Show Printable Version 58 Likes Search this Thread
04-05-2013, 02:35 AM   #331
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
Good reliable rumours, or just... something like this:
Sony Alpha SLT-A99 In-Depth Review: Digital Photography Review

Weatherproof full frame. At $2800.

On the, ehm, plus(?) side, the review at akam.no concludes that this camera disappoints at high ISO and dynamic range, so there's something for Pentax to take the lead with. Could someone please start a rumour to confirm this?
What's wrong with that? I love the A99, but it is something Pentax should have done, because they could have done it MUCH better. And it would have been prettier.

On the other hand, we now have FF DSLRs from the two big boys. We have FF SLT from Sony, which at least doesn't have a bouncing mirror, but introduces extra glass between the lens and the sensor. So, that still leaves a big fat FF-mirrorless-gap for Pentax to be the first in.

Last edited by Clavius; 04-05-2013 at 04:24 AM.
04-05-2013, 03:46 AM   #332
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Absolutely nothing wrong with it, Clavius! I just thought: A weatherproof, affordable full frame getting very positive reviews - I would have loved for Pentax to be first with that. But they can still beat the A99 in terms of high iso performance and dynamic range. I was just fishing for someone to launch a reliable almost-certain rumour that THAT is going to happen during the next few weeks...
04-05-2013, 05:10 AM - 2 Likes   #333
ogl
Banned

I think we need to forget about FF camera from Pentax in the near future. And make photos. Don't waste time here.

Last edited by ogl; 04-05-2013 at 07:34 AM.
04-05-2013, 05:13 AM   #334
Veteran Member

agree

04-05-2013, 07:14 AM   #335
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
I think we need to forget about FF camera from Pentax in the near future.
"Near future" is as undefined as it can get.
It won't be this year, but if you guys stopped wishful thinking and listened to what's being said by Pentax...
04-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #336
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Speculation: The surprises will all be Ricoh

Here's a pure speculation. It isn't a rumor.
  • Rumor: An inebriated Asian distributor employee stated there would be sadness in Pentaxland in the fall RE: FF - that the timing was wrong and the maker was ... "exactly the opposite"
    • Speculation: Ricoh will issue a very high quality, innovative camera or mountor in Spring 2014, possibly FF K-mount compatible
  • Fact: James Malcolm in the recent published interview commented on the opportunity at Ricoh, particularly given that their exemplary cameras have no USA market presence. He also commented that intergrating the two camera company teams had been more challenging and taken longer than initially expected.
    • Speculation: Ricoh will have a breakthrough announcement to draw attention and positive reviews some time in the next twelve months
  • Fact: James Malocolm obliquely stated his impression that the result of his telephone intervioews confirms Pentax's internal market samples - that FF isn't really a high priority for Pentax's customer base.
    • Speculation: Your guess is as good as mine.
  • Fact: James Malcolm stated in his recently published interview that Pentax customers want to see the results of the combination in new products - not just finished Hoya products that had been shelved.
    • Speculation: The first new jointly-developed product will be Ricoh-branded, not Pentax.
  • Fact: James Malcolm stated in his recenlty published interview that Q is the exciting opportunity for Pentax
    • Speculation: Q mount is Pentax's strategic mirrorless interchangeable lens camera system, not just a one-off idea.
  • Fact: James Malcolm stated in his recently published interview that many dealers abandoned Pentax because they had no direct contact channel and prohibitively high minimum volumes in thier dealer agreements.
    • Speculation: Pentax Ricoh Americas will combine the Ricoh and Pentax brands for Dealer Agreement purchasing volume and intensely market and support Ricoh cameras, where the opportunities new ideas and new products will be concentrated. This strategy will allow PRIAC to lever the brands back into specialty camera stores and higher-end retail box stores.
Discuss amongst yourselves.
04-05-2013, 07:57 AM - 1 Like   #337
Veteran Member

Hopefully Canon/Nikon/Sony/Fuji/Olympus/Panasonic etc will not release any more products so that Ricoh/Pentax can get their house in order...

