Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 146 Likes Search this Thread
06-03-2013, 01:24 PM   #1096
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Who said they'll only have one APS-C DSLR this year?
Lots of people have said that - but that doesn't mean they're right!

06-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #1097
Veteran Member

Don't worry, they're alive and kicking - and they won't stay quiet for long.
Because they'll announce another WG, this time in aquablue?
06-03-2013, 01:45 PM   #1098
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Lots of people have said that - but that doesn't mean they're right!

I don't remember lots of people saying that, but those who did made it up.
Of course, there are those unwilling to count past one, no matter how many models are actually launched; but let's ignore them.

Clavius, please keep your snide remarks for yourself. Thank you.
06-03-2013, 02:37 PM   #1099
Veteran Member

The longer they leave it, the more chance there is of only one new APS-C DSLR being launched this year. The same is true of lenses, flashes and anything else. That doesn't mean they will only launch one of course, and I hope Pentax launch more than one, but spring has turned to summer now and before long summer will have turned to autumn. Of course Pentax might launch AA-on and AA-off versions of one new camera and present it as two cameras, but I don't think that counts.

06-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #1100
Veteran Member

Of course, there are those unwilling to count past one, no matter how many models are actually launched; but let's ignore them.

Clavius, please keep your snide remarks for yourself. Thank you.
I'd suggest you read those two sentences aloud until you see the irony.
06-03-2013, 03:01 PM   #1101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
The longer they leave it, the more chance there is of only one new APS-C DSLR being launched this year.
IIRC correctly the K-r and the K-5 - two obviously distinct models, not just 'Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable' wannabees- were announced within a month or two of each other, in the fall of 2010.

It could easily happen again, although it'd be tough to undercut the K-30 at $500.
06-03-2013, 04:57 PM   #1102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Because they'll announce another WG, this time in aquablue?
Sadly, very close. Only it is white. /sigh

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/official-pentax-news/226867-pentax-adds-w...ml#post2407128

06-03-2013, 05:04 PM   #1103
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
LOL...talk about perfect timing.
06-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #1104
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
LOL...talk about perfect timing.
Yep, Clavius obviously has the inside scoop. Now if we can get him to tell us when the k-3 will be released we can close this thread.
06-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #1105
Banned

WG-3 in white is a good news for all kinds of doctors, dentists etc. who use WG cameras and their excellent macro capabilities (and LED light) in their everyday work. Because the camera works in clean medical environments, white colour is better than black. And it seems WG cameras are becoming increasingly popular in that market segment.

You may all roll your eyes, but from that perspective the news is truly newsworthy, yes.

In addition, this is a direct testament that Pentax started to listen and answer to user calls.
06-03-2013, 11:24 PM   #1106
Veteran Member

Like I said here or somewhere else a week or so ago, my local Pentax Rep (who shoots a D600 ) reckons there's only a low-end release this year that he actually knows of for certain. Pentax must be rejigging their entire line-up due to the lack of public releases (and statements) compared to everyone else. If that were actually true, I would expect current prices to dive shortly before the new line-up was announced though.
06-04-2013, 12:09 AM   #1107
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Like I said here or somewhere else a week or so ago, my local Pentax Rep (who shoots a D600 ) reckons there's only a low-end release this year that he actually knows of for certain. Pentax must be rejigging their entire line-up due to the lack of public releases (and statements) compared to everyone else. If that were actually true, I would expect current prices to dive shortly before the new line-up was announced though.
Which is, kinda, bizarre tactics if that is all true.
And I think that is what makes PF members anxious and jittery. If Pentax really wants to rejig their entire line all at once .. I don't know. I personally don't believe in such an approach, takes too long and for too long you're below people's radars.

However, it seems Pentax Ricoh is comfortable with their decision, though. We aren't, but they are.

Last edited by Uluru; 06-04-2013 at 12:17 AM.
06-04-2013, 12:15 AM   #1108
Veteran Member

Dang! I hate being correct in this case. Sadly, no, I don't have any inside information whatsoever. It just means that Pentax has become very predictable. Apparently, not being considered a threat by the big boys is priority number one. Next up? Probably a long overdue entry level DSLR: Good for Pentax for attracting new users, boring for their existing users.

EDIT: Wow, the new WG isn't just white, it's white with BLUE accents. My prediction was closer then I thought! (Now, how am I going to put my power to good use?)

Last edited by Clavius; 06-04-2013 at 02:06 AM.
06-04-2013, 12:41 AM   #1109
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Which is, kinda, bizarre tactics if that is all true.
And I think that is what makes PF members anxious and jittery. If Pentax really wants to rejig their entire line all at once .. I don't know. I personally don't believe in such an approach, takes too long and for too long you're below people's radars.

However, it seems Pentax Ricoh is comfortable with their decision, though. We aren't, but they are.
Well I guess it makes sense on the one hand but doesn't on the other. It really depends how you want to look at it. For us as current users we see competitors releasing new models and moving forward when Pentax Ricoh appears to be in a state of inertia. They release an essentially refreshed K-5 but we get no news of future products. This is disconcerting.

But I think equally it would be disconcerting if Pentax Ricoh didn't try to refresh the line up. They want to do something at least slightly different. If PR repeat what Hoya Pentax were doing there's no reason to think Pentax wouldn't end up getting sold again in another year or so.

Launching a three camera line up all at once would be a bold move and could present a much clearer range of choices for consumers, with entry, mid, and high level all nicely defined. However in order to do this you need to delay some models to get them all ready. A K1, M1, and L1 would be a nice clear range.

I'm not saying it's a good idea necessarily but it might be the thinking.
06-04-2013, 02:17 AM   #1110
Banned

There is also still the K-5 IIs Silver Limited Edition coming!