co.uk

I want to see objective data released by East Anglia, not statistically manipulated assumptions (oops, can't do it - "lost" the data tables). I ahve a somewhat open mind about warming itself but I do not believe it is correlated with human behavior. And it isn't proven until the data is released, tested independently and fairly.

(No, actually, it hasn't been).
05-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #975
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You know what's really funny? Reading the first page of this thread, and then skipping right to the last page (before this post)... then trying to guess what the hell transpired in the intervening pages that caused the discussion to devolve to such a ridiculous state.