Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2008, 03:01 AM   #1
Forum Member

Time for a new rumour on K30D

It has gone quiet here, and now the K20D is on sale.. I am sure that Pentax engineers are hard at work on the K30D/K300D for 2009

I've had my K10 for 10 months, 4000 shots which doesn't seem like a lot, coupled with the DA* 16-50 which has been idle for 4 months so I won't be rushing to get a K20d, so I am looking ahead to the next model....

What should it have?: My thought.....

I don't care if the sensor is APS-C or FX - IQ counts - as does demonstrable reliability of the CMOS 14.6 MP sensor

Modified body with enlarged and brighter viewfinder

Reliable AF performance, my K10D is fine in this area. Although better AF in low light would be advantageous.

As others have pointed out in other threads better AF should be coupled with 5 fps, and a quicker/better imaging processor...(multiple advantages here)

Why?
I don't normally print my work, although that might change, so MP count is not so relevant to me.
Ergonomically the *ist D and K10D are perfect in my opinion
Faster FPS and better AF allows me to keep up with the EOS 1D fanatics on the wildlife holidays
A large and bright viewfinder spits on a large LCD with LiveView any day, if I want to get low down I can use my Mamiya 645 with WLF.

Peter

02-29-2008, 04:07 AM   #2
Banned

QuoteQuote:
enlarged and brighter viewfinder

thats all I'm concerned with at the moment. going back and fourth between my K1000 and K110 makes my eyes hurt, and hard to re focus. you don't notice how small the viewfinder is on the D series until you use both at the same time. is it the same size on the last 35mm series of cameras?
02-29-2008, 09:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
its going to jump off the shelfs, hook up to the internet, read all the rumor forums and BEAT thoes who are trying to start this so early
LOL
I think the K*D will have many of the features that we are looking for (AF, Noise, FPS etc) no FF though!
I also feel that the K20 and K200 will stick around for a bit maybe upwards of 2 years again, the K****D will come out, probaly the same great 6mp chip and it may break the sub $500 area but we must wait to see.
So recap: K****D soon (summer/fall on shelfs) and a K*D probaly previewed at Photokina in Sept. PMA 09 official Release
02-29-2008, 12:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

it will cook food for you

it will make any canon or nikon within 50 feet explode in the hands of their users

it will create an invisiblity cloak around you

it will shoot in xray mode

and, in dire situations it can be used as a grappling hook.

02-29-2008, 01:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Enough of this crop-factor bullsh*t already.. yeah, yeah, it's all good and what not and I hear and read all the excuses, pros and cons but, just give me a damn FF sensor already.

Hoya killed the Pentax Star!!

What's the point in making claims in your current K20D brochure about how great all those 24 million old lenses are if not one of them is being used to it's full potential? My super sweet 28mm thinks it's a 42mm.. whatever..

And why the hell can't you get past the 3fps mark? And why are you still packing that much noise in your high ISO? I'll tell you why, you're cashing in on your hype!

Hoya killed the Pentax star!!

Slow performing f4 lenses. Not that f4 is slow, it's that the lens AF itself is slow, or the drive motor, or the algorythym, or whatever the hell it is that sucks the speed out of the glass - inexcusable!

I want a kit. Not a kit lens or camera and lens kit. I want an imaging kit! Give me the sensor, the processor, various switches and wires and the firmware. AKA HeathKit - This way I can put the guts into my Spotmatic!

It'll all fit, nice and snug, totally trick. I might even disassemble a Canon P&S and do it.. Sacrelidge you say? I'll have to hack the EXIF data on every image I take to say Spotmatic! Might have better luck with a *istD.. WHo knows?

02-29-2008, 02:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I hope you're joking on the the second half of your post cause it seems quite ridiculous, no offense. DIY kit would hardly come true in the near future, distance future may be. At the moment, the most resemblance to a kit would be the Hasselblad digital back that you can plug in various film MF cameras. Personally, i don't care too much about the FOV, but I care about the pixel size. FF sensor would mean just that: low iso noise and higher dynamic range.

Personally, I would rather look forward to a K1D than a K30D. An FF with an improved AF and a 5+fps rate plus all the features of the current Pentax would compete well enough with Canikon. I don't expect it to be low in price but something between the 5D's and the D3's would be good enough (preferably closer to the 5D's).

But to be honest, that's just my wishful thinking. At the current state, the next one would surely be the K30D.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom M Quote
Enough of this crop-factor bullsh*t already.. yeah, yeah, it's all good and what not and I hear and read all the excuses, pros and cons but, just give me a damn FF sensor already.

