Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 58 Likes Search this Thread
03-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #136
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Most interesting news I've read in a while. After the last April Fools joke, I'll believe it when it happens.
It would take more than just a new body announcement to convince me to buy. I hope they have new flashes, wifi, remote triggers, lenses, converters, grips, etc to help fill in the preceived gaps in the system.

03-11-2013, 08:58 PM   #137
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cfraz Quote
The most likely person to know would be the writer of the PhotoRumers article. But I give zero credence to someone who predicts Pentax will announce 5 new DSLR's at the same time.
One thing makes it possible - it would certainly draw major attention and shake up the overriding opinion that Pentax can't do anything dramatic. It would also make it easier for retailers to order enough merch. to make the minimum annual stocking limits.

There may be valid business reasons to do something this dramatic.
03-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #138
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
According to Asahi man on the dprreview forums what we may soon be seeing are 1) a K3-type of camera with a 24mp Sony sensor and 2) an entry level 16mp camera below the K30. Er, that's it. To paraphrase, this he says means that

No FF announcement
No $2000 camera
After the announcements there will be 5 DSLRs in the line-up (not, up to 5 DSLRs/cameras are about to be announced - the key misunderstanding here)
No news from Ricoh-branded cameras (it sounds as though they may be for the chop)

Surely much more likely than the drama scenario of five new cams at once. A K3 and something for the cheaper end, not necessarily announced together, are broadly what folks have been expecting for a long time now and ties with what Pentax have typically produced at any one time. This leaves plenty of gaps for Pentax not to fill in ho ho (a teleconverter, flash system, etc) and the question open of whether they are going to get stuck in or run scaredy-cat with APS-C mirrorless (fixed lens Ricoh-type of GRD V, etc.). Business as usual, in other words. No doubt the autumn/fall would bring more new things such as a K30 replacement. Who knows, of course.

Last edited by mecrox; 03-11-2013 at 09:19 PM.
03-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #139
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
To you may be... but many others don't want articulating screen... optical viewfinder is still preferred for professionals.
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I for one DON'T want an articulating screen. Something to break off, and compromise WR. I never use the screen for composing anyway. I can appreciate that some people may find it occasionally useful, but not for me thanks.
QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
Is that Pentax won't have a articulating screen!

If They don't it could be a major game changer for me.
I have lots of Pentax cameras and lenses, and a articulating screen makes taking some images so much easier. i would have to take a hard look at my system.

I purchased a Sony NEX 5n last year, and since then have barley used my Pentax cameras (I have more that 6 Pentax DSLR's), just because the articulating/tilting screen of SONY makes image taking so much easier.

I'm waiting, I love Pentax and their quality, but I think an articulating screen is very, very important.

wll
I am very strongly against articulating screens. I had a NEX-5N and while I saw the advantages, and it was a nice screen... it comes down to the reason I sold it and kept my Pentax system in the first place. OVF framing is the only way I truly enjoy shooting. Its easier for me 100%. Sure for low angles it would be very advantageous, especially once the knees start giving me troubles, but right now I have no issues of getting on my belly.

Now with that being said, I understand the marketing reasons. So I would do this:

entry level apsc- K30 sensor, articulating screen
mid level apsc - 20mp Sony sensor, articulating screen
semi-pro apsc - 20mp Sony Sensor, WR, fixed screen
pro apsc - 24mp Toshiba Sensor, WR, fixed screen
FF - 24mp Sony sensor, WR, fixed screen, interchangeable viewfinders, interchangeable focusing screens
mirrorless APSC - 24mp Toshiba Sensor, articulating screen

now what I would like, but it's 100% not realistic is true digital reincarnation of the LX. Much like how I talk about the FF version. But with exchangeable EVFs, and in a m4/3 format to keep the size down with an uncrippled K-m4/3 adapter. I don't think it would sell to be honest.... only to me anyways. if they came out with that, AND a FF based on the LX system concept then I would buy both, and be happier than a toddler with a fresh diaper.

03-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #140
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
but right now I have no issues of getting on my belly.
you don't do your own washing do you?
03-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #141
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I think Purple fringing is a combination of optical and sensor characteristics, which is why it is so hard to eliminate
Glad to read that I am not alone in this conclusion.

Steve
03-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #142
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
One thing makes it possible - it would certainly draw major attention and shake up the overriding opinion that Pentax can't do anything dramatic. It would also make it easier for retailers to order enough merch. to make the minimum annual stocking limits.

There may be valid business reasons to do something this dramatic.
I agree with everything you wrote, save the word "possible" in the first sentence ("desirable" I could buy). But I just don't see Pentax going 0 - 60mph in 2.1 seconds, metaphoricly speaking, when they've mangaged no better than 8.5 seconds up to now.

Given a big enough budget (seems unlikely given the general 2012 bidness blahs), Pentax might be able to throw together 5 new bodies. But they don't have the expertize, staffing or infrastructure to produce 5 new competitive DSLR's in such a short time period. And I don't think Pentax would announce 5 if they didn't think they were all winners. IMHO only.

