Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 58 Likes Search this Thread
03-12-2013, 12:00 AM   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
Is that Pentax won't have a articulating screen!

If They don't it could be a major game changer for me.
I have lots of Pentax cameras and lenses, and a articulating screen makes taking some images so much easier. i would have to take a hard look at my system.

I purchased a Sony NEX 5n last year, and since then have barley used my Pentax cameras (I have more that 6 Pentax DSLR's), just because the articulating/tilting screen of SONY makes image taking so much easier.

I'm waiting, I love Pentax and their quality, but I think an articulating screen is very, very important.

wll
For the price of that NEX you could have bought a giant LCD screen to plug into the K5's HDMI-out port. That's what I did to do extreme macro stacking.

03-12-2013, 12:14 AM   #152
wll
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
It seems like a lot of us used the low sales price on the sony NEX 5n to try out a different camera manufacturer than Pentax. I liked some of what i saw, didn't like some other aspects. But my attitude changed completely, I now will buy the best camera out there for my needs from any manufacturer. Seemingly, Pentax keeps writing off various segments of the camera buying population:
a. No FF customers
b. No mirrorless customers unless you're willing to accept a small PS sensor
c. DSLRs but no articulated screens.

Seems to me that if one is going to stay in the marketplace with primarily APSC dslrs, one has to be a bit more interesting in the body format.

I really like the folding screen on the 5n, a whole lot more flexible in use than the Pentax LV fixed screen. Come on Pentax - keep it interesitng.
All my catalog stuff and other photographic adventures were shot up till last year with Pentax. Pentax announced their new mirrorless, and when I learned it did not have a EVF or and articulating screen, I went looking for options. I settled on the Sony 5n and have not at all been disappointed.

I no longer need to lay on the ground to get low angle shots, I no longer have to just about break my neck on a ladder to see the view finder ..... and I could go on and on. Those of you who have not used one and have not experienced the huge benefits don't realize.... could you imagine a video camera without an articulating screen, not going to happen.

I was so impressed with the NEX system, our office manager now has two of them and uses them for our web page and forum stuff, I have two of them and I don't see myself ever using my Pentax for catalog stuff ever again, the tilting screen is soooooo much easier to use.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a HUGE Pentax fan boy, I love their quality and their ergonomics are second to none. I have way to many K20D's to talk about, safes full of Pentax lenses and I love my K-5 for concert stuff ....... I'm just venting about a feature I would love to see implemented.

Anyway so much for my rant, it's your turn ;- )

wll
03-12-2013, 12:24 AM   #153
Pentaxian

I'd agree that it can be useful, but I can't say I agree that its that big a leap in improving how one shoots.
Maybe for you, but certainly not everybody.
In LV even with a fixed LCD, I can already see from it even when the LCD is not angled exactly to my line of sight.

Its about compromises.
I can still 'make do' with a non-articulating LCD, and gaining perhaps better reliability from the LCD (no moving flex circuit and moving articulating arm).
I'd like to be able to take photos lying on my bed via remote control and wireless control/tethering too, but, again, not everyone is a lazy bum like me nor want to pay more for what they consider non-essentials.
So fixed LCD is a trade off I can live with (and perhaps that's what Pentax concludes for now in product development)

I do have a G3 (articulating + touch screen), so I'm not disagreeing blindly.

So, its a good to have, 'don't mind to have one', but not a must.

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
All my catalog stuff and other photographic adventures were shot up till last year with Pentax. Pentax announced their new mirrorless, and when I learned it did not have a EVF or and articulating screen, I went looking for options. I settled on the Sony 5n and have not at all been disappointed.

I no longer need to lay on the ground to get low angle shots, I no longer have to just about break my neck on a ladder to see the view finder ..... and I could go on and on. Those of you who have not used one and have not experienced the huge benefits don't realize.... could you imagine a video camera without an articulating screen, not going to happen.

