Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2008, 01:36 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Why is compact flash considered a "pro" feature? Really I do not know.

03-03-2008, 05:59 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Because currant technolodgy and common sense would indicate that it is faster.
That is FACT!!!!!!!!!
In the Future when SD develops more then maybee that can be the pro camera standard.
I do not see any Pro cameras supporting it.

On a side note I would prefer a double SD card slot to a single CF slot.

SD is nice, but to the kind of people that would consider a faster camera than the KXXD level (the KXD level) the extra speed might be critical as speed is usually a criteria of Pro.
03-03-2008, 11:49 PM   #18

I'd like a pro body that either supports 2 SD or at least both CF and SD. I know that CF writes faster, but all my cards (and all the cards of many Pentax users) are SD. Dual SD could be cool if they could make it work. Otherwise, make a big big buffer. I hate it when the buffer fills up. That's why shooting JPGS is so fun with a K10D. Now if we could have that same kind of speed shooting RAW!
03-04-2008, 12:45 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I have shot close to 70 weddings on my K10Ds. I have never had write speed become a problem.

On a ten hour wedding, if I shoot 1000 shots (which I dont), then I will be shooting @ 100shots/hr = 1.7 shots/min = .03 shots/sec my fps is one thirtieth of a shot/second

occasionally, during the bouquet toss, or during something funny, then I will want to fire off a couple of faster shots, but every shot is composed, focused, and metered.
I can fire off a shot about every second (maybe a little slower) while watching the focus, comp, and light.....

fps isnt really that important for me.however, i would like to make a cool sequence pano for skateboarding or, well....i cant really think of any reason to need a shot every single 1/20sec. (5fps)

Im brainstorming a 'striping type' write system for duel SD slots.
shot 1 card one
shot 2 card two
shot 3 card one
shot 4 card two
by the time the K1D comes out, the buffer will be large/fast enough to support this

P.S. Dont all of the canon 1series support SD in the second slot?

03-04-2008, 01:49 AM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'd like 2 card slots - one for SD and the other for CF, with the option to save RAW on one and JPEG on the other...

Why? to make use of all the CF cards I bought for my *ist D...
03-04-2008, 02:29 AM   #21
Pentaxian

How many GB do you have, in CF cards?
I'd like to be forced to pay for an additional, useless (for me) CF slot. Not.
03-04-2008, 03:11 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I dont know what everyone else things the best benefit of having dual slits would be.
For me its the fact that. one could shoot as normal and the other could be backup. The chances of having a card fault during a wedding or any other ceremony/event would then be higher. but not when you have a backup!!. Then it does not even matter. You can then buy a two fast 16GB cards and forget about changing them whatsoever. Even if you shoot Jpeg and RAW.

03-04-2008, 04:00 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
I dont know what everyone else things the best benefit of having dual slits would be.
For me its the fact that. one could shoot as normal and the other could be backup. The chances of having a card fault during a wedding or any other ceremony/event would then be higher. but not when you have a backup!!. Then it does not even matter. You can then buy a two fast 16GB cards and forget about changing them whatsoever. Even if you shoot Jpeg and RAW.
Better yet, write the Raw to one and the JPEG to the other, then you could get away with like 1 16GB card, and 1 2-4GB card, the Raw as a main file, JPEG as a backup.

You'd want to be able to select either way of writing... (both RAW or 1 RAW, 1 JPEG)
03-04-2008, 06:47 PM   #24
Inactive Account

The idea of faster write speeds is far too often ignored in the chase for faster fps, etc. Would be wonderful for all of us who use long shutter speeds to have a camera that could write files quicker. I don't know what this would entail, technically, but it's on my wish-list along with bigger viewfinder.
04-18-2009, 02:39 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
I agree, who wants to be like the journalists? SDHC is fast anyway (at least with the class 6 model, CF Version III struggles to keep up) and with class 8 and SDXC on their way, CF's future is doomed!
04-18-2009, 02:48 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoffreyS Quote
The idea of faster write speeds is far too often ignored in the chase for faster fps, etc. Would be wonderful for all of us who use long shutter speeds to have a camera that could write files quicker. I don't know what this would entail, technically, but it's on my wish-list along with bigger viewfinder.
Write speeds in the end are dependant of the camera anyway, so if the K30 has a fast write speed and larger buffer, then, no matter what SD card is in the camera, it will be the key write speed. Just think an *ist DS with a small and slow buffer, will always be slower than a K20D with the same card, no matter if it is a standard SD, Class 4, class 6 SDHC card etc.
04-18-2009, 03:10 PM   #27
emr

Did you realize you're just reviving a thread that died peacefully a year ago?
04-18-2009, 04:45 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeoffreyS Quote
huh? i doubt if it makes a difference, for long shutter speeds. especially if you let the camera do dfs (or have to, as with the k20d, arghh) , write speed to the card is completely residual by comparison. so i wonder what you meant (i am most likely missing something)
04-18-2009, 04:47 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Did you realize you're just reviving a thread that died peacefully a year ago?
the zombie thread...

coming soon in a city near you.
04-18-2009, 05:28 PM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by nanok Quote
the zombie thread...

coming soon in a city near you.
this is soo funny lol