Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2008, 06:15 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SouthShoreRob Quote
You could be absolutely right, but if such is the case, I'll be rather pissed that my thousand dollar body and 1200 dollar lens can't properly communicate with one another both at factory specs. How much is that costing, how long will it be away, and what is Pentax's official stance on such scenarios?

For the record, however, it could still be the AF. Here's the same player later in the same shift bursting up the ice. Again, I laid on the trigger and this time, 3 hits and one half hit. K10D, FA*200mm, no PP at all except resize for web.

See below...
In my case its a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, still an expensive lens, but it is a third party lens. I will let you know the answers to all these questions in 15-20 days (quoted turn around time). I just sent the camera on weds. this week. Unfortunately, my camera is not covered by warrenty because I bought it as soon as they came out (nov. 2006). I'll post a thread on the results, or I could PM you directly if you're interested.

03-02-2008, 07:20 AM   #32
SouthShoreRob

QuoteOriginally posted by Harald Quote
Not really using it? now I didnt get it? I use the AF-C for tracking focusing so that focus is correct in the very moment I want to shoot. If you use AF-S, you have to wait until the actual focusing process is done and you will sure be late. No existing focus system from any brand is fast enough for catching the moment without anticipating it with AF-C.
Not using it in the sense that you are using the AF-C to track, fire a single shot, let go then re-engage. Whereas, in my sequences above, you can see I have tracked, panned, and fired a burst of three or four shots without once letting go of the shutter.
03-02-2008, 07:22 AM   #33
SouthShoreRob

QuoteOriginally posted by reknelb Quote
In my case its a Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, still an expensive lens, but it is a third party lens. I will let you know the answers to all these questions in 15-20 days (quoted turn around time). I just sent the camera on weds. this week. Unfortunately, my camera is not covered by warrenty because I bought it as soon as they came out (nov. 2006). I'll post a thread on the results, or I could PM you directly if you're interested.
Very interested, naturally. Mine was purchased a month later, but here in Canada, Pentax warranty is two years, so I'd be fine. What I'm going to do, in the meantime and only b/c you've peeked my curiosity, is get my old *ist DS back from my brother and flip on the FA*200 to give it a whirl at a future hockey game and see what comes of it.
03-02-2008, 07:47 AM   #34

Not using it in the sense that you are using the AF-C to track, fire a single shot, let go then re-engage. Whereas, in my sequences above, you can see I have tracked, panned, and fired a burst of three or four shots without once letting go of the shutter.
Where you have got an idea that it is basically made for serial shooting?

03-02-2008, 08:10 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Very interested, naturally. Mine was purchased a month later, but here in Canada, Pentax warranty is two years, so I'd be fine. What I'm going to do, in the meantime and only b/c you've peeked my curiosity, is get my old *ist DS back from my brother and flip on the FA*200 to give it a whirl at a future hockey game and see what comes of it.
I've used the Sigma on my Samsung GX-1L (same as ist dl?), Although slower af than the k10d, it focuses very accurately. I also did a chart test with this body and it was spot on. Let us know the other body works out.
03-05-2008, 02:38 PM   #36
SouthShoreRob

I've used the Sigma on my Samsung GX-1L (same as ist dl?), Although slower af than the k10d, it focuses very accurately. I also did a chart test with this body and it was spot on. Let us know the other body works out.
Used the *ist DS and FA*200mm at the game last night. Sure, there were still some missed shots along the boards, there always are, but by and large, it seemed as though the AF was better able to zero in on the player. I have decided to send in my K10D body for Back-Focus adjustment. In the meantime, here's a couple board-side sample to illustrate my point.

Last edited by SouthShoreRob; 02-09-2009 at 02:51 PM.
03-05-2008, 02:55 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Hi Chris, good stuff.
In a French test, the K10 didn’t get so good marks on AF-C, but the K100 did. I wonder if they also worked somewhat on the AF-C in K20.
What was the aperture set at ?

At indoor sports with Iso 3200, one can shoot with higher shutter speed.

I’m interested in the IQ of the burst mode images. Maybe you could show us some selected sample frames from the 21 fps, with a good lens and some PP; just to see what results one can hope to achieve.

Thanks

I know, I’m gonna be getting the DA* 200/2.8
03-05-2008, 03:19 PM   #38
Veteran Member

burst mode IQ

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
Iím interested in the IQ of the burst mode images. Maybe you could show us some selected sample frames from the 21 fps, with a good lens and some PP;
Full discussion goes here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/21941-k20d-burst-m...esolution.html and the first post links to a full size movie, too.

Lens used was Sigma 18-200 at 18mm. Which is bad. But lens doesn't seem to be the limiting factor.

03-07-2008, 09:39 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Last one looks like motion blur. The buttons at the bottom of his shirt look like they are in focus. Closer the moving object gets to the camera, the more motion will show. Next time shoot iso 800 and shoot 1/500 or 1/640. Thanks for the post.
Exactly. All the shots are in reasonably good focus. I wonder whether this success rate could be achieved repeatedly, or was this only successful run of several?

Rob