Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #286
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Absurd line of thought. Ricoh bought Pentax for its assets. If you subtract the K-mount bodies and lenses, all that's left is the Q and 645D.

Time to give up on this thread, it's slipped into the usual nonsense. Buh-bye!
I don't think they would be stupid enough to give up the k-mount.. but I wouldn't mind something like the k-mount+
https://www.pentaxforums.com/news/pentax-k-plus-multi-mount.html

03-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #287
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
They seemingly have to, because Pentax as we know (knew?) it is not sustainable. It has very little economic value, and for a business this tends to matter. Right now, everyone's shooting with their father's (or grandfather's) Pentax, and that backwards compatibility is a burden market-wise. Ricoh makes zero dollars on Pentax Marketplace sales. It's fun for us, but we aren't many, certainly not enough. The risk of Ricoh alienating all their customers (and that risk is about $125 million), may be outweighed by the opportunity of attracting new ones, starting with Nikon users (for example). Of course this has new risks. . .

Of course, my assumption here is Ricoh is treating Pentax like a business, though I think Pentax is operating more like a hobby.

M
So if they might be thinking in that direction, adopting the Nikon mount, then they should also license the Nikon Auto Focusing design, and then throw in the Nikon flash design to boot. Make it a package deal.

03-23-2013, 10:51 AM   #288
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ricoh bought Pentax for its assets. If you subtract the K-mount bodies and lenses, all that's left is the Q and 645D.
The most significant asset in my opinion was the goodwill value of the brand name, followed, perhaps by manufacturing capability, and then the telescope/sports optics line maybe. $125 million ain't much these days. What do you think the value of the whole K-mount business is?

M
03-23-2013, 11:00 AM   #289
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Why on earth would Nikon license their mount to a subsidiary of the 267th largest company in the world?
For similar reasons that Apple finally licensed Microsoft Exchange. It was "more" standard, and made their products more compatible and a safer bet to a hell of a lot more purchasers. Ricoh can leverage the goodwill of the Pentax brand name, while not having to fight lens and performance perception battles in the FF format market. Also saves them a lot of R&D and retooling costs; plus they can focus their lens product development on gaps left by Nikon--similar to how third parties operate today. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if Tokina will actually make most of the Pentax-branded new lenses.

M

03-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #290
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
they should also license the Nikon Auto Focusing design, and then throw in the Nikon flash design to boot
I'd take it, wouldn't you?
I don't think Nikon would give away those jewels, though for the right amount of royalties, anything is possible. I'm hoping.

M
03-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #291
Loyal Site Supporter

If Pentax is such a fly speck Nikon should rather just swat it than license anything to it. Pentax cost "only" $125MM because Ricoh and Hoya knew it will cost another $250MM+ to recapture the lost market share to become a strong third.

Otherwise, why rename Ricoh Cameras Pentax Ricoh Imaging? Why move the Ricoh engineers under the Pentax management structure?

Why waste $125MM at all? Even to the 267th largest company in the world that's not pin money.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-23-2013 at 11:19 AM.
03-23-2013, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #292
Site Supporter

If Pentax is such a fly speck Nikon should rather just swat it than license anything to it. Pentax cost "only" $125MM because Ricoh and Hoya knew it will cost another $250MM+ to recapture the lost market share to become a strong third.

Otherwise, why rename Ricoh Cameras Pentax Ricoh Imaging? Why move the Ricoh engineers under the Pentax management structure?

Why waste $125MM at all? Even to the 267th largest company in the world that's not pin money.
I still think we should have taken up a collection here at PF and bought it!
03-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #293
Pentaxian

If Pentax is such a fly speck Nikon should rather just swat it than license anything to it.
I'm sure that they and all the other major players had the opportunity to pick off anything of value during Hoya's fire sale. But no one did.
By licensing their mount to Ricoh, Nikon can make money instead of spending money.

Otherwise, why waste $125MM
I don't know why one would perceive the purchase of Pentax as a waste? If their resuscitation plans succeed then it's a bargain. Maybe they fulfilled the whim of a Ricoh founder or executive (that's the Pentax-as-a-hobby behavior I keep seeing). Worse case outcome is that they say screw it and license off the brand name to makers of related gadgets like what happened to Vivitar.

To me Pentax as we know it is a failed business. This doesn't not mean that the cameras and lenses aren't excellent, just that the business model has failed for all the reasons outlined on this forum over the past years. Making and selling cameras is a very tough business. Look at Olympus (beyond their accounting scandal even). For Pentax something has to change substantially.

M

03-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #294
Veteran Member

Time to give up on this thread, it's slipped into the usual nonsense. Buh-bye!
Exacktly! This is all bonkers...
03-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #295
Veteran Member

I tried to keep this thread alive with on topic information about the upcoming FF model, but soon all sorts of stuff crept in. This is the news & rumors section, not the local bar where drunk anglers are discussing the size of their latest catch!

Last edited by Blue; 03-23-2013 at 12:26 PM.
03-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #296
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dbaird Quote
I have a Ph.D. in Industrial Design. I know what you are trying to say. However, I still find the K01 quite a bit less than stellar design. I personally find it to look like a yellow brick.
Have you actually used one as well as other mirrorless interchangeable lens systems to compare it to?
03-23-2013, 01:57 PM   #297
Site Supporter

This thread has run its course.
Closed Thread