Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 12 Likes Search this Thread
05-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #136
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Totally agree. The limiteds are a perfect match for the K-01. That Sigma is a nice performer but just too big for my style of shooting.
My Fujinon 35/1.4 makes the Pentax 31/1.8 look like a large, heavy monster. It's all relative.

05-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #137

QuoteOriginally posted by Aristophanes Quote
Actually, I was talking about OOF gradation which relies on a focal point and accuracy therein.

That Sigma is freakin' HUGE.

Sigma = the Hummer of lens makers.
It's a FF lens with f/1.4 and HSM motor.
05-23-2013, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #138
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by djrocks66 Quote
You are part right but if you wanted to get the same shallow DOF as a Full frame with a 50mm 1.2 lens you would have to use a 31mm f 0.8 lens on a 1.6 crop factor camera. Good luck with that.
50mm F/1.2 lenses were designed for low light use (not necessarily shallow DOF) and frankly, I am getting sick of all these photo's of sharp eyelashes surrounded by a sea of blur. Like amateur painters, many photographers get caught up with fancy effects rather than context. Art is about meaning and not how fuzzy your backgrounds are. How many of the people posting on these forums ask themselves what the shot actually means?
05-23-2013, 03:12 PM   #139
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
And I showed you the link to the Photozone's Bokeh test that the 35/1.4G was worse than the Sigma. So how can you be complaining about it, I wonder. I don't have a lot of shots with this lens yet but it's bokeh looks to be about average for a *wide angle* lens. I have about 35 different lenses from brands such as Pentax, Zeiss, Schneider, Nikon, Mamiya and Fujinon. And these examples are no worse or better than any shot from any of them.
I owned the Sigma 35 for 4 days and shot many side-by-side shots with my 35G and came to the conclusion that the Sigma was great wide-open but that it's transition to OOF was abysmal. It was so bad on some images I thought the lens must surely have been faulty. I don't need photozone to tell me what lens I need for my purposes. I will upload a few shots later today to illustrate what I mean.

05-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #140

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
50mm F/1.2 lenses were designed for low light use (not necessarily shallow DOF) and frankly, I am getting sick of all these photo's of sharp eyelashes surrounded by a sea of blur. Like amateur painters, many photographers get caught up with fancy effects rather than context. Art is about meaning and not how fuzzy your backgrounds are. How many of the people posting on these forums ask themselves what the shot actually means?
I was not talking about artistic approach but rather commenting on the post that sensor size doesn't make a difference with shallow DOF with the same lens when it obviously does. Just because you are sick of certain shots doesn't mean that everyone else is... so be open minded... or not.
05-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #141
Pentaxian

I owned the Sigma 35 for 4 days and shot many side-by-side shots with my 35G and came to the conclusion that the Sigma was great wide-open but that it's transition to OOF was abysmal. It was so bad on some images I thought the lens must surely have been faulty. I don't need photozone to tell me what lens I need for my purposes. I will upload a few shots later today to illustrate what I mean.
That will be great. I'll be doing more bokeh tests of this Sigma too. So far these are the only ones I've taken and I reserve judgement on it till a later time.
05-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #142
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by djrocks66 Quote
I was not talking about artistic approach but rather commenting on the post that sensor size doesn't make a difference with shallow DOF with the same lens when it obviously does. Just because you are sick of certain shots doesn't mean that everyone else is... so be open minded... or not.
I am open minded. That's why I have a degree in fine arts.

05-23-2013, 03:58 PM   #143

I am open minded. That's why I have a degree in fine arts.
Ok...
05-23-2013, 04:03 PM   #144
Veteran Member

That's why I have a degree in fine arts.
Hey, makes two of us [art history/aesthetics].
Whaddaya know.
05-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #145
Veteran Member

There is more than one Hummer on the road too. Look at the Zeiss 35/1.4
Also look at the SamYang 35 f1.4. It's a big beast too.
05-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #146
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Also look at the SamYang 35 f1.4. It's a big beast too.
Makes you wonder why no one can duplicate these small lenses. Every lens is larger than their older film day counter parts... I get that. but so massively larger?
05-23-2013, 07:37 PM   #147
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Makes you wonder why no one can duplicate these small lenses. Every lens is larger than their older film day counter parts... I get that. but so massively larger?
OIS? Probably. Aspherical elements? Maybe. A greater number of elements? Probably. Closer focussing? Don't know.

The OIS would account for much of the increase in diameter, and the addition of a greater number of elements would account for length increases, but I would have though aspherical elements might have decreased the total element count.
As for closer focussing, someone with greater understanding than I have might advise here.
05-23-2013, 08:20 PM   #148
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
My Fujinon 35/1.4 makes the Pentax 31/1.8 look like a large, heavy monster. It's all relative.
You want relative size?

Watch this:

We all need a little perspective and science stuff.
05-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #149
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I saw an ad in an old photo magazine (wish I'd kept it) advertising a new Canon 1.2 or 1.4 lens, and it showed how it could soften features because some films made them so harsh. Something like that.

Back in the day photo editing was extremely costly and required a very skilled hand, and the hard edged look was seen as unflattering. Faster glass was after softer images with a halo effect, so the pre-press people had what they needed right out of the can.
05-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #150
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
In a compound word: autofocus.

The F 28/35/50's are about as small as you can get with fast glass and aperture irises and still get an AF helicoid in there with stability.