04-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #338
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Q mount is Pentax's strategic mirrorless interchangeable lens camera system, not just a one-off idea.
The original one is striking for how well made it is, so that would make sense.
04-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #339
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Here's a pure speculation. It isn't a rumor.
[/LIST]Discuss amongst yourselves.

Firstly, I doubt we will see any groundbreaking Ricoh cameras.
Secondly, I believe there might have been disagreement internal regarding Pentax FF. It might very well be that Pentax have reviewed the FF solution in a slightly positive way awaiting the release of the D600 and the 6D, but that a decision in disfavour of FF may have recently been taken due to the sales volumes of the afore mentioned cameras. Also a D400 and a higher end APS DSLR from Canon are on their way. These cameras have more impact for Pentax priorities.
All speculation of course.
04-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #340
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
disagreement internal regarding Pentax FF.
Yes, that is an issue not considered much. We tend to think of Pentax, or any company for that matter, as monolithic. But in reality all companies are made up of people with differing viewpoints. Only in small entrepreneurial companies does one person's vision actually become the direction of the company.

I have been in meetings where a single 'forceful personality' sidetracked a project for years simply because they did not like the idea. No amount of information or statistics would sway them.

Add on top of that the (possibly) different opinions and experiences from Ricoh and Pentax staff as they are combined and it is easy to see how a project can get sidetracked into a dead end.
04-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #341
Veteran Member

I hope Pentax eventually makes a full line of cameras.
04-05-2013, 05:58 PM - 1 Like   #342
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
the sales volumes of the afore mentioned cameras.
Today on amazon sales ranking:

53. Pentax K-5 16.3 MP Digital SLR with 18-55mm Lens and 3-Inch LCD (Black) (Highest ranked Pentax)
54. Pentax K-5 IIs 16.3 MP DSLR Body Only (Black)
55. Pentax K-30 Weather-Sealed 16 MP CMOS Digital SLR with 18-55mm Lens (Blue)
56.284 days in the top 100 Pentax K1000 Camera with 50mm (f/2.0) Lens

So there's about 5-10 FF's ranked above Pentax's highest ranking... and a Pentax FF film camera introduced 35+ years ago and discontinued 15 years ago is selling as well on Amazon as any current Pentax.
04-05-2013, 06:38 PM   #343
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
Today on amazon sales ranking:

53. Pentax K-5 16.3 MP Digital SLR with 18-55mm Lens and 3-Inch LCD (Black) (Highest ranked Pentax)
54. Pentax K-5 IIs 16.3 MP DSLR Body Only (Black)
55. Pentax K-30 Weather-Sealed 16 MP CMOS Digital SLR with 18-55mm Lens (Blue)
56.284 days in the top 100 Pentax K1000 Camera with 50mm (f/2.0) Lens

So there's about 5-10 FF's ranked above Pentax's highest ranking... and a Pentax FF film camera introduced 35+ years ago and discontinued 15 years ago is selling as well on Amazon as any current Pentax.
That's got to scare the crap out of Pentax/Ricoh.. K1000 is a dinosaur!

From the last few posts here I'm not feeling too positive. It seems that Pentax is no-more but really Ricoh in drag... I cannot see how they could have combinded the two camera tech groups without some pain and without Ricoh actually staying in charge. Pentax is only a name these days.
04-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #344
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
That's got to scare the crap out of Pentax/Ricoh.. K1000 is a dinosaur!

From the last few posts here I'm not feeling too positive. It seems that Pentax is no-more but really Ricoh in drag... I cannot see how they could have combinded the two camera tech groups without some pain and without Ricoh actually staying in charge. Pentax is only a name these days.
My company was acquired because we had the market leading product in the only growing sector of our industry. In 4 short years our new owners have dismembered the entire old company, installed their business model and personnel and, in so doing, replaced everything that made us us. The products that made us the market leader no longer even exist.

At least they retired our name.
04-05-2013, 07:43 PM   #345
twr

Pentax needs to rekindle the magic of the K1000. Quality, affordable, and just the fundamentals.