Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 58 Likes Search this Thread
03-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
It's very easy for Pentaxians to sit back and feel smug about these legendary lenses. Perhaps the most legendary of them all is the FA 31mm f1.8, a film era FF lens that persists and thrives into the present day. Let's now compare it with the new Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM, which is $100 cheaper. Have a look at the respective "scientific" reviews at Lenstip:

Pentax smc FA 31 mm f/1.8 AL review - Introduction - Lenstip.com

Sigma A 35 mm f/1.4 DG HSM review - Introduction - Lenstip.com

Based on those results, it is very hard indeed to think that Pentax can rest on its laurels.
That Lenstip review of the 31LTD was really bad IMO and out of kilter with every other review of that lens I've ever read. I owned a FA31 LTD before moving to Nikon and it was a wonderful lens. I also bought a Sigma 35 F1.4 a few weeks ago (expecting to sell my 35/1.4G) but returned it after a weekend of testing it side by side with my Nikon. I found the cons were way more important to me than the published pluses. The OOF rendering was simply appauling whereas my Nikkor 35/1.4G has a much smoother OOF transition all 'round. Slightly OOF specular highlights are also drawn as bright donuts and as they appear closer to the frame edge they become ellipses.. On a D800E that lens is not for me.

03-10-2013, 10:27 PM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
5 DSLR doesn't sound too unreasonable if they consider K5II and K5IIs are 2 DSLR model.

1 to replace K5II - APSC. w/wo AA filter;
1 FF camera - w/wo AA filter;
I suspect the remaining 1 is 645DII.

03-10-2013, 10:59 PM   #33
Veteran Member

One of the comment
"I'm testing one of the prototypes: 3 different configurations exist. The one I currently have has the same sensor as the D600/A99 ... There is another model which has the same sensor as the D4 (much more expensive as a final product)... so far I'm loving it. Too bad I have to keep it taped up whenever I have it outside though.
ISO goes to 102,400 and is clean up to 12,800 (I mean, perfectly clean) Burst is still 7fps. Body is heavier than my K-5 IIs but is the same size (just heavier because of the larger mirror/prism. SR works like a dream, and the new features they are trying to implement... wow! (Bugs still have to be worked out with some of them... most of them...)"
03-10-2013, 11:22 PM   #34
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
One of the comment
"I'm testing one of the prototypes: 3 different configurations exist. The one I currently have has the same sensor as the D600/A99 ... There is another model which has the same sensor as the D4 (much more expensive as a final product)... so far I'm loving it. Too bad I have to keep it taped up whenever I have it outside though.
ISO goes to 102,400 and is clean up to 12,800 (I mean, perfectly clean) Burst is still 7fps. Body is heavier than my K-5 IIs but is the same size (just heavier because of the larger mirror/prism. SR works like a dream, and the new features they are trying to implement... wow! (Bugs still have to be worked out with some of them... most of them...)"

Wow, but sounds way too good to be true. 2 FF's?

03-10-2013, 11:39 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Billium28 Quote
Looks like it's April for you already mate. ;-)
03-10-2013, 11:46 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Billium28 Quote
KF-1, KF-1s, K-3, K-3s, K-300 - that's 5
03-10-2013, 11:46 PM   #37
Pentaxian

One of the comment
Source?

03-10-2013, 11:48 PM - 1 Like   #38
Veteran Member

Seeing that the market seems enamored with 'vintage' Pentax would do well to consider making a LX-D and a MX-D (yes a manual only Digital). I used to own an LX (and MX) and it was a gorgeous camera. People would go nuts for these, I know I would, even though I have a couple of Nikons.
03-11-2013, 12:01 AM   #39

I myself would love to see Pentax come out with a manual-only digital camera. K-mount, and I do not care if it remained an SLR design or went rangefinder. It would make for great shooting. The primes matched with manual is a dream. The best for me would be a slightly retro styled, compact, full-frame, manual only camera (at least for street and joy shooting). This should let the price stay lower than if it had all the "bells and whistles".
03-11-2013, 01:14 AM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
Pentax would do well to consider making a LX-D and a MX-D (yes a manual only Digital). I used to own an LX (and MX) and it was a gorgeous camera.
And if they put a FX format Monochrome sensor in the MX-D I would certainly buy it. They would have to un-cripple the camera mount though.
03-11-2013, 01:15 AM   #41
Pentaxian

One of the comment
Oh, really?

QuoteOriginally posted by prodigyxl Quote
Real source please?
Should we start searching this forum for 1st April jokes and "I dreamed last night" posts?
03-11-2013, 01:22 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh my! If Pentax releases so many DSLRs it will put me in a real quandry. It'll take me 6 months to decide which to buy, and even then I'll wish I'd bought one of the others...... Still, it's a problem I'm willing to face. But, realistically, I'm going back to me "we'll see what we'll see" mode until something happens.
03-11-2013, 01:41 AM   #43
ogl
Banned

5 DSLR doesn't sound too unreasonable if they consider K5II and K5IIs are 2 DSLR model.

1 to replace K5II - APSC. w/wo AA filter;
1 FF camera - w/wo AA filter;
I suspect the remaining 1 is 645DII.

My crystal ball says...
K-3s/K-3,
645DII
K-300 or K-02 (I don't see exactly)
GRD V

Last edited by ogl; 03-11-2013 at 01:52 AM.
03-11-2013, 01:55 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
And if they put a FX format Monochrome sensor in the MX-D I would certainly buy it. They would have to un-cripple the camera mount though.
I hear you LOUD AND CLEAR mate!
03-11-2013, 02:07 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
My crystal ball says...
K-3s/K-3,
645DII
K-300 or K-02 (I don't see exactly)
GRD V

That's 4 DSLRs. How about two new 645D models? A near-FF high-end high-MP model and a lower-MP crop model that's significantly less expensive than the current?