Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
New DSLRs from Pentax

QuoteQuote:
Pentax is rumored to announce several new DSLR cameras (as early as this month, as many as 5 new DSLRs) which will be priced between $400 and $2000. I am not sure if one of those will be the long awaited full frame camera, but the $2000 price tag is just too high for an APS-C based camera (the full frame Nikon D600 costs exactly $2000). In addition, Pentax will introduce also a new compact APS-C based camera similar to the new Nikon Coolpix A which will be priced at around $700 ($400 cheaper than the Coolpix A).
If true - the response to the Coolpix A is a smart response - $700 is a fantastic price. Please give us a cheap OVF too, if you aren't putting it on the camera!

As for the DSLRs... I guess we will see...

Hope this is the right place for the thread - didn't see a "Rumors" sections.

Pentax rumored to announce several new DSLRs and a new compact APS-C camera | Photo Rumors
EDIT* - Nevermind, just saw the Rumor's section and someone else already posted it there. A mod can remove this instead~

03-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

New DSLRs from Pentax

Photo Rumors just posted an article on their website saying that Pentax is set to announce several new DSLR and one might be the new FF that everyone has been looking forward too.
03-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I saw that too. I wonder what the source on that is. I don't see how it's possible to have 5 new DSLRs. I'd say 3 max.
03-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
I saw that too. I wonder what the source on that is. I don't see how it's possible to have 5 new DSLRs. I'd say 3 max.
If the mid and higher level cameras came with or without AA filter that would be four models right there. A FF and a K5 replacement with and without AA filters plus a K-r replacement would be 5 models. That is one way although one could say that the K5II and K5IIs are only one model or is it two? Or even the K5 replacement with and without AA plus some other option we are not thinking about making 3 models from one. I cannot see five levels of dslrs but five models perhaps.

03-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by fwbigd Quote
Photo Rumors just posted an article on their website saying that Pentax is set to announce several new DSLR and one might be the new FF that everyone has been looking forward too.
I've heard of this fixed-lens rumor before. 5 DSLRs seems like a bit much, though, unless they plan on tackling the pro market segment which would be very difficult.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-10-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Two DSLRs, sure, I'll buy that. One high-end, one low-end.

Combine those with the three newish ones currently being sold, and you get five total.
03-10-2013, 06:35 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
If true - the response to the Coolpix A is a smart response - $700 is a fantastic price. Please give us a cheap OVF too, if you aren't putting it on the camera!
Can't wait for this one

03-10-2013, 06:51 PM - 6 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

k-3 blue
k-3 black
k-3 red
k-3 white
k-3 pink
/sarc
03-10-2013, 06:54 PM   #9

Real source please?
03-10-2013, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #10

Photos: Albums
If they're going to replace the K-30 please do it now while mine is still within the return period...
03-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dboeren Quote
If they're going to replace the K-30 please do it now while mine is still within the return period...
I highly doubt it'll be a replacement for the k-30. That's just too fast.

I suspect that "5" cameras could mean 3 cameras with 2 having no-AA filter versions. Or maybe even just 2 cameras, and one special edition version in addition to the AA-filterless versions.
03-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #12
Pentaxian

No way they're going to replace the K-30 at this stage. What's needed in APS-C is perhaps a genuine entry level DSLR, and a proper higher resolution replacement for the K-5. Anyone who's just bought a K-30 should be very happy with it!
03-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #13

Photos: Albums
Oh, certainly - I'm very pleased with the K-30. I was just thinking if there really are 5 models then they have to go somewhere and there are only so many current models to replace. Of course, I'd also be pleased with an updated version if there just happened to be one... Maybe better autofocusing? But not expecting it really because it's too new.

A replacement for the K-5 is a natural expectation, and will likely come in at least 2 versions (AA and without). It's after the two obvious ones that I'm not sure what to expect. A newer higher end model with full frame would make a lot of people happy but personally I see how hard it seems to be for Pentax to get a lens catalog out for just APS-C. Maybe Ricoh is flexing their muscles and planning to ramp things up a lot though?
03-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #14
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dboeren Quote
For real. I just bought a K-30 around a week ago!

I did notice personally a couple vendors had marked them 'discontinued' briefly (including B&H for one day) during this last wave of price cuts.

Oh, and when I bought my K-x, the K-r was then announced shortly after.. so if my timing is anything, it might be time to see the next in the series soon hehehe
03-10-2013, 07:46 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
No way they're going to replace the K-30 at this stage. What's needed in APS-C is perhaps a genuine entry level DSLR, and a proper higher resolution replacement for the K-5. Anyone who's just bought a K-30 should be very happy with it!
The Nikon 3200 is 24k pixels. I suspect that there will be an equivalent to the 3200, 5200 and 7100. How they make 5, we shall see, probably AA or some other feature. Maybe a FF announced. I know megapixels isn't everything, but if you have two cameras on a counter, all else being equal, the higher megapixels goes out the door.