Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 44 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2013, 01:17 AM - 1 Like   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Count me among the Bruichladdich fanboys, 3D Moine Mhor ("Big Peat) being my favorite and Port Charlotte An Turas Mor a close second.

I understand from this topic that the latter won't be produced anymore: so sad... Is it because of Rémy Cointreau taking over the distillery?
Not because of the take over I think. It's just Jim McEwan's constant drive to try new things. Bruichladdich is not that big and they already carry many expressions, so new ones have to replace old ones to keep things workable. In this case An Turas Mor has to make place for The Peat Project.

It's a bit like Pentax in a way. A singular mind to drive product innovations that are not fully in line with mainstream evolution, and just not big enough to keep a vast product portfolio alive.

Wim

03-15-2013, 02:16 AM   #137
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NitroDC Quote
I still don't understand how people here are saying APS-C is doomed when talking about the FF rumors.

I'm pretty sure the majority of Canon and Nikon DSLR body sales are shared by their APS-C bodies. The FF bodies are very desirable, yes, but they absolutely do not make the APS-C cameras obsolete.

It's going to be the same with Pentax. It would be INCREDIBLY stupid of them to drop production of all APS-C related products and focus completely on full frame.

In the future, sure. Maybe full frame will start taking over and APS-C will slowly (very, very slowly) start to become obsolete. But that will happen only when FF equipment becomes both affordable and relatively compact. This isn't the case for FF bodies as of now (except for Sony's mirrorless, but that isn't a DSLR, and it costs as much as a brand new Nikon D800). For now, APS-C certainly has its place and won't be getting "dumped" any time soon.
I don't see Full Frame ever repacing APS-C due to the size and weight differences. They are two different product streams and will remain so. I have two Nikon D800E's and what is the 1st camera I reach for these days? My Pentax K-01. Carrying a D800E w/grip and a 70-200 VRII around is almost 8 grand.. rather scary when you think about it. It wouldn't take much to get mugged with that but to carry two of them is even more sobering.
03-15-2013, 06:48 AM   #138
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Not because of the take over I think. It's just Jim McEwan's constant drive to try new things. Bruichladdich is not that big and they already carry many expressions, so new ones have to replace old ones to keep things workable. In this case An Turas Mor has to make place for The Peat Project.

It's a bit like Pentax in a way. A singular mind to drive product innovations that are not fully in line with mainstream evolution, and just not big enough to keep a vast product portfolio alive.

Wim
Thank you for your answer and this thought-provoking comparison.
03-15-2013, 07:43 AM   #139
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I don't see Full Frame ever repacing APS-C due to the size and weight differences. They are two different product streams and will remain so. I have two Nikon D800E's and what is the 1st camera I reach for these days? My Pentax K-01. Carrying a D800E w/grip and a 70-200 VRII around is almost 8 grand.. rather scary when you think about it. It wouldn't take much to get mugged with that but to carry two of them is even more sobering.
Interesting view but it begs the question of why you have two D800Es if you find the K-01 prefereable?

03-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #140
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
If only more people realized how pretty that camera is.
03-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #141
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
Interesting view but it begs the question of why you have two D800Es if you find the K-01 prefereable?
My thoughts exactly. Moreover, if you've got the resources for two D800's, then you've also got more then enough resources to get an insurance to cover the possible theft of those units. Heck, the cost of a K-01 can cover that insurance twice over.
03-15-2013, 08:51 AM   #142
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
"Full Line of Carp Supplies" - people actually fish for those trash fish?
That's relative. Carp fishing is a big thing in Europe.

03-15-2013, 09:01 AM   #143
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbulb Quote
True here in France ... There's usually an article(s) in the local newspaper announcing the beginning of the season ... and sometimes for unusually big catches, too.
03-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #144
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbulb Quote
We used to shoot them over here - use them for target practice with our side arms while out on the water.
03-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #145
Veteran Member

On the carp topic

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
We used to shoot them over here - use them for target practice with our side arms while out on the water.
Carp in breadcrumbs with potato salad is an official traditional Christmas meal in the Czech Republic. We have centuries old pond fishing tradition and before and on Christmas you will see huge water tanks with live carp on every corner of our streets. People either pick a fish and have it killed on spot or take it home (and don't laugh, this is for kids) keep it in a bath for one or two days and then kill it. We have a whole carp industry and will grant that when properly prepared, carp is actually much more tasty than many many common sea fish. For these reasons I have no sympathy for your shooting practice, sorry.
03-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #146
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I might be putting words in his mouth, but I don't think he means he prefers the K-01 to the D800E. It's just that for a walk around camera and quick snaps it's a lot easier to handle. I'm sure if he was doing a shoot somewhere he would rely on the D800s.

In the same vein, I'm really excited about the rumoured Nikon A competition from Pentax. It would be perfect for me.
03-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #147
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I will simply note that a minor transposition of letters will describe the broad American opinion of Carp as a sport fish and a food fish.

Just sayin'

Last edited by monochrome; 03-15-2013 at 10:37 AM.
03-15-2013, 09:59 AM   #148
Veteran Member

On kakaku.com, the poster is quoting what was rumoured in Nihon Camera.
Unless I've missed something, might need a bit more weight behind this rumour.
03-15-2013, 10:06 AM   #149
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I will simply note that a minor transposition of letters will describe the broad American opinion of Carp as a sport fish and a food fish.
I will simply note that the same minor transposition of letters will effectively translate the English name for the Cyprinus carpio into Romanian.
It's indeed a tasty fish, but only if it's wild (vs. culture). Too fat otherwise. Maybe you don't like it, but maybe it's not the proper (wild) Carp, properly prepared?
03-15-2013, 11:12 AM   #150
Veteran Member

The K01 is a funny one...

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
If only more people realized how pretty that camera is.
it doesn't photograph well...in person it does much better. Same with the Q; you don't realize just OW small it is till you hold one.

Cheers,
Cameron
Closed Thread