I was so impressed with the NEX system, our office manager now has two of them and uses them for our web page and forum stuff, I have two of them and I don't see myself ever using my Pentax for catalog stuff ever again, the tilting screen is soooooo much easier to use.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a HUGE Pentax fan boy, I love their quality and their ergonomics are second to none. I have way to many K20D's to talk about, safes full of Pentax lenses and I love my K-5 for concert stuff ....... I'm just venting about a feature I would love to see implemented.

Anyway so much for my rant, it's your turn ;- )

wll

Last edited by pinholecam; 03-12-2013 at 12:33 AM.
03-12-2013, 12:26 AM   #154
Veteran Member

I wish it would be an old K-1 which never came. AI love oldschool tech

03-12-2013, 12:34 AM   #155

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Yes, this is the big issue for Pentaxians at the moment. Is it worthwhile to continue to invest in APS-C lenses, or should we wait to see what Pentax FF looks like? Personally, I dread a future where all DSLRs are the size of the Canon 5D Mk III. Although I hope and suspect a Pentax FF will be somewhat more compact than that, its the size and weight of a bag full of FF lenses that concerns me most. So let's hope for a bright APS-C future at Pentax.
Actually that's why I'm starting to buy quality off brand lenses, like the sigma 70-200 and 35/1.4, I can use them now on my k5, and I can use them later on a FF Pentax camera.
03-12-2013, 12:43 AM   #156
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
One thing makes it possible - it would certainly draw major attention and shake up the overriding opinion that Pentax can't do anything dramatic. It would also make it easier for retailers to order enough merch. to make the minimum annual stocking limits.

There may be valid business reasons to do something this dramatic.
Yeah, but the launch of each product could be compromised by making such an effort. Did they had time to finish (and I mean, really finish - not K-5 finish) 5 DSLRs? Do they have the production capacity to cover it? Will they all sell in high enough quantities, with a substantial momentarily jump in market share or - more likely - the share of each camera will decrease?
03-12-2013, 01:09 AM   #157
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Yeah, but the launch of each product could be compromised by making such an effort. Did they had time to finish (and I mean, really finish - not K-5 finish) 5 DSLRs? Do they have the production capacity to cover it? Will they all sell in high enough quantities, with a substantial momentarily jump in market share or - more likely - the share of each camera will decrease?
No, surely? Because very few of us think they are going to do this anyway. It's just a rumour, and pretty crazy-sounding. Not even Nikon or Canon release five cameras of this kind all within a few weeks.

The rumour just a rumour does sound more plausible if you say that by the end of this year, Pentax are aiming to field an offering of 4-5 DSLRs, a 645D mark 2, an APS-C fixed-lenser of Ricoh heritage (though maybe Pentax-branded) and their range of Qs, compacts, etc. I say 4-5 DSLRs because at some stage the K5II will run out and the K30 will need refreshing so things are always in flux. Taken broadly, this is a strong offering compared to 2-3 years ago and all evolutionary, not requiring dramatic changes and bags of money on Ricoh's part.

But of course, who knows ...

03-12-2013, 01:39 AM   #158
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So there will be no $2000 camera after all. It all makes more sense then.

QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote

K-30 New Sensor
That caught my eye - does it mean that the K-30 gets and upgrade? To the 20mp sensor, perhaps?
If that's the case, we're talking about 3 new DSLRs, that would really be a statement of commitment.

IMHO the most important of these cameras will be the "K-300" - they need to make that an interesting alternative to the low-end Canons and Nikons and also to the mirrorless lot.
03-12-2013, 01:47 AM   #159
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
While a FF camera is all find and dandy, I personally have no interest in one. However, I suspect that a lot of people will be selling off their APS-C only lenses to try and scoop up some FF lenses, and I'll be waiting cash in hand to get some good deals on those APS-C lenses.

