Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I wonder if they just want to wash their hands of all hoya-ness and start fresh with Ricoh type cameras.
If they are releasing a suit of cameras like this, thats clearly what they were doing. Buy Pentax, surf on the stuff in Hoya's pipeline and put everybody to work to develop a fresh set of cameras. I'm looking forward to the announcements, but I just got my K5 this fall, it'll be a year or two before I make another jump. I'm struggling with how far into DA lenses I should go, it'll be nice to see what direction Ricoh will take this.

03-13-2013, 01:53 PM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Something like that hybrid EVF/OVF that they patented would be an excellent way to do that - Nikon went a little way there with the 7100. You're right they need something.

A useful photographic feature.
The line-up I see for this year is:
1. K-3 and K-3s that will be a pro-level dslr with 24 MP aps-c sensor, more than 11 AF points, maybe with hydbrid (optical/digital) viewfinder, wifi, built-in gps and a very powerful processor and large buffer. (price just above $1,500)
2. K-5ii and K-5iis continues as the advance enthusiast camera. (price just above $1,000)
3. K-30ii with 20MP sensor nd maybe the AF from the K-5ii for the basic enthusiast camera (Price around $750)
4. K-300 with the 16MP sensor and more basic stuff maybe even an EVF instead of optical if it brings the price down for an entry-level camera. (price just below $500)

Then next year two FF cameras based on the K5 (entry level FF) and the other based on the K3 (advance FF).

For the K-3 to replace the K-5 this soon as the flagship model it should have a few more high-tech stuff. I will think giving the interview at CP+ were Pentax stated that they will be coming out with a industry leading AF system that an new AF is a given. Hopefuly the new version of the Sony 24MP sensor is an improvement over the 16MP sensor. Still is a new AF system and a new sensor enough. I guess we will find out in a few weeks.

So hopefully it will be some exciting times head. Then again April 1st is coming around again. :-)

Dave
03-13-2013, 01:55 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gareth.Ig Quote
I'm struggling with how far into DA lenses I should go, it'll be nice to see what direction Ricoh will take this.
If this K-3 is an APS-C, which is what all signs point to, and if you trust the only firm statement PRIC has made since its inception, that they are firmly committed to APS-C, then I would not hesitate in investing in all the DA glass your heart desires.
03-13-2013, 02:00 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
But, it still makes a lot of sense. It is what I have been thinking all the way a long. April is too soon for anything else...
It's funny, but the "five dSLRs" rumor kind of matches half of Rice High's pre-Photokina list of things to expect - the half involving cameras that didn't happen, prompting him to go into "Pentax is doomed" mode for a couple weeks (more than usual, that is). IIRC, he had a FF, a 24MP APS-C K-5 replacement, an entry level dSLR, and a K-01 replacement.

I expect that the K-3 will be another incremental improvement, which will please some and disappoint others (because it won't be a quantum leap). Is it too soon/too late for me to say that the K-3 is missing the essential features X, Y, and Z that I must have and Pentax is dooooooooooooomed?

03-13-2013, 02:01 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
But, how many K5 users bought a K5II, or a K30? I did get a K-01, but it didn't feel like a K5 replacement, more like an add on camera to go anywhere, for a rock-bottom price. I really feel like a K3 is the upgrade for all of those who have been using their K5s for the last 2 plus years and didn't feel like the K5 II was a big enough step up to see jumping from the K5.

I totally agree. I have two K-5 classic and I did like the improve low-light AF but just not enough to even consider upgrading. When the K-01 came out I decided to get the Olympus E-M5 for my small mirrorless camera system. The K-01 just never interest me.

Dave
03-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
If this K-3 is an APS-C, which is what all signs point to, and if you trust the only firm statement PRIC has made since its inception, that they are firmly committed to APS-C, then I would not hesitate in investing in all the DA glass your heart desires.
Obviously, they won't give up on APS-C even if they will enter the FF market - given the relative sizes. If one would have no plan to go to FF, why not buying APS-C lenses where there are no FF alternatives?
03-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #52

I posted the italicized comments on February 19, and stand by it. I would be flabbergasted if Pentax did anything shocking: they always seem to be one step behind.

