Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One matchup is history, the other is fiction, not much to be talking about here. I'd be amazed if Canon came out with a product in DxO's top 10, they haven't had one for quite a while, but suddenly they're going to overcome that in one fell swoop. The D7100 I know nothing about, but unless there's been a miraculous improvement in Nikon's processing engines, they aren't going to do with any sensor what Pentax does.

Last edited by normhead; 03-14-2013 at 02:52 PM.
03-14-2013, 03:00 PM   #122
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
If they want to lay claim to "best", then they have to have good AF, unless they are so much more better at everything else.
Unless they qualify "best" by excluding specific uses (such as sports/action). I've said this before, but again --- if they're not going to make a sports action tool, FINE!! They need to just tell us what they are making and let us decide whether it is right for our needs.

Then maybe the high frame rate and fast AF.c users will stop moaning and just look elsewhere.
03-14-2013, 03:20 PM - 2 Likes   #123
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
That's the case for the k-5. Not the k-3. Not yet - and it's a much stronger field now, with the D7100 and the potential 7D2.
True, but it's easy to get distracted by DxO and the test suites. In practice you'd have to try very hard now to produce a bad camera which produced bad images or prints using a modern APS-C sensor. All you can probably do is tweak it in one direction or another - towards sports/action, or video, or an all-rounder, or lots of high-tech gizmos on board, etc. I'd imagine Pentax will produce an all-rounder with the stress on what they always stress: top image quality above all, that Pentax rendering of colour and contrast, and high-quality ergonomics and robust build quality. If they do that then they'll have produced a Pentax. Canon will do what they do and produce a Canon, etc.
03-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #124
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
If the DR and the noise will be "pretty much the same" as the K-5, why would the K-3 be any more compelling an upgrade than the K-5ii? PopPhoto test the NEX 7, and found it yielded 2740 lines per picture height; the K-5 scored 2590 lines per picture height. That's a 5.7% difference. It's unlikely that at large print sizes anyone could tell the difference between images shot with the K-5 and a 24 MP K-3. But processing times might well be noticed, to the detriment of the K-3. 50% bigger file sizes for 5% increase in resolution is a downgrade, not an upgrade.
24 Mpix allows to be more confident vs moiré or false colors on the "s" version; if you combine the gain in resolution of the missing AA filter + the extra pixels count + the gain in noise reduction allowed because the algorithm operates on more pixels, the result should be more noticeable than the 5,7 %.
For the processing time, the K5 is 3 years old now, how processor speed has progressed in 3 years ? According to moore law, a ratio of 2 every 18 month, so 4 times faster (I speak on the K5 embedded processor). Will handle the extra pixels without effort.

03-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #125
Site Supporter

I'm gonna sit on the wall and wait and see. K-3 must better the K-5 in low light iso and with DR for me to be anyway interested. Chasing megapixels is all well and good but processing speed must also be upgraded to suit, i.e. bigger buffer, capability of utilising the full speed of SDHX cards. And hopefully the sensor will be less susceptible to weaker edges than the current 16MP version, especially with the FA43 & FA77. The Samsung in the K20D and K-7 coped, why can't the Sony.

On the Whiskey question, I once did a survey in the Europa Hotel in Belfast , Bushmills 16yo Malt is the finest you can get, simple, Jameson 16 is nice as well if you prefer a watered down version. For you lads talking about the Scottish malts, be careful with the spelling , Whisky for Scottish, Whiskey for Irish. Personally I find Scottish a bit too earthy for my liking.
03-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #126
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The D7100 I know nothing about, but unless there's been a miraculous improvement in Nikon's processing engines, they aren't going to do with any sensor what Pentax does.
There already has been, the EXPEED 3 processing engine, the same processing engine used in the D4 and the D800, it's now deployed in the D7100. Let's hope that Pentax can actually compete with it, not only with the superior processing engine that Nikon has developed but also the incredible AF system. I am contemplating picking up a K5IIs as a backup body but may wait a little and see what Pentax has up their sleeves.
03-14-2013, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #127
Loyal Site Supporter

I may be wrong, but is this the same sipping juice you folk are discussin'?

Last edited by lukulele; 03-19-2014 at 04:42 PM.
03-14-2013, 05:07 PM   #128
Veteran Member

"Full Line of Carp Supplies" - people actually fish for those trash fish?

03-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #129
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Scotch is for me and a drinking buddy but devoted we are not lol

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2
I had some scotch in San Francisco a few years back from a Scot that made me feel as though a alien was about to burst out of my chest. Horrid stuff.
03-14-2013, 05:27 PM   #130
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Macallan Islay is in my cupboard right now... with only 1/3 of it left... so tasty.

I'm really enjoying my Bowmore 12 right now, but I also have: Octomore Pinot 9 year limited, Auchentoshan Three Wood, Glenfiddich Cask of Dreams, and Jonnie Walker Black in the cupboard. The Cask of Dreams was a Christmas gift, its freakin tasty too, so smooth. I usually dislike everything I've tried from Glenfiddich, but this ones great.

Do you like it peaty? Have you tried Lagavulin 16 Year? I'm lucky, I got this lil place called the "Bothy" by my place (within wakling distance)... check their menu Whisky | The Bothy
Macallan is no an Islay - it's a Speyside Whisky. The Bowmore, that's an Islay Whisky. Islay is home to eight Single Malt Whisky distilleries; all with a distinctive peaty character. I enjoy a nice Islay whisky myself - some more than others
03-14-2013, 05:32 PM   #131
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Bowmore is entry-level (K-300?) Islay. Lagavulin (K-30) and Laphroaig (K-5II) are leagues ahead. If the K-3 lives up to Laphroaig's Quarter Cask then I'm up for it.
The Speysides and Highland malts can go to the Canikon shooters....
Opinions, everyone has at least one. There is no more satisfying Malt than Longmorn 15, unless it is the 1964 Bowmore.
03-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #132
Forum Member

The K3 description says "full frame". So if the K5iis is a Laphroaig, the K3 could be... a bigger bottle of Laphroaig?
03-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #133
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
And hopefully the sensor will be less susceptible to weaker edges than the current 16MP version, especially with the FA43 & FA77. The Samsung in the K20D and K-7 coped, why can't the Sony.
You're saying the Samsung sensor has better edges than the Sony 16mp? I hadn't heard that before. Are there any tests you could point to?

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Bushmills 16yo Malt is the finest you can get, simple, Jameson 16 is nice as well if you prefer a watered down version.
I haven't had the 16YO's of either of the above, just the 12YO's. My choice for Irish whiskies I've had so far is Redbreast.
03-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
The K-3 will be Pentax's newest flagship prosumer camera weighing-in at 24mp.
It is slated to replace the latest generation K-5 units and reestablish Pentax's reputation as the best APS-C camera on the market.

There is also be a new 645D II and other lower entry level DSLR's aimed at replacing the K-30 etc.

SOURCE: http://bbs.kakaku.com/bbs/K0000416049/SortID=15794099/
and
SOURCE: http://bbs.kakaku.com/bbs/-/SortID=15883682/

And so, it looks like the new lineup that is rumored to consist of 5 DSLR's is looking something along the lines of: K3, K3s, 645D II, K30 replacement thus far.

Source please or it's just more hot air contaminating this forum. ( Japanese forums speculating is not a source )
03-14-2013, 08:22 PM   #135
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Shure... Which rhum do you mean...
Any of the aged Appletons, Gosling's Black Seal, Brugal Extra Viejo
Closed Thread