Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2013, 05:09 AM   #91
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
...failed to see a precipitous kerb
Agreed, it's the precipitous ones to watch out for. Ordinary kerbs are generally law abiding and don't look to cause trouble

N.B. I'm unable to participate in this drinking conversation as I'm trying to have an end of summer dry-out and go sans alcohol for a week or two

03-14-2013, 05:36 AM   #92
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
I totally agree. I have two K-5 classic and I did like the improve low-light AF but just not enough to even consider upgrading. When the K-01 came out I decided to get the Olympus E-M5 for my small mirrorless camera system. The K-01 just never interest me.

Dave
Honestly, I had bought every flagship dSLR from Pentax from the K100 to the K5, but I skipped the K5 II/IIs. I just couldn't see enough improvement over anything to warrant dumping my K5s for a camera that can focus a little better in the dark. I felt like the K5 II was basically cobbled together so that Pentax would have something to show at Photokina, but with the understanding that there would be a higher end APS-C camera coming later.

I probably will buy the K3 if it has same dynamic range as K5, slight improvement in high iso, and significant improvement in autofocus. Still hoping for a full frame announcement in December, with a release in the first Quarter of 2014...
03-14-2013, 07:23 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I probably will buy the K3 if it has same dynamic range as K5, slight improvement in high iso, and significant improvement in autofocus.
The sensor in the K-3 rumour is the same one used in the A77 and NEX7. DR and noise will be pretty much the same as the 16mp bodies. Check DXOMark comparisons of A77 and NEX7, they are very close. (The NEX5-N uses the same sensor as the K-5 bodies).
DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side

PS Aberlour and Bruichladdich for me.
03-14-2013, 07:29 AM   #94

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The sensor in the K-3 rumour is the same one used in the A77 and NEX7. DR and noise will be pretty much the same as the 16mp bodies. Check DXOMark comparisons of A77 and NEX7, they are very close. (The NEX5-N uses the same sensor as the K-5 bodies).

Do you think the upcoming K-3(24mp) sensor will be the same as used in the new Nikon D7100?

03-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #95
Veteran Member

Highland Park - a soft smoke and peat flavour with just enough bite to remind you its an honest dram. Consistently ranked as one of the best whiskeys produced in Scotland and yet a 12yr bottle remains reasonably affordable.

While I remain excited to see the new cameras and get a sense of where Ricoh is taking Pentax, I don't expect to purchase a new camera regardless of what they have in store.

QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
N.B. I'm unable to participate in this drinking conversation as I'm trying to have an end of summer dry-out and go sans alcohol for a week or two
Not that I am trying to encourage excessive drinking, but my goodness what a horrible idea!
03-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #96
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote

My understanding is that Sony is going to have a new version coming out soon that is going to be going in the NEX7 replacement. Most likely the K-3 will get the new version.

Dave
03-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Honestly, I had bought every flagship dSLR from Pentax from the K100 to the K5, but I skipped the K5 II/IIs. I just couldn't see enough improvement over anything to warrant dumping my K5s for a camera that can focus a little better in the dark. I felt like the K5 II was basically cobbled together so that Pentax would have something to show at Photokina, but with the understanding that there would be a higher end APS-C camera coming later.

I probably will buy the K3 if it has same dynamic range as K5, slight improvement in high iso, and significant improvement in autofocus. Still hoping for a full frame announcement in December, with a release in the first Quarter of 2014...
Same with me. I have had the following: *stDS, K10, K20, K7 and now a K5. I haven't seen a need to upgrade to the K5ii. I will most likely get the K3.

Dave

03-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
So many Malts. So little time. Haven't yet sipped an Islay
I managed, with friends, to get through a gift bottle of Laphroaig. Not to my pedestrian taste, I fear. For me, Speyburn when I must be, ermmm, frugal. Otherwise Balvenie Doublewood 12. I keep both in the house and use the choice to exercise self-control.
03-14-2013, 08:37 AM   #99
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's sacrilige... but the Amarut Fusion is very tasty
03-14-2013, 08:40 AM   #100
Veteran Member

Lagavulin 16 is my favorite so far, with Glenmorangie Port Wood and Auchentoshan not far behind. A friend of mine, however, tells me Ardbeg Uigeadail is the ultimate peaty goodness.

(I usually try to stay on topic, but I couldn't resist this one
03-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eh hem...Talisker 18, though I agree with Gareth on Highland Park as well.

Come on K-3 news.
03-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #102
Veteran Member

I was trying to ignore all these posts that are making me so thirsty, but I'm failing at that. Laphroaig is my favorite brand. I used to work for Allied Distillers in Holland; I blame them for teaching me how to drink the stuff. It goes so well together with a nice dark Brazillian cigar.

Same with me. I have had the following: *stDS, K10, K20, K7 and now a K5. I haven't seen a need to upgrade to the K5ii. I will most likely get the K3.

Dave
I had exactly the same opinion untill I looked closely at the pictures that result from the K5IIs. There's a nice thread here on PF. The sharpness increase really is amazing.
03-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #103
Veteran Member

I'm normally refraining as much as possible from entering the discussions in speculative threads like this one. However it had come to an interesting deviation, esp since it's relevant to my personal planning for April!

Regardless of any rumors there is one thing certain for April. I will be visiting the Speyside to do some serious tasting (VIP visits to Aberlour, Balvenie and Macallan are planned) and my K-5 will join me on the trip to capture those memorable moments, accompanied by 4 of the limiteds (DA15, DA21, FA43 and FA77).

Another thing planned for April is my purchasing a bottle of Port Charlotte, more specifically their new Peat Project expression. I tasted it on a tasting recently and fell in love. I must admit though that I am an unconditional fan of what master distiller Jim McEwan is doing at Bruichladdich (where Port Charlotte is distilled). Meeting the man personally on Islay was an experience I'll never forget. I already loved his Port Charlotte An Turas Mor, and regret it won't be made anymore. I do find its replacement (Peat Project) even better, but it's sufficiently different to justify a bottle of each in my drink cabinet! I might even get me an extra bottle of An Turas Mor even though the bottle I have still has 1/3 left in it.

I may not be a Pentax fanboy (though I have been called one), but you can call me a Bruichladdich fanboy without hesitation!

Wim

PS: if the K-3 turns out to be true and if it is built around a APS-C sensor, I do hope it won't deviate too much from the K-7 body that the K-5 and K-5II retained. Not just to allow my grip and focusing screen to fit, also because I feel these cameras had the best form factor among all Pentax's DSLRs to date. Please not bigger!!! I need to be able to take it along hiking...
03-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by anjuna Quote
Do you think the upcoming K-3(24mp) sensor will be the same as used in the new Nikon D7100?
I don't know which sensor they've used in the Nikon. There are rumours it is a Toshiba, which is similar to the Sony, but not the same.
03-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #105
Veteran Member

My understanding is that Sony is going to have a new version coming out soon that is going to be going in the NEX7 replacement. Most likely the K-3 will get the new version.

Dave
I hope you're right Dave, but I'm not convinced. Pentax bodies have always been several months behind the comparable Sony. The rumour that I've heard repeatedly is the Sony IMX096AQL 24.3 Mp, 3.9 μm Pixel Pitch APS-C CMOS Image Sensor from the Sony α77 (SLT-A77).

Of course everything is rumour at this point, and besides, Pentax has been able to tweak Sony sensors successfully in the past.
Closed Thread