03-11-2013, 09:50 PM   #143
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Pentax still produces the D-FA 25/4 lens for internal market film shooters. The new HD D-FA 90/2.8 macro covers FF 645 as did the D-FA 55/2.8 It would be logical to upgrade the digital 645 sensor size within actual 35mm over-megapixel growth environment
Indeed the newer 90mm f/2.8 lens does cover Full frame 645 - I happen to own one of the older DFA 25mm f/4 ASPH lenses, but I am concerned about the DA 25mm f/4 - to quote from the marketing blurb:

"The built-in lens hood is optimally shaped for the angle of view when the lens is mounted on the PENTAX 645D camera body..."

This suggests that using a larger sensor than 44X33mm will cause more vignetting or much worse: complete blackout in the corners with this lens - and the fact that pentax is only selling the DFA version of the 25mm f/4 in the Japanese market is rather... bizarre. Wouldn't it be easier and more cost effective to have just one production line for the DFA lens and not waste money on an additional DA specific production line for international buyers? the lens still costs quite a bit the only real advantage the DA version of it has is that the DA25mm f/4 has slightly lower CA than the DFA lens does.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-11-2013 at 09:59 PM.
03-11-2013, 10:31 PM   #144
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
Is that Pentax won't have a articulating screen!

If They don't it could be a major game changer for me.
I have lots of Pentax cameras and lenses, and a articulating screen makes taking some images so much easier. i would have to take a hard look at my system.

I purchased a Sony NEX 5n last year, and since then have barley used my Pentax cameras (I have more that 6 Pentax DSLR's), just because the articulating/tilting screen of SONY makes image taking so much easier.

I'm waiting, I love Pentax and their quality, but I think an articulating screen is very, very important.

wll
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Shots like this are made far easier with an articulating screen. The combination of low shooting angle and strong ND filter renders the OVF useless even if you could get your eye to it.

This is my long exposure set up.... as you can see my knees will thank Pentax if they ever come out with an articulating screen.
It seems like a lot of us used the low sales price on the sony NEX 5n to try out a different camera manufacturer than Pentax. I liked some of what i saw, didn't like some other aspects. But my attitude changed completely, I now will buy the best camera out there for my needs from any manufacturer. Seemingly, Pentax keeps writing off various segments of the camera buying population:
a. No FF customers
b. No mirrorless customers unless you're willing to accept a small PS sensor
c. DSLRs but no articulated screens.

Seems to me that if one is going to stay in the marketplace with primarily APSC dslrs, one has to be a bit more interesting in the body format.

I really like the folding screen on the 5n, a whole lot more flexible in use than the Pentax LV fixed screen. Come on Pentax - keep it interesitng.
03-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #145
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
According to Asahi man on the dprreview forums what we may soon be seeing are 1) a K3-type of camera with a 24mp Sony sensor and 2) an entry level 16mp camera below the K30. Er, that's it. To paraphrase, this he says means that

No FF announcement
No $2000 camera
After the announcements there will be 5 DSLRs in the line-up (not, up to 5 DSLRs/cameras are about to be announced - the key misunderstanding here)
Right.

645DII and APS-C compact camera will be later.
03-11-2013, 10:41 PM - 1 Like   #146
Veteran Member

I don't know that I'd purchase the K-3. It'd have to have some unexpectedly better IQ. Perhaps with no AA filter it might be plausible to make it worthwhile.

I think I'll sit this one out and wait for the FF.
03-11-2013, 11:32 PM   #147
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well there isn't any pressing need for upgrading APS-C cameras at all unless there is a significant pragmatic advantage to the photographer. Most amateurs and even enthusiasts need little more than 6-10Mp and AF the speed and accuracy of the K-r. I know a number of happy amateurs who have had a long and happy run with their *ist DS and haven't looked further since it's done everything they've wanted.

Our wants, on the other hand, keep us lusting after the next big thing. And there's nothing wrong with that, but it does make us continually push expectations and get increasingly disappointed at incremental improvements. I too am more than happy with the K-5. It's a great camera. It's barely missed a shot for me. But the FF is a 'want' in the back of my mind that keeps surfacing. I might cave in to this lure once it arrives with a Pentax label on it, but hopefully my better judgement will weigh in on whether it is worth the investment...

This decision is going to be much easier with the soon-to-be-announced K-3...
03-11-2013, 11:32 PM   #148
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I don't know that I'd purchase the K-3. It'd have to have some unexpectedly better IQ. Perhaps with no AA filter it might be plausible to make it worthwhile.

+1 I'm waiting for the FF!
03-11-2013, 11:55 PM   #149
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HSV Quote
I see what you mean...it seems like a sudden drop in sharpness, not gradual (as one would expect).

I have been noticing something similiar to this effect on my Sigma 1.4 (which is often criticized for corner softness). I think it's not softness per se, but a radical change in field curvature and/or distortion.
You don't buy the Sigma 1,4 for sharpness right across the frame. The 1,4 is a great shallow DOF shooter and a bit of edge softness doesn't hurt the bokeh
03-11-2013, 11:58 PM   #150
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote

I agree with the bit in bold, but couldn't care less about the AA filter removal. I haven't seen one comparison between the K-5II and K-5IIs that shows any meaningful IQ difference in the real world.

I'm not bothered about ever increasing pixel numbers, but I would seriously consider a k-3 if it added a couple or three stops increase in high ISO performance.