Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2013, 07:54 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
The Nikon 3200 is 24k pixels. I suspect that there will be an equivalent to the 3200, 5200 and 7100. How they make 5, we shall see, probably AA or some other feature. Maybe a FF announced. I know megapixels isn't everything, but if you have two cameras on a counter, all else being equal, the higher megapixels goes out the door.
That is probably more true at entry level, where people are buying into a system for the first time. At upper levels most buyers will already have invested in a system, so there is a lot of inertia -- there has to be a very good reason indeed to jump ship, and a few megapixels isn't enough for most experienced photographers.

03-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
could this throw my lens acquisition plans right out the window? We will see... come on Pentax LXD!
03-10-2013, 08:08 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
could this throw my lens acquisition plans right out the window? We will see... come on Pentax LXD!
Yes, this is the big issue for Pentaxians at the moment. Is it worthwhile to continue to invest in APS-C lenses, or should we wait to see what Pentax FF looks like? Personally, I dread a future where all DSLRs are the size of the Canon 5D Mk III. Although I hope and suspect a Pentax FF will be somewhat more compact than that, its the size and weight of a bag full of FF lenses that concerns me most. So let's hope for a bright APS-C future at Pentax.
03-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Yes, this is the big issue for Pentaxians at the moment. Is it worthwhile to continue to invest in APS-C lenses, or should we wait to see what Pentax FF looks like? Personally, I dread a future where all DSLRs are the size of the Canon 5D Mk III. Although I hope and suspect a Pentax FF will be somewhat more compact than that, its the size and weight of a bag full of FF lenses that concerns me most. So let's hope for a bright APS-C future at Pentax.
My acquisition plans were for Nikon, a nice shiny 80-200 f2.8 has been holding my attention... but if Pentax decides to announce a new 24mp APS-C or FF camera I will put that on hold for whichever one gets released.

I think this is where Pentax can excel and carve out a nice little pocket for themselves. The D600 is currently the smallest FF camera on the market. I got it sitting here next to my K5 and they are very similarly sized... but the D600 is more uncomfortable to me, so I had to buy the grip. The K5 fits me like a glove.

With Pentax's egronomics I think that if they had to grow the K5 even a little bit to get all the FF goodies in there it still wouldn't be all that big. D600 sized max, and I wouldn't complain about that.

As for lenses, the FA Limiteds, DA 40mm limited, and DA*55mm limited are all proven to work on FF as tested on film, so why shouldn't they work on a digital body? I've also tested my DA*50-135 on the D600 with an adapter and have had very minimal vignetting even wide open... could it work? I don't know. These lenses are still compact. The DA*55mm 1.4 is a slight bigger than the Nikon 50mm 1.8G, but it's also faster... I don't have the 1.4G so I can't compare them, but I bet they are similarly sized.

The Pentax gear *fingers crossed* will also be much better built than the plastic toy like builds from Nikon. The D600 feels like a plastic toy with the 50mm 1.8G on it, compared to my K5 with FA 31mm limited.

03-10-2013, 08:16 PM   #20
Veteran Member

The FA Limiteds are FF lenses and they are very compact. The size issues aren't helped when you chuck ring motors and VR elements in FF glass on Canon & Nikon.
03-10-2013, 08:23 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
The FA Limiteds are FF lenses and they are very compact. The size issues aren't helped when you chuck ring motors and VR elements in FF glass on Canon & Nikon.
The FA lenses were all designed for film and mostly need updating. However, yes, though larger than the DA Limited counterparts, they are relatively compact. The lack of any need for VR in lenses was one of the main reasons I chose Pentax in the first place; I would rather have shake reduction technology built into one body than 8 lenses!
03-10-2013, 09:25 PM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

That is probably more true at entry level, where people are buying into a system for the first time. At upper levels most buyers will already have invested in a system, so there is a lot of inertia -- there has to be a very good reason indeed to jump ship, and a few megapixels isn't enough for most experienced photographers.
I do agree with you, and I think it doesn't make sense in most cases. I talked to a fellow who has the D800, a substantial investment in itself, who then has to do some serious upgrades in computer hardware to deal with the huge files. In most cases it doesn't matter, although I look forward to a 24 mpx sensor since I crop substantially.