Everyone wins!
+1

myself, i am more interested in a new high end aps-c sensor based camera that covers shortcomings of prior ones...
thinking of movie mode, articulated screen,...

as hobby photographer, i don't see a reason to go FF.
For pentax to compete in professional league, yes...
03-12-2013, 02:40 AM   #160
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If the K-30 gets a new (more pixels) sensor, it won't be the K-30. The K-30 is less than a year old and it broke some new ground with things like WR in a camera in its price range. Replacing a model too quickly can alienate consumers, so I doubt it will change unless it becomes a K-30 ii. K300 or something similar as a base grade camera is more likely - maybe al "all manual" offering. I believe that a lot of what Pentax had in the past was built on the fact that photography students used all manual cameras - and the K1000 was in high demand for that purpose. If Pentax could recapture that market it might rebuild its customer base through brand identification.

I think it is more likely that the K-5 will go, to be replaced by a 20 or 24MP K-3 and K-3s, together with a top of the line K-FX1 and K-FX1s (or whatever they are called), and the new base grade body. I would prefer to see something evolve from the K-01 but there is no hint of that. Sadly, I think Pentax Ricoh have thrown out the baby with the bath water on that one.

Personally, my K10D and K-01 do everything I need and it will stay that way until one or the other breaks. But it is interesting to watch from the sidelines.
03-12-2013, 02:58 AM   #161
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know everyone is about a new full frame camera, but I don't think we honestly thought that one was coming before December anyway. Gives them time to find the right niche. There is no particular rush at this point, as nearly everyone who is going to release a new full frame camera has already done so. Ricoh just has to figure out a segment of the market that they can target to make a splash.
03-12-2013, 02:59 AM   #162
Banned

New camera line-up

Well thinking about it and the past history off Pentax reusing parts in camera's. They have currently PRIME II (16mp 14-bit processing) and PRIME M (16mp 12-bit processing). It is probably the bit-rate that makes the difference.

So to this there will be one new processing engine (and following electronis) made. This would be for 24mp 14-bit processing (for K-3, K-1 and 645D IIs).
- K-300 entry level, and that makes it 16mp 12-bit (PRIME M)
- K-30 mid level, 16mp 12-bit (PRIME M)
- K-5 II(s) midlevel in probody, 16mp 14-bit (PRIME II)
- K-3(s) toplevel, and that makes it 24mp 14-bit (PRIME III)
- later on K-1(s) FF 24mp with 14-bit (PRIME III)
- 645D, 40mp 14-bit (PRIME II)
- later on 645D II(s) 60mp 14-bit (PRIME III)

In that scenario K-5 II(s) will migrate to midlevel in pro-body and can be around for another year. In this way Pentax can create a full line off camera's produced in batches.

Cheapest scenario for all electronics inside the camera.
03-12-2013, 04:35 AM   #163
Pentaxian

[deleted]

Last edited by beholder3; 08-12-2013 at 01:35 AM.
03-12-2013, 04:49 AM - 1 Like   #164
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How about a new 67D...
03-12-2013, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #165
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote

In that scenario K-5 II(s) will migrate to midlevel in pro-body and ....
Excuse me? Using the words "K5-IIs" and "pro-body" in the same sentence is a bit of an oxymoron isn't it?

And everyone is forgetting that Ricoh / Pentax will need some new digital optimised FF lenses for the new FF body (likely late 2014), unless they strike a deal with Tokina or Tamron or Sigma.

Tokina has a very nice 16-28mm UWA FF lens, but is it top Pentax quality?.
Tamron has an acceptably good 24-70mm 2.8 zoom, but it definitely isn't top Pentax quality.
Sigma was a decent 70-200mm 2.8 zoom, that probably is good enough for Pentax FF.
The DA* 300mm is OK, the DA 560 isn't good enough for FF.
This leaves the FA 35/2 - good enough, FA50/1.4 - barely good enough, FA 31 and FA43 and FA 77 - all good enough.
Sigma 15/2.8 EX DG is good enough fisheye.
Sigma 85/1.4 also good enough
Sigma 24-70/2.8 EX DG HSM is probably good enough.
Tamron 90 SP macro is good enough.

But you can't introduce an FF camera body alone, you need some branded lenses, support, and at the very lest an inexpensive kit "normal" and "tele" zoom, and I just can't see them anywhere, yet.

I predict 2014, or even 2015 for FF, and by then it will probably be all too late.