Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #271
ogl
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Have you checked the "website", actually a freebie page, to which Mike Svitek references himself on Twitter? It's svitekphotos's Instacanv.as Gallery - I mean, it doesn't suggest an obvious candidacy for testing a high-end FF prototype under an NDA (soon broken).

On the other hand there is a Milan Svitek - not Mike - who is also a photographer with a site here: The 35mm Studio: Photography by Milan Svitek. Same person or different people.

And there is more than one Mike Svitek about anyway, just Google. My surefire version of Mike Svitek for trusted Pentax high-end beta-tester has a Facebook page with the following self-portrait:

Happy hunting!
Milan is native name, Mike for Canada.

03-23-2013, 08:19 AM   #272

Wrong Nikon D7100 undercover....
03-23-2013, 08:37 AM   #273
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ron Boggs Quote
Excellent! I've been waiting for that new APS-C camera for a year now...
I just hope Pentax will be designing the same rugged body as the K7,5/II/s, models.
03-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #274
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Milan is native name, Mike for Canada.
Sure, but each one references a different set of sites, etc. So, one person or two different people, bearing in mind that there is more than one Mike Svitek around anyway? It's hard enough believing anything on Twitter and doubly so when you can't really establish whether the OP even exists.

Last edited by mecrox; 03-23-2013 at 08:55 AM.
03-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #275
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by ytango Quote
When the actual announcement comes out later this year (and it won't be a FF announcement, or even a pentax announcement for that matter; think very very opposite...) pretty much everyone on this forum is going to feel gut punched. I'm hoping to pick up some cheap pentax stuff in the ensuing mass firesale. But then again that's just me; I still like to buy and use bronica and contax stuff. Let's just say some Ricoh folks in Japan can't hold their liquor.
Oh come now. Don't be coy. What news, pray tell, didst the whisky let slip past the gums?

Now, what news on the Rialto?

I would she were as lying a gossip in that as ever
knapped ginger or made her neighbours believe she
wept for the death of a third husband. But it is
true, without any slips of prolixity or crossing the
plain highway of talk, that the good Antonio, the
honest Antonio,--O that I had a title good enough
to keep his name company!--

(5 posts. January 2011)

Last edited by monochrome; 03-23-2013 at 10:50 AM.
03-23-2013, 09:09 AM   #276
Pentaxian

Let's just say some Ricoh folks in Japan can't hold their liquor.
Have one and another. And a third and fourth one yourself. And tell us something.

If there's anything behind this rumor/hint of yours, it's gotta be dropping the K mount.
03-23-2013, 09:23 AM   #277
Pentaxian

Highly entertaining the road this thread has taken. Perfect for alternative scenario development.

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
f there's anything behind this rumor/hint of yours, it's gotta be dropping the K mount.
Well, Ricoh dropping the K-mount for say Nikon's mount would solve a lot of problems with entering the FF market--from R&D and manufacturing costs to range of instantly available lenses. It would also help explain the sales incentives on the FA lenses this month. They are discontinued stock in a couple of weeks. Didn't Fuji go this path a few years ago? Not all that unthinkable, especially since as a new owner Ricoh isn't beholden to much of anything. It's not like they purchased something that has a lot of relative value.

M
03-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #278
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Well, Ricoh dropping the K-mount for say Nikon's mount would solve a lot of problems with entering the FF market--from R&D and manufacturing costs to range of instantly available lenses. It would also help explain the sales incentives on the FA lenses this month. They are discontinued stock in a couple of weeks. Didn't Fuji go this path a few years ago? Not all that unthinkable, especially since as a new owner Ricoh isn't beholden to much of anything. It's not like they purchased something that has a lot of relative value.

M
If I remember correctly, the last interview with Pentax Japan's management that was published, Pentax indicated that one of the positives was the backward commonality with the K mount lenses. Also, Nikon has a longer registration distance than Pentax, so it would certainly not decrease the body thickness. I guess that they could introduce an adapter to provide legacy support for the K lenses, however - there really is not an adapter (without optics) to support the current Nikon glass on the K bodies.

The other aspect here is that one of the reasons Ricoh acquired Pentax was for their lenses and lens library, since Asahi was originally an optical house. This would essentially be abandoning this.

I guess things could change......

03-23-2013, 09:54 AM   #279
Pentaxian

Let's just say some Ricoh folks in Japan can't hold their liquor.
Drunk people don't keep secrets very well, but they don't tell the truth very well either.
03-23-2013, 10:07 AM   #280
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I guess things could change......
They seemingly have to, because Pentax as we know (knew?) it is not sustainable. It has very little economic value, and for a business this tends to matter. Right now, everyone's shooting with their father's (or grandfather's) Pentax, and that backwards compatibility is a burden market-wise. Ricoh makes zero dollars on Pentax Marketplace sales. It's fun for us, but we aren't many, certainly not enough. The risk of Ricoh alienating all their customers (and that risk is about $125 million), may be outweighed by the opportunity of attracting new ones, starting with Nikon users (for example). Of course this has new risks. . .

Of course, my assumption here is Ricoh is treating Pentax like a business, though I think Pentax is operating more like a hobby.

M
03-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #281

If that rumor about 24Mpix FF K3 body is true, then we should forget about 2000 bucks for body. Looks more like a 3500 bucks body in US market (and >4000 body for Europe).
03-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #282
Lens Buying Addict

Highly entertaining the road this thread has taken. Perfect for alternative scenario development. Well, Ricoh dropping the K-mount for say Nikon's mount would solve a lot of problems with entering the FF market--from R&D and manufacturing costs to range of instantly available lenses. It would also help explain the sales incentives on the FA lenses this month. They are discontinued stock in a couple of weeks. Didn't Fuji go this path a few years ago? Not all that unthinkable, especially since as a new owner Ricoh isn't beholden to much of anything. It's not like they purchased something that has a lot of relative value.

M
  1. IIRC Ricoh historically used the K mount, so they'd be dropping thier own legacy mount.
  2. Why on earth would Nikon license their mount to a subsidiary of the 267th largest company in the world?
03-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #283
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kavolis Quote
If that rumor about 24Mpix FF K3 body is true, then we should forget about 2000 bucks for body. Looks more like a 3500 bucks body in US market (and >4000 body for Europe).
Why you think it would be a ridiculous price like that? D600 less than $2000
03-23-2013, 10:41 AM   #284
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
If there's anything behind this rumor/hint of yours, it's gotta be dropping the K mount.
Ricoh dropping the K-mount for say Nikon's mount would solve a lot of problems with entering the FF market--from R&D and manufacturing costs to range of instantly available lenses.
They seemingly have to, because Pentax as we know (knew?) it is not sustainable.
Absurd line of thought. Ricoh bought Pentax for its assets. If you subtract the K-mount bodies and lenses, all that's left is the Q and 645D.

Time to give up on this thread, it's slipped into the usual nonsense. Buh-bye!
03-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #285
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Absurd line of thought. Ricoh bought Pentax for its assets. If you subtract the K-mount bodies and lenses, all that's left is the Q and 645D.

Time to give up on this thread, it's slipped into the usual nonsense. Buh-bye!
Agreed ... au revoir ...
Closed Thread