Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 44 Likes Search this Thread
03-16-2013, 10:42 PM   #181
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tesla Quote
Like most, I think it is ugly! Looks like a toy.
Well, to each his own, I guess.

I hope that, in life, you're able to get past mere first impressions and appearances, for it is quite a competent and useful little camera that one would be unwise to dismiss.

03-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #182
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes my K-7 still works fine and I will be shooting with it tomorrow but I have to say this waiting for a new DSLR is driving me crazy. I have been waiting for a new camera for a year and a half I just chose to skip the K-5.
03-17-2013, 02:02 AM   #183
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another interesting Idea occurred to me - Pentax could use a monochrome E-paper type display for the status LCD, that doesn't need power to show us what the camera settings are or how many shots we have left on the card. I have a few USB drives that have a E-ink based capacity display that shows you how much space they have left on them - this display doesn't need to draw power to show useful information.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-17-2013 at 03:20 AM.
03-17-2013, 02:46 AM   #184

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Another interesting Idea occurred to me - Pentax could use a monochrome E-paper type display for the status LCD, that doesn't need power to show us what the camera settings are or how many shots we have left on the card. I have a few USB drives that have a E-ink based capacity display that shows you how much space they have left on them - this display doesn't need to draw power.
Another interesting Idea occurred to me - Pentax could use a monochrome E-paper type display for the status LCD, that doesn't need power to show us what the camera settings are or how many shots we have left on the card. I have a few USB drives that have a E-ink based capacity display that shows you how much space they have left on them - this display doesn't need to draw power.
Good idea!

03-17-2013, 04:01 AM   #185
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Another interesting Idea occurred to me - Pentax could use a monochrome E-paper type display for the status LCD, that doesn't need power to show us what the camera settings are or how many shots we have left on the card. I have a few USB drives that have a E-ink based capacity display that shows you how much space they have left on them - this display doesn't need to draw power to show useful information.
That's not a bad idea and the viewing angles would be very good - often I look a my K-7's status display from an angle. You might be able to get away without lighting as well given that e-ink can be viewed until it's quite dim
03-17-2013, 05:50 AM   #186
Veteran Member

E-paper screens typically have slow refresh rates (1-2 seconds) which would make the screen have annoyingly poor response time when updating shutter, aperture etc. indications.

03-17-2013, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #187

FWIW, did anyone else notice the latest reply from Asahi Man on DPR? Talking about the K-3:

Yes,right and the specs are not to bad and very nice for the friend of video......inclusive s..v.. Dis... :-P

Swivel vertical display? Something very disturbing?

03-17-2013, 06:10 AM   #188
Pentaxian

The monochrome LCD doesn't use a lot of power, though, being used in low power devices like watches. Nikon cameras are displaying the number of shots left on the card, even with the camera off.
And how about reliability? I know cases on which e-book readers had their display broken, because of the lower pressures during a flight.

What I think it could be advantageous, is the freedom to display the information (compared to the fixed format imposed by the monochrome LCD). Adding colour could be possible, too, for an even more informative display. I'm not sure if we really need it, but it could be worth giving it a thought.
By the way, Ricoh is actively developing such technologies:
Bright, full color e-paper under development by Ricoh - DigInfo TV
03-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #189
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The monochrome LCD doesn't use a lot of power, though, being used in low power devices like watches
No it doesn't, but a majority of makers do not take advantage and choose not to display anything more than the remaining shots left on the card. What I am thinking of is having an indication when the camera is powered down of remaining battery power, RAW/Jpeg,AE mode,IS on/off, Shutter speed, Aperture, ISO,WB and of course the number of shots remaining on the card. It might also be possible to incorporate touch sensitivity to give users a customisable able quick access to settings through the Monochrome LCD to features that require the user to delve into the menus to employ.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-17-2013 at 07:48 AM.
03-17-2013, 07:42 AM   #190
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
The monochrome LCD doesn't use a lot of power, though, being used in low power devices like watches. Nikon cameras are displaying the number of shots left on the card, even with the camera off.
And how about reliability? I know cases on which e-book readers had their display broken, because of the lower pressures during a flight.

What I think it could be advantageous, is the freedom to display the information (compared to the fixed format imposed by the monochrome LCD). Adding colour could be possible, too, for an even more informative display. I'm not sure if we really need it, but it could be worth giving it a thought.
By the way, Ricoh is actively developing such technologies:
[ur://www.diginfo.tv/v/13-0006-r-en.php]Bright, full color e-paper under development by Ricoh - DigInfo TV[/url]
wow maybe Ricoh can make more things for Pentax too!
03-17-2013, 07:47 AM   #191
Forum Member

I hope someone who works for Pentax reads these posts. So many great ideas here!

Andy
03-17-2013, 02:58 PM   #192
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbulb Quote
Nah they have two things in common. All pleasurable pursuits, and all wr
WR cigars … ?
03-17-2013, 04:27 PM   #193
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
It's actually quite a refreshing design, not ugly in the least. If you think it is then perhaps you should learn something of design or aesthetics.
What patronising and insulting nonsense!! Who are you tell someone what they should or should not find attractive. I don't need to 'learn' what I find attractive or not. I already have that inherent subjective response. You might not find the K-01 ugly, but please respect the opinion of those that do.

In the spirit of adhering to the forum T&Cs I'll refrain from giving you the response that you truly deserve.
03-17-2013, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #194

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
What patronising and insulting nonsense!! Who are you tell someone what they should or should not find attractive. I don't need to 'learn' what I find attractive or not. I already have that inherent subjective response. You might not find the K-01 ugly, but please respect the opinion of those that do.

In the spirit of adhering to the forum T&Cs I'll refrain from giving you the response that you truly deserve.
You know, your response sounds a lot like "I don't know much about art, but I know what I like". Your blunt dismissal of the K-01 as "ugly" suggest you don't understand it and thus reject it. Perhaps if you had studied twentieth century design you might understand where this is coming from and where the designer was going with it. It takes time and a little training for people to learn to appreciate wine or whiskey or fly-fishing and so on, and design and indeed aesthetics is no different.
03-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #195
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Ewins Quote
You know, your response sounds a lot like "I don't know much about art, but I know what I like". Your blunt dismissal of the K-01 as "ugly" suggest you don't understand it and thus reject it. Perhaps if you had studied twentieth century design you might understand where this is coming from and where the designer was going with it. It takes time and a little training for people to learn to appreciate wine or whiskey or fly-fishing and so on, and design and indeed aesthetics is no different.
Far more people have rejected the K-01 than embarrassed it. I own one and I find it butt ugly. Functional despite its design, but ugly none-the-less.

It's amazingly superior and condescending for someone to tell another what is aesthetically pleasing and that if they do not find something that they like attractive/beautiful/"art" that they are somehow either uncouth or uninformed.
Closed Thread