Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #151

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I will simply note that the same minor transposition of letters will effectively translate the English name for the Cyprinus carpio into Romanian.
It's indeed a tasty fish, but only if it's wild (vs. culture). Too fat otherwise. Maybe you don't like it, but maybe it's not the proper (wild) Carp, properly prepared?
Americans don't like bottom feeding anything for cultural reasons. Carp is delicious!

03-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #152
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
If only more people realized how pretty that camera is.
I think we're quite capable of seeing how ugly the K-01 is
03-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #153
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davidsladek Quote
Carp in breadcrumbs with potato salad is an official traditional Christmas meal in the Czech Republic. We have centuries old pond fishing tradition and before and on Christmas you will see huge water tanks with live carp on every corner of our streets. People either pick a fish and have it killed on spot or take it home (and don't laugh, this is for kids) keep it in a bath for one or two days and then kill it. We have a whole carp industry and will grant that when properly prepared, carp is actually much more tasty than many many common sea fish. For these reasons I have no sympathy for your shooting practice, sorry.

There are 60lb Carp in Lake Mead by Las Vegas.
03-15-2013, 02:44 PM   #154
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
If the DR and the noise will be "pretty much the same" as the K-5, why would the K-3 be any more compelling an upgrade than the K-5ii? PopPhoto test the NEX 7, and found it yielded 2740 lines per picture height; the K-5 scored 2590 lines per picture height. That's a 5.7% difference. It's unlikely that at large print sizes anyone could tell the difference between images shot with the K-5 and a 24 MP K-3. But processing times might well be noticed, to the detriment of the K-3. 50% bigger file sizes for 5% increase in resolution is a downgrade, not an upgrade.

Now if Pentax vastly improved the tracking AF, that would certainly qualify as a compelling upgrade, but in that case, the K-3 would be more of a professional sports camera, and those cameras have lower MP counts, not higher (think Nikon D4 and Canon 1dx).

Perhaps Sony's new 20 MP would make more sense. That sensor is rumored to have improved dynamic range and perhaps as much as a one stop improvement in high ISO performance. If we're going to have to put up with larger file sizes, at least we ought get something more tangible and useful than a mere 5% increase in real resolution.
Fascinating. Someone else just quoted the d600 as 2900 lines or so. So the resolution gap narrows, but if you ask me aps-c will hit a brick wall sooner. Those airy disks just don't get smaller. The d7100 sensor looks amazing in the few pictures I've pixel peeped. Just as good as 20-24mp full frame sensors. I would be sad and if they used the next sensor though. The k-5 maintains superior IQ at high is and honestly I find the Dr and low light performance more important than raw resolution. I agree with what you say. An AA filterless 24mp sensor would likely compete with the d600 though I think. Things are getting interesting.

03-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #155

Carp thoughts

It is true that in the U.S. carp are thought of as trash fish.

The general consensus is that since carp seem to live in some horrible and disgusting waterways, they are horrible and disgusting fish.
That carp prefer and thrive in clean cool waters is often lost.

Their ability to survive less than desirable conditions has labeled them trash fish.

I for one, love Lake Michigan Bonefish

To be relevant, hopefully I can get some get pics of carp I catch this spring with my new K30 (not actually purchased as yet)
03-15-2013, 03:29 PM   #156
Pentaxian

I eat Danube carp (if it's not, it means it's culture carp and it's too fat). Around here, it's not considered "trash fish" - fortunately.
Hmm... a nice, grilled Danube carp with polenta, garlic sauce and a little bit of lemon... yummy
03-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #157
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JerD Quote
The general consensus is that since carp seem to live in some horrible and disgusting waterways, they are horrible and disgusting fish.
Carp live in the beautiful waters of the Patuxent River and also spawn throughout the Chesapeake Bay and each and every watershed to the Chesapeake Bay, these are hardly disgusting waterways. Carp do however destroy entire ecosystems when they inhabit landlocked waters (usually through flooding they will get to the landlocked waters), they absolutely destroy submerged vegetation which in return desolates your landlocked waters as this vegetation that they destroy is needed by many many freshwater breeding fish to thrive. Landlocked ponds and lakes can be completely destroyed within years after Carp are introduced to the waters.

03-15-2013, 03:41 PM   #158
Veteran Member

from pentax, to scotch, to cigars, to fish... we're an odd bunch aren't we?
03-15-2013, 06:10 PM   #159
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
We used to shoot them over here - use them for target practice with our side arms while out on the water.
Maryland is where fly fishing legend lefty kreh lives. He did promote catching carp on fly believe it or not.
03-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #160
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
True here in France ... There's usually an article(s) in the local newspaper announcing the beginning of the season ... and sometimes for unusually big catches, too.
Indeed!
03-15-2013, 06:28 PM   #161
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
Wouldn't have it any other way !
03-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #162
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The progression of a fly fisher:

On a fly rod (as Lefty Kreh I believe once wrote) there are

Any fish
Many fish
Big fish
Challenging fish

Carp is a challenging fish on a fly rod.
03-16-2013, 12:00 AM   #163
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wired Quote
I'm sure that when there's some photographic gear to discuss we'll actually be diverted [sidetracked] in that direction.
03-16-2013, 12:04 AM   #164
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
I think we're quite capable of seeing how ugly the K-01 is
It's actually quite a refreshing design, not ugly in the least. If you think it is then perhaps you should learn something of design or aesthetics.
03-16-2013, 12:28 AM   #165
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
It's actually quite a refreshing design, not ugly in the least. If you think it is then perhaps you should learn something of design or aesthetics.
Like most, I think it is ugly! Looks like a toy.
Closed Thread