Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2008, 04:36 PM   #16
Forum Member

The evidence appears to support the idea that there are problems with the manner in which K20 DNGs are handled. My own experience was not influenced by fluorescent light (there was none), but tungsten - first with the tungsten white balance setting and then with a custom white balance setting based on a reading from a white balance reference card. Both were appalling.

To some degree I'm slightly embarrassed at having flung my first K20 back to the supplier so quickly along with a letter outlining its many and varied faults as I saw them. The only fact still giving me pause is that there was some evidence of problems with the DNGs when I viewed them in Silky Pix.

I expect to be taking delivery of a replacement K20 on Friday and will at least be able to verify whether or not the problem with the first body is a common one.

Not the sort of start any of us were hoping for I'm sure.

02-28-2008, 05:17 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Well... It's not the end of the world. Just some extra work for us.

Found that the easiest way for me was just opening PEF's in the photobrowser, mark all, right click, convert to DNG, wait and then delete PEF. (I don't bother keeping a backup of PEF's right now)

But now I have to get CS3 when Adobe releases a update to Camera RAW(my CS1 doesn't support v4.0 or greater).

I guess Pentax have been spoiling us with their backwards-compatability. No option of using cheap old "screwmount-software" from Adobe, eh? Cashing in on me every three years when their old software can't be used with new cameras. Kind of reminds me of Canon.
02-29-2008, 04:52 PM   #18
Forum Member

Footnote to white balance/noise problem

QuoteOriginally posted by dave kitson Quote
Until ACR is updated for the K20D, out-of-camera K20D DNGs give very poor WB results.

A workaround until the update is available, is to shoot PEFs, convert to DNG in Pentax Photo Browser and then import into ACR. This gives much better results, though the usual issues with reds apply.

The PEFs average about 12-16Mb but converting in PPB results in 30Mb DNG files. These can be compressed using Adobe DNG converter to slightly smaller than the original PEFs.

dave
Many thanks for this suggestion - you are absolutely right. I received my replacement K20 today and found it produced exactly the same results as the first in terms of poor white balance and noise under custom and tungsten balances. Using the workflow you suggested has added a little to the steps required but has solved the problem to my satisfaction for now.

I do wish this had been caught during testing though.
02-29-2008, 05:28 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Delgado Quote
I do wish this had been caught during testing though.
Yes, it seems as if the K20D beta versions made DNG's that ACR developed the same way as the K10D.
I had no problem like this when I tried out a beta.

Seems to me that Pentax did some changes to the files that was not compatible with Adobe's software after the version i tried. Weird!!!...........

But no worries! I don't think we have to wait a long time to get our compatability.

03-02-2008, 10:54 AM   #20
Forum Member

One more footnote

Pentax Photo Browser does not appear to convert ISO 6400 PEFs to DNG in a way that Adobe Camera Raw can recognise. It has worked for me up to 3200, but Photoshop CS3 won't have the files converted by Pentax Photo browser at 6400.
03-02-2008, 09:28 PM   #21
Veteran Member

See this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/21930-pentax-dng-m...nell-asap.html
03-03-2008, 12:04 AM   #22
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lightroom and ACR are the same thing. ACR is the Adobe plugin used by Photoshop, Bridge, and Lightroom.

I am not having any problem with my K20 DNG files in Aperture 2. I think they look fantastic. The WB numbers are off, just like they are in ACR, but the sliders and eye dropper work fine.
04-13-2008, 11:55 AM   #23
Forum Member

With the latest Lightroom (1.4.1) & ACR (4.4.1) has this been fixed?

All the release notes say is that the K20D is now supported.

04-13-2008, 12:43 PM   #24
Veteran Member

The evidence appears to support the idea that there are problems with the manner in which K20 DNGs are handled. My own experience was not influenced by fluorescent light (there was none), but tungsten - first with the tungsten white balance setting and then with a custom white balance setting based on a reading from a white balance reference card. Both were appalling.

To some degree I'm slightly embarrassed at having flung my first K20 back to the supplier so quickly along with a letter outlining its many and varied faults as I saw them. The only fact still giving me pause is that there was some evidence of problems with the DNGs when I viewed them in Silky Pix.

I expect to be taking delivery of a replacement K20 on Friday and will at least be able to verify whether or not the problem with the first body is a common one.

Not the sort of start any of us were hoping for I'm sure.
I tried one in the store that had the same problem - even on the LCD the blue noise was obvious and neither Silkypix nor ACR did a good job with it. The other model I tried a few weeks earlier had none of these issues so I assume its a fault with the specific camera.

Good luck and let us know when you get the new one.
04-14-2008, 12:45 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ksignorini Quote
With the latest Lightroom (1.4.1) & ACR (4.4.1) has this been fixed?

All the release notes say is that the K20D is now supported.
Maybe I'm crazy but I still see the stand-alone DNG converter timeshifting K20D .PEF files 8 hours.
04-14-2008, 04:08 PM   #26
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
I tried one in the store that had the same problem - even on the LCD the blue noise was obvious and neither Silkypix nor ACR did a good job with it. The other model I tried a few weeks earlier had none of these issues so I assume its a fault with the specific camera.

Good luck and let us know when you get the new one.

I didn't show the blue or any other noise or colour cast on the LCD - in fact everything looked wonderful there - hence my clutching horror when I opened the files in ACR. All of the problems I had were resolved once ACR was updated. I am afraid I was a bit quick off the mark in returning the original K20 as I suspect there was nothing wrong with it. The replacement K20 was exactly the same until ACR caught up with it. My only excuse is that I did at least check with Pentax UK before sending the first one back. All they could say was they had not encountered this problem so the unit sounded as if it were faulty. Marvellous.

D
04-14-2008, 04:18 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I didn't show the blue or any other noise or colour cast on the LCD - in fact everything looked wonderful there - hence my clutching horror when I opened the files in ACR. All of the problems I had were resolved once ACR was updated. I am afraid I was a bit quick off the mark in returning the original K20 as I suspect there was nothing wrong with it. The replacement K20 was exactly the same until ACR caught up with it. My only excuse is that I did at least check with Pentax UK before sending the first one back. All they could say was they had not encountered this problem so the unit sounded as if it were faulty. Marvellous.

D
Well, look on the bright side, Pentax service is definately encouraging

I had heard that Adobe were claiming there was a math error in Pentax DNGs - seems it was the other way round.

The model I tested definately had issues even on the LCD, so it sounds like yours was fine. Have fun with your new camera though, no harm done.
04-15-2008, 12:27 AM   #28
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think this is just for K20D. I'm using PS CS3 with it's original ACR plugin and frankly colour tone and sharpness simply can't match those produced by Pentax photo laboratory.
04-15-2008, 06:48 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I don't think this is just for K20D. I'm using PS CS3 with it's original ACR plugin and frankly colour tone and sharpness simply can't match those produced by Pentax photo laboratory.
unlike PPL with ACR you can tune your profile in ACR to get the color tone you want ("camera calibration" tab in ACR - then you can save your own profiles for a future use) and
then unlike PPL ACR was never intended to work as a standalone solution it is just a preprocessor for photoshop (to deal with sharpness for example)...