Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2013, 03:03 PM   #226
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
No it is the date for the annual K-1 announcement. :-) The K-3 announcement will be different (I hope).

Dave
K-1 will be announced on 1st of April and K-3 will be announced on 3rd of April.

03-22-2013, 03:15 PM   #227
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Quij Quote
Americans don't like bottom feeding anything for cultural reasons. Carp is delicious!
I'm a bit late to the discussion, but bottom feeding flounder, shrimp, crab, and lobster are popular in the northeast USA. I like catfish, too, which my Japanese mother in law is repulsed by because it eats crap.
03-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #228
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I'm a bit late to the discussion, but bottom feeding flounder, shrimp, crab, and lobster are popular in the northeast USA. I like catfish, too, which my Japanese mother in law is repulsed by because it eats crap.
Everybody I know in Japan is repulsed by catfish. You have to tell them it isn't the same as namazu, but merely a relative. They assume all catfish taste like mud cat.
03-22-2013, 04:29 PM   #229
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love this forum. Go away for a couple of days and a thread I was following on a possible new camera body is now a discussion of edible fish.

I suppose the new camera body is still open for debate but one thing is certain. Trout season opens in NY on April 1.

03-22-2013, 04:41 PM   #230
Veteran Member

Now that's an edible fish!
03-22-2013, 05:23 PM   #231
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My sister-in-law dated an Irish guy who was horrified when served mussels. "THEY'RE GRUBS!"

My brother-in-law won't eat tilapia because it's a bottom feeder. Delicious, IMO. I've never tried carp. but I would like to. I saw a guy fishing in the Credit River east of Toronto. He was having a whale of a battle with a big carp. I watched about 15 minutes then wandered off. A 40-50 pound fish is not unusual.

Gefilte fish (/ɡəˈfɪltə fɪʃ/; from Yiddish: געפֿילטע פֿיש, German: gefüllter Fisch "stuffed fish") is an Ashkenazi Jewish dish made from a poached mixture of ground boned fish, such as carp, whitefish or pike, which is typically eaten as an appetizer.
03-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #232
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DaveBlack Quote
No it is the date for the annual K-1 announcement. :-) The K-3 announcement will be different (I hope).

Dave
Didn't we already have a K-(0)1 ?

03-22-2013, 06:08 PM   #233

Someone who I think is a student from Sheridan College in Oakville (near Toronto) claims to be testing out a new Pentax DSLR. He posts on google+ about it now and then, but always very short on details to abide by Pentax's NDA, which he seems to be close to breaking. I think someone already reposted one of his comments on this or another PF thread. Anyhow, what he says seems generally in line with the rumors. So he either is repeating the rumors, or there is a grain of truth to these. Not sure how he got to be beta tester but I suppose he can't be the only one. I imagine the Kerrick Jameses of the world are also busy testing out the new cameras but are perhaps just tight-lipped about it. He also also mentioned that he will get to test out a new 55-300 WR lens. If true, and it keeps in line the optical quality and value of the current model, that could be a pretty nice lens to have.

Might as well weigh in on the off topic tangents in this thread too. Speaking of cuisine and cameras, I think the K-01 is a bit of an acquired taste. And for me the best example of an acquired taste is bitter melon. It can be, as the name makes plain, quite bitter. As a kid, I simply could not comprehend why one would eat such a thing. But lo an behold, by my late teens, I had developed a taste for it. The K-01 is a bit like that for me, a very striking camera, especially with the 40XS attached, and you can't shoot it like a typical DSLR or MILC because it doesn't have a viewfinder. Can't say I liked it at first but the camera definitely grows on you. Plus, what other hot yellow camera can you buy? I actually like the vertical textured strips on the rubber quite a bit. I think its a clean and modern update to the fake leather grips used on most other cameras. It's build solid like Pentax's other cameras and as a photographic tool is no slouch.

As for fish, a lot of catfish, basa and tilipia are farm raised these days and fed on corn meal of all things. And, as someone else pointed out, many crustaceans, tasty as they are detritivores, i.e., they eat dead or decaying things. Mmm mmm, the circle of life.
03-22-2013, 07:22 PM   #234
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NotSteve Quote
Someone who I think is a student from Sheridan College in Oakville (near Toronto) claims to be testing out a new Pentax DSLR. He posts on google+ about it now and then, but always very short on details to abide by Pentax's NDA, which he seems to be close to breaking. I think someone already reposted one of his comments on this or another PF thread. Anyhow, what he says seems generally in line with the rumors. So he either is repeating the rumors, or there is a grain of truth to these. Not sure how he got to be beta tester but I suppose he can't be the only one. I imagine the Kerrick Jameses of the world are also busy testing out the new cameras but are perhaps just tight-lipped about it. He also also mentioned that he will get to test out a new 55-300 WR lens. If true, and it keeps in line the optical quality and value of the current model, that could be a pretty nice lens to have.
Do you have this guys name is he on like a public google+?
03-22-2013, 07:37 PM   #235
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Gefilte fish (/ɡəˈfɪltə fɪʃ/; from Yiddish: געפֿילטע פֿיש, German: gefüllter Fisch "stuffed fish") is an Ashkenazi Jewish dish made from a poached mixture of ground boned fish, such as carp, whitefish or pike, which is typically eaten as an appetizer.
I vividly remember the first time I saw gefilte fish, in a jar at my grandmother's. I was around 4 years old and thought it was a turd! I will never taste gefilte fish due to that first connection in my brain.

QuoteOriginally posted by NotSteve Quote
And, as someone else pointed out, many crustaceans, tasty as they are detritivores, i.e., they eat dead or decaying things. Mmm mmm, the circle of life.
Yep, many things edible to humans have previously consumed something that's inedible to us. We eat plants. Plants "eat" manure and compost.
03-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #236
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Billium28 Quote
Stephen Davies?
03-22-2013, 08:28 PM   #237
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Billium28 Quote
svitek
03-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #238
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
svitek
I guess the guy I found using Google wasn't him.. I found Mike Svitek on twitter and he says he is testing the k-3

Mike Svitek:
QuoteQuote:
I'm testing one of the prototypes: 3 different configurations exist. The one I currently have has the same sensor as the D600/A99 ... There is another model which has the same sensor as the D4 (much more expensive as a final product)... so far I'm loving it. Too bad I have to keep it taped up whenever I have it outside though.
ISO goes to 102,400 and is clean up to 12,800 (I mean, perfectly clean) Burst is still 7fps. Body is heavier than my K-5 IIs but is the same size (just heavier because of the larger mirror/prism. SR works like a dream, and the new features they are trying to implement... wow! (Bugs still have to be worked out with some of them... most of them...)
Says sensor is same as D600... FF

Last edited by Tesla; 03-22-2013 at 08:50 PM.
03-22-2013, 08:38 PM   #239
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shrimp=cockroach of the sea. Still good eating though.
03-22-2013, 08:49 PM   #240

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul Ewins Quote
You know, your response sounds a lot like "I don't know much about art, but I know what I like". Your blunt dismissal of the K-01 as "ugly" suggest you don't understand it and thus reject it. Perhaps if you had studied twentieth century design you might understand where this is coming from and where the designer was going with it. It takes time and a little training for people to learn to appreciate wine or whiskey or fly-fishing and so on, and design and indeed aesthetics is no different.
I have a Ph.D. in Industrial Design. I know what you are trying to say. However, I still find the K01 quite a bit less than stellar design. I personally find it to look like a yellow brick.
Closed Thread