Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 44 Likes Search this Thread
03-17-2013, 05:29 PM - 1 Like   #196
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Ewins Quote
Your blunt dismissal of the K-01 as "ugly" suggest you don't understand it and thus reject it
I reject it also (not because of it's ugliness), it is one ugly camera though. It also seemed to get rejected by many others, that is one reason why it has been discontinued (maybe or maybe not because of it's ugliness). Hey, lets get back on track though, weren't we talking about those ugly Carp?

03-17-2013, 05:34 PM   #197
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
weren't we talking about those ugly Carp?
I thought we were talking about cigars............
03-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #198
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
WR cigars … ?
Hey we need humidity to keep our cigar lol. ...
03-17-2013, 06:53 PM - 1 Like   #199
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Ewins Quote
You know, your response sounds a lot like "I don't know much about art, but I know what I like". Your blunt dismissal of the K-01 as "ugly" suggest you don't understand it and thus reject it. Perhaps if you had studied twentieth century design you might understand where this is coming from and where the designer was going with it. It takes time and a little training for people to learn to appreciate wine or whiskey or fly-fishing and so on, and design and indeed aesthetics is no different.
Oh dear, not another horribly patronising and insulting individual. Like the other poster I shall refrain from giving you the response you deserve in respect of the forum terms and conditions. Has it ever occoured to you that some people just find something ugly regardless of any intentions by the designer of said object.

You sound like one of those people who fawns over a house brick in an art gallery just because the exhibitor has attached some pretentious label to said house brick becuase it makes you appear to be one of the in crowd and then look down upon people who just see it as a pointless house brick.

03-17-2013, 06:56 PM   #200
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Far more people have rejected the K-01 than embarrassed it. I own one and I find it butt ugly. Functional despite its design, but ugly none-the-less.

It's amazingly superior and condescending for someone to tell another what is aesthetically pleasing and that if they do not find something that they like attractive/beautiful/"art" that they are somehow either uncouth or uninformed.
Indeed. It's also a sign of deep insecurity.
03-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #201
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Oh dear, not another horribly patronising and insulting individual.
OTOH there are a few nutcases like me who know nothing about Marc Newson nor modern art - but for whatever strange reason were immediately struck by the design, think the K-01 is really attractive, find the ergonomics very good and the IQ better and just plain like the thing.

I get that we should stop spitting at each other and get on with the business of taking pictures. I get that we should return to talking about the K3 on this thread.

But you're no more right about the K-01 than I am. And I actually bought it and use it.
03-17-2013, 07:07 PM   #202
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
OTOH there are a few nutcases like me who know nothing about Marc Newson nor modern art - but for whatever strange reason were immediately struck by the design, think the K-01 is really attractive, find the ergonomics very good and the IQ better and just plain like the thing.

I get that we should stop spitting at each other and get on with the business of taking pictures. I get that we should return to talking about the K3 on this thread.

But you're no more right about the K-01 than I am. And I actually bought it and use it.

Exactly - We are all human beings, diverse and with different tastes. Be a boring old world if we all liked the same things. I fully respect your ability to think for yourself and know what you like ( or not ). At least you haven't had to resort to some textbook to decide what's aesthetically pleasing or not. Now that would be sad wouldn't it

03-17-2013, 07:42 PM   #203
Veteran Member

What patronising and insulting nonsense!! Who are you tell someone what they should or should not find attractive. I don't need to 'learn' what I find attractive or not. I already have that inherent subjective response. You might not find the K-01 ugly, but please respect the opinion of those that do.

In the spirit of adhering to the forum T&Cs I'll refrain from giving you the response that you truly deserve.
I never told you that you should find something attractive at all.. ..but please give me the response you think I deserve. There's not much point replying otherwise is there?

PM it to me if you wish.
03-17-2013, 07:58 PM   #204
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
Like most, I think it is ugly! Looks like a toy.
I really like the K-01, and it is very capable of making great photos. Now the Sony a99 is one ugly camera!
03-17-2013, 09:32 PM   #205
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So I thought I would try to track this rumor a bit. So I searched and searched and found a Japanese forum that is projecting the k-3/k-3s based on a post from RH's blog dated in September 2012.

Now this is all Google Translate but it appears that the rumor in this thread is based on a rumor on a Japanese forum about a rumor of releases prior to Photokina last year on RH's blog which was based on, apparently thin air. That rumor projects 9 announcements from Pentax at Photokina, the only one of which is even remotely close to reality is the DA 560mm.

Now back to important things. I know we have carp (Koi) as ornamentals here in the states and I assume all around the world. Are these the same as what you folks in Europe and the UK fish for? Or are the ones you chase about plain in color?
03-17-2013, 11:27 PM   #206
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I never told you that you should find something attractive at all.. ..but please give me the response you think I deserve. There's not much point replying otherwise is there?

PM it to me if you wish.
Actually you did. You were implicit in suggesting that if I 'learned something of design or aesthetics' then I wouldn't find the K-01 ugly

Are you going to explain why you are patronising, condescending and superior?

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
It's actually quite a refreshing design, not ugly in the least. If you think it is then perhaps you should learn something of design or aesthetics.
03-17-2013, 11:29 PM   #207
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
I really like the K-01, and it is very capable of making great photos. Now the Sony a99 is one ugly camera!
Careful, you'll have some 'insecure' standing on a pedestal waving a design textbook down at you.
03-18-2013, 12:15 AM   #208
Veteran Member

Actually you did. You were implicit in suggesting that if I 'learned something of design or aesthetics' then I wouldn't find the K-01 ugly

Are you going to explain why you are patronising, condescending and superior?

I don't feel that I'm being patronizing in the least. I *suggested* that "perhaps" you might learn something from studying some design.

Having studied for four years at Art School I can appreciate how hard it is to break down personal pre-conceived notions of what one feels is 'good'. Most people have an opinion about what they feel is good but generally give "I know what I like" as the reason for that opinion - this is not a reason but a conditioned response. What we *like* is a product of many types of input and choices we make throughout our lives.

Understanding form is harder than you might think; the simplest way to explore this is to teach drawing and see how people break down forms for reconstruction on paper. Even the simplest of forms may elude many when trying to 'see' (understand) it and transfer it to 2D paper.

To think that your sensibility is highly evolved and beyond refinement is a mistake in my view. It wasn't my intention to upset you but I clearly have. Hopefully that emotion can be put to good use.
03-18-2013, 12:35 AM   #209

I have to agrre with the people rejecting the K-01 design. It is as square and uninspirational as a can of SPAM. What artist often cal minimalist design, i just call beeing lazy. Like thoose who exhibit an empty room, and then charge you to see it............
03-18-2013, 12:54 AM - 2 Likes   #210
Veteran Member

Thankyou for explaining why you are patronising, condescending and superior.
No problem..
Closed Thread