Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 58 Likes Search this Thread
03-13-2013, 07:22 AM   #256
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
The technology is changing so fast that Smart and Promethean Boards are already out of date and educrats are constantly asking for more technology, only to be out of date when the products are finally bid and delivered.
This is really OT, but interesting OT. The rush to introduce "information technology" into schools is full of pitfalls. My wife works as a high school teacher and has always had a lot of trouble with half-working smart boards, so despite being quite tech savvy (she loves her iPad mini), she still likes to use the good old blackboard + chalk a lot

At the same time as this sometimes misguided rush to computerize education, something as simple as PDF versions of textbooks is lagging behind because of IP concerns. So my 14 year old son still has to carry a far too heavy backpack full of non-searchable paper books when he could have had PDFs available on computer, smartphone and iPad (which I would have bought him in an instant if PDF versions of the textbooks were available).

03-13-2013, 07:39 AM   #257
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
What's the problem with that? You just make a cooling accessory
Wasn't that (incorrectly named stovepipe) accessory one of the design objections on the K-01?
03-13-2013, 07:44 AM   #258
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
non-searchable paper books when he could have had PDFs available on computer,
An analog book may be non-searchable - (that's a feature, not a bug) but a .pdf textbook is non-readable.

Another point - I know I'm old - but wasn't the Index the search function of an analog textbook? Wasn't the Appendix the link tio Wikipedia?

Technology changes nothing.
03-13-2013, 07:52 AM   #259
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
What if all the recent advances in sensor technology didn't only contribute to the affordability of FF sensors, but also for MF sensors?

A 645DmkII would then - of course - still be more expensive then for a example a D800, but approaching a pricepoint where more people are likely to think: "Why would I go FF, if I can go MF for just $x,- extra?"
But would you still care about FF if the new rumored Pentax DSLRs turn out to make the above a reality?

03-13-2013, 07:58 AM   #260
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
An analog book may be non-searchable - (that's a feature, not a bug) but a .pdf textbook is non-readable.
Really? Have you tried reading PDFs on tablet computers at all?

QuoteQuote:
Another point - I know I'm old - but wasn't the Index the search function of an analog textbook?
Right. But indexes are rarely complete, and using an electronic table of contents and searching electronically is much faster.
03-13-2013, 08:02 AM   #261
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
But would you still care about FF if the new rumored Pentax DSLRs turn out to make the above a reality?
I would still care about FF even if I would be able to buy a DMF for only $5000 extra
03-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #262
Pentaxian

Right. But indexes are rarely complete, and using an electronic table of contents and searching electronically is much faster.
A bit off topic, but the only benefit of pdf's are size and the ability to carry around dozens of large reference books. That is the only advantage. In use they are awkward. The structure of a well done reference book was established for paper, and over time we probably will see a different structure optimized for digital viewing. A paper book in hand has context outside of what is on the page you are looking at, and that is what is missing from digital readers. Sequentially they work fine, but for reference they are a nuisance. The only benefit is that my tablet has dozens, so they are at hand.

03-13-2013, 08:32 AM   #263
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes. All day every day. It sucks.

Proper Indexing is a lost art. Find what you specifically want in any Pentax User Manual.

If a user fully understand Boolean Queries, has a search engine that can effectively perform the Boolean search and the user trusts the result to be mutually inclusive and exclusive of the desired information, then yes electronic searches are faster. Otherwise that is not the case. Find what you specifically want in any Pentax User Manual.

I think we both have valid points. Neither analog nor digital is perfect. Both are preferable in a certain context.
03-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #264
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I like scrolls. Much easier to use.
03-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #265
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I think we both have valid points. Neither analog nor digital is perfect. Both are preferable in a certain context.
Agreed. My main point about schoolchildren and PDFs is that they could do with carrying around a tablet computer and wouldn't have to carry textbooks every day.

But my K-5 paper manual, btw, lies almost unused on a shelf. Text search is faster when I need to know something, and (more important) I always have it with me if I need it when out shooting (it's in "iBooks" on my iPhone).
03-13-2013, 09:06 AM   #266
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But my K-5 paper manual, btw, lies almost unused on a shelf.
  1. I'm kind of an old-school geek. The FIRST thing I do when I get a new camera (after putting the battery in the charger) is sit down and read the manual front to back. I usually learn things I didn't know and wouldn't have known otherwise. I also remember there was something I read that I've forgotten, so I know to search for it. I simply can't do that as well on a tablet, despite all protests to the contrary from tablet and Kindle users. A book works better.
  2. My paper manual is in a pocket of whatever camera bag that camera is in (except the Q bags - that isn't possible). They're about the same size as a tablet, I can't read a pdf on a phone and I just like them better.
  3. Full Information Alert: There are 4,200+ paper books in my house. There are over 300 paper books in my work office alone.
03-13-2013, 09:13 AM   #267
Veteran Member

Thread drift?
03-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #268
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Thread drift?
We need fresh rumors. Now!
03-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #269

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
Thread drift?

No No. Focus shift.
03-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #270

So the first of April will bring a new DSLR from Pentax ? Or 22 March will be that day ?