One thing that is never talked about is this: a feature that would allow you to use the K and M series lenses in anything other than M mode. In particular, one should be able to manually, but quickly specify an aperture from a quick menu that would enable you to shoot in, e.g., Program Auto, and get the aperture to stop down when shooting. As it stands, shooting with M lenses is barely worthwhile since it is practically impossible to be spontaneous in most lighting conditions. My M42 glass, on the other hand, is a joy to use in PA mode because exposure is accurate when stopped down (albeit the viewfinder gets dimmer, but so what). Anyway, the solution would be purely software-based and I wish Pentax would pursue this in the K3 or future models.

____

The K3 / K3s will:

- feature the 24 mp sensor (Sony?) found in the D5200;
- have AA filter removed in "s" version (that's obvious)
- have more focus points, finally, and god-willing
- have some modest, incremental improvements to the AF system
- have a couple of other little neat things, like when the level was introduced (into the K7); and probably focus peaking like on the K-01

In short, Pentax will release a very safe, modest upgrade to the K5 line in line with what we've seen so far. It will certainly be APS-C. I highly doubt we see FF in 2013.

03-13-2013, 02:09 PM   #53
Veteran Member

I am hoping that the rumoured K-3, if it is aps-c, will have a viewfinder the equivalent size of sat the Canon 5D MKII. I just want to manual focus lenses without using the lcd for focus peaking.
03-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WideOpen Quote
I posted the italicized comments on February 19, and stand by it. I would be flabbergasted if Pentax did anything shocking: they always seem to be one step behind.
One step behind for some features, but one step to the side for others (I think I remember a review of the *istDS criticizing its use of SD cards, because everyone knew "real" dSLRs used Compact Flash.)

One thing that is never talked about is this: a feature that would allow you to use the K and M series lenses in anything other than M mode. In particular, one should be able to manually, but quickly specify an aperture from a quick menu that would enable you to shoot in, e.g., Program Auto, and get the aperture to stop down when shooting. As it stands, shooting with M lenses is barely worthwhile since it is practically impossible to be spontaneous in most lighting conditions. My M42 glass, on the other hand, is a joy to use in PA mode because exposure is accurate when stopped down (albeit the viewfinder gets dimmer, but so what). Anyway, the solution would be purely software-based and I wish Pentax would pursue this in the K3 or future models.
Obviously, enhancing support for legacy glass in the camera would be preferable, but have you tried putting a slip of tape on the mount of the lens? I've done that to some M lenses for use on my K-01, so that they behave like M42s.
03-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #55
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

Well, they could also add Multizone for M42/M/K lenses. Nikon could do it in the F6, Pentax can do that too.
And BTW, Pentax can uncripple the mount on K5 and up cameras. They need to make statements indeed.
03-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #56
Veteran Member

I know a lot of people are clamouring for articulating screen on the K3. I know I would prefer to have a fixed screen. But one thing I would really enjoy having is GPS or Wifi built in (or both). Especially GPS. I've grown fond of the geotagging feature of my wifes Nikon AW100.
03-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #57

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
have you tried putting a slip of tape on the mount of the lens? I've done that to some M lenses for use on my K-01, so that they behave like M42s.
Please explain!!!
03-13-2013, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #58
Veteran Member

I still don't understand how people here are saying APS-C is doomed when talking about the FF rumors.

I'm pretty sure the majority of Canon and Nikon DSLR body sales are shared by their APS-C bodies. The FF bodies are very desirable, yes, but they absolutely do not make the APS-C cameras obsolete.

It's going to be the same with Pentax. It would be INCREDIBLY stupid of them to drop production of all APS-C related products and focus completely on full frame.

In the future, sure. Maybe full frame will start taking over and APS-C will slowly (very, very slowly) start to become obsolete. But that will happen only when FF equipment becomes both affordable and relatively compact. This isn't the case for FF bodies as of now (except for Sony's mirrorless, but that isn't a DSLR, and it costs as much as a brand new Nikon D800). For now, APS-C certainly has its place and won't be getting "dumped" any time soon.

Last edited by NitroDC; 03-13-2013 at 02:37 PM.
03-13-2013, 02:28 PM - 1 Like   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Please explain!!!
See here:

Making an M lens automatic, sort of. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

(I was mostly interested in taking advantage of the K-01's M+AutoISO mode, but it should work for any K/M lens that you want to behave like an M42.)
03-13-2013, 02:33 PM   #60

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
See here:

Making an M lens automatic, sort of. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

(I was mostly interested in taking advantage of the K-01's M+AutoISO mode, but it should work for any K/M lens that you want to behave like an M42.)
Thank you!!!
Closed Thread