03-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I do agree with you, and I think it doesn't make sense in most cases. I talked to a fellow who has the D800, a substantial investment in itself, who then has to do some serious upgrades in computer hardware to deal with the huge files. In most cases it doesn't matter, although I look forward to a 24 mpx sensor since I crop substantially.
Well, you'll end up cropping more on FF if lack of telephoto reach is the issue! In effect, APS-C is a pre-crop. I agree, 24 mpx APS-C sounds attractive, ... if it can retain the excellent low light performance of the K-5. I wouldn't be willing to give that up for the extra resolution.
03-10-2013, 09:33 PM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The FA lenses were all designed for film and mostly need updating
Exactly what needs do be done with the FA limiteds? I use a SMCP-K 50mm f/1.2 - designed in the 1970's, which has no optimisation for digital cameras whatsoever, but that distinction doesn't seem to be holding the lens back:

Pentax K5IIs Pentax SMC K 50mm f/1.2 - 1/1250th f/1.2 @ ISO100
03-10-2013, 09:38 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Forum Member

I've been waiting, and planning..

.. for my first Pentax DSLR and I'm really hoping it will be a full frame!
I've been holding off from buying a K-5-something, as much as I really love the ergonomics and features. I've only started acquiring Pentax gear in the last few months so when I saw the rumors that a new FF was possible this year I've been holding my breath. I'm having fun, to some extent, with the K-01 & Q but would really like an SLR. I've been packing away old Pentax manual lenses for the occasion too. If that FF makes an appearance, I'm ready for it! Or a new, hi-res, crop-body.

As a multi-brand shooter (35+ yrs Canon, 1.5 yrs Nikon) I'm a little surprised to find myself rooting for Pentax lately rather than the other big two, and I can't stop boasting to my photo-buddies how much I enjoy using them and showing them some of the cool features Pentax has that the others don't. Kind of like discovering an awesome restaurant where one wasn't expected. FEED ME MORE bright red goodness..
03-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #26
Veteran Member

A fast quad core CPU can be had for under $500, RAM is cheap, Mobo's are cheap and Hard Drives a dirt cheap ( I just bought 4x 3TB HDD's for $139ea). I have two D800E's and the render times are the hardest to take on my machine (23 seconds per file to fully render) but I'm in no rush to 'upgrade' my CPU and Mobo just yet.
03-10-2013, 09:43 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Exactly what needs do be done with the FA limiteds? I use a SMCP-K 50mm f/1.2 - designed in the 1970's, which has no optimisation for digital cameras whatsoever, but that distinction doesn't seem to be holding the lens back:

Gorgeous image there Doug!

Re' The Limiteds: The only thing wrong with the LTD's IMO is the Purple Fringing.. that's about all I can suggest that needs sorting out.
03-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Re' The Limiteds: The only thing wrong with the LTD's IMO is the Purple Fringing.. that's about all I can suggest that needs sorting out.
Nice thought but even my $15,000 Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH fringes. I think Purple fringing is a combination of optical and sensor characteristics, which is why it is so hard to eliminate. The Canon 50L and 85L which are both considered to be state of the art in terms of lens design both suffer from it. Though the funny thing is the Pentax SMC 50mm f/1.2 has the lowest amount of purple fringing of any 50mm f/1.2 or faster lens I own:

Left: FA77 f/1.8 Limited @ f/1.8 - Right Pentax SMCP-K 50mm f/1.2 @ f/1.2

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-11-2013 at 03:54 AM.
03-10-2013, 09:55 PM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote

It's very easy for Pentaxians to sit back and feel smug about these legendary lenses. Perhaps the most legendary of them all is the FA 31mm f1.8, a film era FF lens that persists and thrives into the present day. Let's now compare it with the new Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM, which is $100 cheaper. Have a look at the respective "scientific" reviews at Lenstip:

Pentax smc FA 31 mm f/1.8 AL review - Introduction - Lenstip.com

Sigma A 35 mm f/1.4 DG HSM review - Introduction - Lenstip.com

Based on those results, it is very hard indeed to think that Pentax can rest on its laurels.
03-10-2013, 10:00 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Based on those results, it is very hard indeed to think that Pentax can rest on its laurels.
You can't compare two lenses across systems, you should know that. The only way to do a fair comparison is to remove the variables introduced by the different systems is by using the same camera. An in any case, in the test data from lenstip the Pentax FA31 has significantly higher peak sharpness @ f/5.6 and superior corner sharpness than the sigma lens does. There are also other considerations such as mechanical quality: the Sigma lens is predominantly plastic, the Pentax lens is solid METAL - with an aperture ring, and engraved DOF scales too - for an extra $100 I would still buy the FA31, besides a majority of the sigma lenses that I and my professional colleagues have used nearly always had issues with de-centering and focus calibration.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-10-2013 at 10:08 PM.