Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 58 Likes Search this Thread
03-11-2013, 05:53 AM   #61
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The lens question is the big one. While FF is eagerly anticipated, I don't see much on the lens roadmap to get excited about. At the moment there appear to be two D-FA macros, five FA primes and no FF zooms in production. That wouldn't be much to launch a new FF body on. I don't think the strategy would be to market to the converts who have a raft of old lenses (not "digital optimised") and are eager to use them on FF again. That would be selling into a dimishing market (a lot of us with stacks of FF lenses are getting old and grey).

I suspect something a bit more "left field" from Pentax-Ricoh. They need a game changer and they have been hinting that that is what they are working on. I guess we'll know soon (or not).

03-11-2013, 06:07 AM   #62
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
The lens question is the big one. While FF is eagerly anticipated, I don't see much on the lens roadmap to get excited about.
There is mention of a DA zoom Limited lens around 24-35mm, and a wide 12-28mm DA zoom lens* a DA* 16-85 lens, and lastly a circa 200-400mm DA zoom lens on the roadmap. that is all...no new primes...nothing to get all that excited about.

*which seems to have a very close range to the existing 12-24mm...a FX format re-design?

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-11-2013 at 06:15 AM.
03-11-2013, 06:13 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
The lens question is the big one. While FF is eagerly anticipated, I don't see much on the lens roadmap to get excited about. At the moment there appear to be two D-FA macros, five FA primes and no FF zooms in production. That wouldn't be much to launch a new FF body on. I don't think the strategy would be to market to the converts who have a raft of old lenses (not "digital optimised") and are eager to use them on FF again. That would be selling into a dimishing market (a lot of us with stacks of FF lenses are getting old and grey).

I suspect something a bit more "left field" from Pentax-Ricoh. They need a game changer and they have been hinting that that is what they are working on. I guess we'll know soon (or not).
If Pentax is planning to release a FF camera without pre-announced fanfare, I doubt they would tip their hand by talking about FF-capable lenses they are working on.
03-11-2013, 06:17 AM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I doubt they would tip their hand by talking about FF-capable lenses they are working on.
There are already FX format capable lenses out there. Granted, there aren't enough of them that would cover all photographic purposes.

03-11-2013, 06:19 AM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Near FF - what do you mean? APS-C or FF. No near FF models.
I think he is referring to APS-H
03-11-2013, 06:32 AM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
No, not at all, I think APS-H is utterly silly. When I talk about "near-FF" in the context of a high-end 645D model, I of course mean a sensor covering almost 645 FF!
03-11-2013, 06:36 AM   #67
Veteran Member

There are already FX format capable lenses out there. Granted, there aren't enough of them that would cover all photographic purposes.
Sure... that Pentax sells some older FF capable lenses isn't "news". If they announced they are working on new FF capable lenses it would certainly be news that could trump any announcement of a new FF DSLR.

03-11-2013, 06:36 AM   #68
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The problem is that the roadmap shows new DA lenses and DA means APS-C. But you are certainly right when you say that they would not want to flag the development of new lenses for a larger formar DSLR. So it could be happening. More pixels on the same size sensor is not the answer.
03-11-2013, 06:39 AM   #69

If you just look at Pentax, maybe,

I have Sigma 17 - 35, 28 - 70, 70-200 all DG / FF

In FF primes I have Sigma 24mm and Pentax 43, 50, 77, 100

I have been waiting a long time for a Pentax FF and the 'certanty' that one would come has coloured my lens purchases.

Bill

Last edited by Billgscott; 03-11-2013 at 06:42 AM. Reason: make more sense
03-11-2013, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #70
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
That Lenstip review of the 31LTD was really bad IMO and out of kilter with every other review of that lens I've ever read. I owned a FA31 LTD before moving to Nikon and it was a wonderful lens. I also bought a Sigma 35 F1.4 a few weeks ago (expecting to sell my 35/1.4G) but returned it after a weekend of testing it side by side with my Nikon. I found the cons were way more important to me than the published pluses. The OOF rendering was simply appauling whereas my Nikkor 35/1.4G has a much smoother OOF transition all 'round. Slightly OOF specular highlights are also drawn as bright donuts and as they appear closer to the frame edge they become ellipses.. On a D800E that lens is not for me.
Just goes to show that sharpness isn't everything. Rendering of out of focus areas is a very underrated area of lens design and one area that Sigma really tends to fall down in.
03-11-2013, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
QuoteQuote:
One of the comment
"I'm testing one of the prototypes: 3 different configurations exist. The one I currently have has the same sensor as the D600/A99 ... There is another model which has the same sensor as the D4 (much more expensive as a final product)... so far I'm loving it. Too bad I have to keep it taped up whenever I have it outside though.
ISO goes to 102,400 and is clean up to 12,800 (I mean, perfectly clean) Burst is still 7fps. Body is heavier than my K-5 IIs but is the same size (just heavier because of the larger mirror/prism. SR works like a dream, and the new features they are trying to implement... wow! (Bugs still have to be worked out with some of them... most of them...)"
Source?
Sherlock Holmes Google reveals: Mike (Milan) Svitek comments in Photo Rumors.

He already owns a K-3 ("Pentax 645D + K-5 + K20D + K-3 + Leica"), which might be offered in the future with one of two possible kit lenses (a 28-80/2.8-4 or a 24-120/2.8-4.5):

03-11-2013, 07:55 AM   #72
ogl
Banned

It could be joke... Too good news.

http://inst.ag/u/svitekphotos/

Slovakian, Pro Photographer, world traveller, writer, boyfriend, ski/snowboarder. . Pentax 645D + K-5 + K20D + K-3 + Leica .

Last edited by ogl; 03-11-2013 at 08:00 AM.
03-11-2013, 08:22 AM   #73
Veteran Member

Maybe, I should have made use of more and/or bigger smilies.

:big_red_downwards_pointing_and_blinking_arrow:
QuoteQuote:

:big_red_upwards_pointing_and_blinking_arrow:
03-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #74
Banned

So I'm not alone on this one
03-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #75
Pentaxian

You are alone
QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
No, not at all, I think APS-H is utterly silly. When I talk about "near-FF" in the context of a high-end 645D model, I of course mean a sensor covering almost 645 FF!