Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 146 Likes Search this Thread
06-11-2013, 03:25 AM   #1171
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I would say the main difference is in the lenses.
Those lenses have the same good quality as other high quality Pentax lenses for other formats.

I'm afraid the only reason why the 645D is mostly reserved for the pro's, is its price. Even in 645D-land there is no pro support, or a more complete line up of lenses, other accessories or tethering.

So that's why I'm looking forward to Kitazawa's promise of more professional products.

Last edited by Clavius; 06-11-2013 at 04:41 AM.
06-11-2013, 04:16 AM   #1172
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
or tethering
But there is indeed a Pentax program for 645D tethering - the 'Pentax Image Transmitter for 645D'
PentaxWebstore.com:Transmitter Software S-SW123 Transmitter Software S-SW123
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-medium-format-645-6x7-645d/195346-...ware-645d.html
06-11-2013, 04:40 AM   #1173
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I stand corrected. Thank you...
06-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #1174
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I stand corrected. Thank you...
It would be nice if Pentax also made such software work with the K-5 too, of course.
It was stupid of them to develop the software and then make sure it ran on one body used only by elite users. There would probably be thousands more users of the software on the K-5 and K-30 than on the 645D. Very puzzling.

06-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #1175
Veteran Member

That makes for a nice small pilot group, before the full deployment ;-)
06-11-2013, 12:03 PM   #1176

QuoteOriginally posted by mamethot Quote
That makes for a nice small pilot group, before the full deployment ;-)
Here's hoping! I had to resort to an Eye-Fi to a watched folder in LR. It worked, usually... But it was gross.

So in terms of rumour sources, are we pretty much stuck until the next big show? Is there something in Sept? CES, CP+, photokina... All done. Is there anything in Japan in Sept? Or does Pentax release its DSLR's then just because its a slack time in the industry?
06-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #1177
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The inability of the current digital cameras to properly integrate with the digital darkroom (tablet, PC) except via an anachronistic SD card is costing sales.

06-11-2013, 12:13 PM   #1178
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
The inability of the current digital cameras to properly integrate with the digital darkroom (tablet, PC) except via an anachronistic SD card is costing sales.
I agree with this!
06-11-2013, 01:16 PM   #1179
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
I agree with this!
I also totally agree with this. It seems like Pentax/Ricoh is late to the built-in wifi trend. I would love the Q7 if it could integrate with my smartphone and/or tablet.
06-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #1180
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
What's exactly the problem with SD card?
Wifi enabled cameras would bring what except more battery drain ?
How could we manage GBs of pics on LR using a phone or tablet?
Is it about posting these photos on facebook or equivalent social media?
I am just curious.
06-11-2013, 02:50 PM   #1181
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
I am just curious.
This is what it's all about. Your camera should be set-up to have instant acces to your FaceBook, Pinterest and what more to just put an image on it.
06-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #1182
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It requires a physical trip from the camera to a PC and then to the network.

QuoteQuote:
Connectivity.

QuoteQuote:
Something like 70% of the world's camera users do NOT have PC's and likely never will. All Asian growth markets are effectively PC-free. They go straight from camera to the web.

Most processing will be done in-camera in the future, and it is very easy to scale down JPEG's for rapid web-ready sharing.

QuoteQuote:
I am just curious.
It's about sharing. That's the majority market point of taking photos now. Either the camera makers get on this properly without a PC connection, or they cede that ground to those who will. Smartphones have already chunked out the P&S market.

A LOT of people will question the usefulness of a non-connected DSLR or mirrorless very soon. The market for non-connected photography is shrinking, not growing. The idea that a person will shoot a session, then walk to their PC, upload an SD card, edit, then export and post online or print is passé. A lot of those steps are being cut out. That's a dying business model. It will still exist for many, but it's not going to be the mainstream nor the norm.

Adobe gets it. That's why they've gone subscription with Photoshop. They don't want to pour resources into a pixel-level editor for the masses when the masses are already bypassing most of what PS offers. Adobe is now reserving their PS product line for the enterprise. The average connected consumer bypasses those processes, so better to focus on the paying business customer than the casual user.

Last edited by Aristophanes; 06-11-2013 at 04:36 PM.
06-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #1183

QUOTE=fsge;2416036]What's exactly the problem with SD card?/QUOTE]

It's dog-slow, at least with the eye-fi. It's faster and less wear and tear than swapping cards, but it's not 'fast'.

For me it's not for Facebook; it's for true tethering; getting the image into your editor of choice for rapid 1:1 checks, and then starting the workflow.

Time = money.
06-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #1184
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It requires a physical trip from the camera to a PC and then to the network.

QuoteQuote:
Connectivity.

QuoteQuote:
Something like 70%of the world's camera users to NOT have PC's and likely never will. All Asian growth markets are effectively PC-free. They go straight from camera to the web.

Most processing will b done in-camera in the future, and it is very easy to scale down JPEG's for rapid web-raedy sharing.

QuoteQuote:
I am just curious.
It's about sharing. That's the majority market point of taking photos now. Either the camera makers get on this properly without a PC connection, or they cede that ground to those who will. Smartphones have already chunked out the P&S market.

A LOT of people will question the usefulness of a non-connected DSLR or mirrorless very soon. The market for non-connected photography is shrinking, not growing. The idea that a person will shoot a session, then walk to their PC, upload an SD card, edit, then export and post online or print is passé. A lot of those steps are being cut out. That's a dying business model. It will still exist for many, but it's not going to be the mainstream nor the norm.

Adobe gets it. That's why they've gone subscription with Photoshop. They don't want to pour resources into a pixel-keel editor for the masses when the masses are already bypassing most of what PS offers. Adobe is now reserving their PS product line for the enterprise. The average connected consumer bypasses those processes, so better to focus on the paying business customer than the casual user.
06-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #1185
Veteran Member

All this unbounded 'latest hot gadget' technology optimism without any thought of the problems - reliability, speed, security...