What's the point in making claims in your current K20D brochure about how great all those 24 million old lenses are if not one of them is being used to it's full potential? My super sweet 28mm thinks it's a 42mm.. whatever..

And why the hell can't you get past the 3fps mark? And why are you still packing that much noise in your high ISO? I'll tell you why, you're cashing in on your hype!

Hoya killed the Pentax star!!

Slow performing f4 lenses. Not that f4 is slow, it's that the lens AF itself is slow, or the drive motor, or the algorythym, or whatever the hell it is that sucks the speed out of the glass - inexcusable!

I want a kit. Not a kit lens or camera and lens kit. I want an imaging kit! Give me the sensor, the processor, various switches and wires and the firmware. AKA HeathKit - This way I can put the guts into my Spotmatic!

It'll all fit, nice and snug, totally trick. I might even disassemble a Canon P&S and do it.. Sacrelidge you say? I'll have to hack the EXIF data on every image I take to say Spotmatic! Might have better luck with a *istD.. WHo knows?

02-29-2008, 04:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by welshwizard645 Quote

Modified body with enlarged and brighter viewfinder
by the way - what is the reason not to equip all bodies by default with magnifying eyecap (like O-ME53), but lets say with 1.25x ratio ? make a hole a little bit bigger, stick that eyecap as
a standard piece and it will give a "better viewfinder"... where am I wrong here ?

02-29-2008, 05:07 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by seamuis Quote

thats all I'm concerned with at the moment. going back and fourth between my K1000 and K110 makes my eyes hurt, and hard to re focus. you don't notice how small the viewfinder is on the D series until you use both at the same time. is it the same size on the last 35mm series of cameras?
A K10D has 95% viewfinder coverage of a 1.5 crop sensor 23.5x15.7mm, and 0.95x magnification.
That means:

C=0.95 #coverage
M=0.95 #magnification
(23.5 x C x M) x (15.7 x C x M) = 300 square millimeters.

Now compare to a K1000:

C=0.95
M=0.88 #guessing conservative here
(36 x C x M) x (24 x C x M) = 603 square millimeters.

No wonder your eyes hurt..
02-29-2008, 05:13 PM   #9
Veteran Member

the K30D is probably going to stay in the prosumer area, dont you think? just my guess.
as well as the 40, etc

i think when they step up the AF, and put a couple of usefull minor tweaks, it will be a K30D
03-01-2008, 02:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
by the way - what is the reason not to equip all bodies by default with magnifying eyecap (like O-ME53), but lets say with 1.25x ratio ? make a hole a little bit bigger, stick that eyecap as
a standard piece and it will give a "better viewfinder"... where am I wrong here ?
Because, in careful design decisions, they chose to not make the magnifying lens rectangular so it allows full view of the viewfinder area, but to make it circular so the corners get cut off and its just that little bit difficult to see everything. Like usual, close to good performance, but cut short by specific design at the last bit.
03-01-2008, 02:33 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
i think when they step up the AF, and put a couple of usefull minor tweaks, it will be a
K30D
And when they do that, and Nikon is introducing their D400, how much will the leftover D300's cost compared to the K30D?
03-01-2008, 10:01 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The K30D is the one I'm looking forward to with interest - the improvements on the K20D whilst welcome aren't enough to convince me to "upgrade"

simon
03-01-2008, 11:54 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Well Well Well.
I predict the K1D will have a slightly updated sensor with more channels.
6FPS.
1/8000 shutter with 1/250 sync.
SAFOX IX (9)
tracking!
and a AF assist lamp similar to the PZ-1p but not on the flash.
The body will be very similar to KXXD with grip attached and have a magnesium alloy chassi.
The screene will be OLED.
The camera will cost slightly more than the D300 on release.
Even more improvements to the SR system as it will be in a larger body.
It will also feature a double CF slot.
03-01-2008, 01:11 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Steelski,
If your right they can sign me up right now--even if it is a little more than the nikon d300
03-01-2008, 02:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kent vinyard Quote
Steelski,
If your right they can sign me up right now--even if it is a little more than the nikon d300
I am only going by what is logical.
They have to have professional specs for it and they have to improve on a few things.

The chip we already have.
the speed (1/8000 and 1/250th were on the Pz-1p)
The weather sealing
All we need is the CF slots, the screen (from Samsung)
and the new AF system
Althought I must say I am impressed with the K20D focus at the moment. its good.