Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
05-23-2013, 04:50 AM   #121
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Depth of field is not a factor of sensor size, but of focal length, shooting distance and lens aperture
You mean focus distance.

If FF and APS-C are both the same distance to the mountain range and shooting at f/22, there's going to be scant difference in distance to subject save for the perspective, where the FF will be wider.

05-23-2013, 04:50 AM   #122
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Here are some shots with the Sigma that are not "macro"
But most certainly sharpened considerably and HDR.
05-23-2013, 06:51 AM   #123
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I don't want to sound like a broken record (I know I mentioned this in the other thread) but #1 has serious issues with the OOF rendering in the background. I don't know how much Post Processing you did on that shot but the circles on all the forms in back are quite disturbing. This is the main reason I returned my copy months ago and decided to keep my Nikkor 35/1.4G.
And I showed you the link to the Photozone's Bokeh test that the 35/1.4G was worse than the Sigma. So how can you be complaining about it, I wonder. I don't have a lot of shots with this lens yet but it's bokeh looks to be about average for a *wide angle* lens. I have about 35 different lenses from brands such as Pentax, Zeiss, Schneider, Nikon, Mamiya and Fujinon. And these examples are no worse or better than any shot from any of them.

Last edited by tuco; 05-23-2013 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Add more info
05-23-2013, 06:56 AM   #124
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
But most certainly sharpened considerably and HDR.
Sharpened normally for any shot I convert from RAW and bullshit to HDR. I don't do HDR. These are single exposures.

Edit: I take that back. I do HDR on BW film by radically compressing the highlights during development using a pyro developer. Visit the medium format thread and you'll see a few examples recently reposted for someone.

Last edited by tuco; 05-23-2013 at 07:19 AM.
05-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #125
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paranoia23 Quote
isnt DOF even smaller on a FF sensor compared to APS-C ?!
so cropping a FF image is not the same as shooting APS-C
Shooting a FF camera with a focal length of X and aperture Y, and then cropping to APS-C dimensions will give you exactly the same picture with the same DOF as APS-C/Focal length X and aperture Y.

Shooting an FF camera with a focal length of 1.52*X and an aperture of 1.52*Y will give you the same framing and DOF as APS-C with focal length X and aperture Y.
05-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #126
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
The 35mm for Pentax is now shipping:

Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG HSM Lens for Pentax DSLR Cameras 340109 B&H

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #127
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sharpened normally for any shot I convert from RAW and bullshit to HDR. I don't do HDR. These are single exposures.
Well...you've got every channel blasted waaaaaay up. Looks like HDR.

05-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #128
Pentaxian

Well...you've got every channel blasted waaaaaay up. Looks like HDR.
So, what's wrong with that? Can't a person have a "style". It's not as gross as 9 exposure HDR shots.
05-23-2013, 09:35 AM   #129
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, what's wrong with that? Can't a person have a "style". It's not as gross as 9 exposure HDR shots.
Nothing is wrong with it. It just looks almost identical to many a HDR (maybe 3-4 exp.)

I just found it distracting trying to use a hyped up color photo to determine transition to OOF areas. Visual acuity can be hampered by color, like trying to see a flyball amongst fireworks.
05-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #130
Pentaxian

Nothing is wrong with it. It just looks almost identical to many a HDR (maybe 3-4 exp.)

I just found it distracting trying to use a hyped up color photo to determine transition to OOF areas. Visual acuity can be hampered by color, like trying to see a flyball amongst fireworks.
That's the rub with the web as a medium for evaluating pictures. We all have different monitors some high gamut and some not; some calibrated some not. Mine are edited on a ColorEdge CG276 with a built-in calibrator.
05-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #131
Pentaxian

You mean focus distance.

If FF and APS-C are both the same distance to the mountain range and shooting at f/22, there's going to be scant difference in distance to subject save for the perspective, where the FF will be wider.
Actually, the perspective depends only on the camera's position in relation to the subject.
Nothing can change it, not the format, nor the focal length; what changes is the angle of view. Which is what you were talking about
05-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #132
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by geko5766 Quote
Hello folks,

here are some more samples fotos. I hope, I can fulfill everybodies wishes

Enjoy

Best regards
Georg

PS: only resited for the forum, OOC
This is the picture that made my mind up. I do love the images, but I love the lens in the middle. The FA31mm is almost constantly on my K-01 and that does look like a good deal compared to the huge size off the Sigma.
05-23-2013, 11:32 AM   #133
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
This is the picture that made my mind up. I do love the images, but I love the lens in the middle. The FA31mm is almost constantly on my K-01 and that does look like a good deal compared to the huge size off the Sigma.
Totally agree. The limiteds are a perfect match for the K-01. That Sigma is a nice performer but just too big for my style of shooting.
05-23-2013, 11:53 AM   #134
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Actually, the perspective depends only on the camera's position in relation to the subject.
Nothing can change it, not the format, nor the focal length; what changes is the angle of view. Which is what you were talking about
Actually, I was talking about OOF gradation which relies on a focal point and accuracy therein.

That Sigma is freakin' HUGE.

Sigma = the Hummer of lens makers.
05-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #135
Pentaxian

That Sigma is freakin' HUGE.

Sigma = the Hummer of lens makers.
There is more than one Hummer on the road too. Look at the Zeiss 35/1.4