Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
a fast processing engine for good RAW performance, etc
According to Pentax the Prime-M engine is optimized for video. The K5II retained the Prime II engine to maintain the better still-image processing capability. Apparently at this time it is either/or.

04-01-2013, 08:54 AM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
According to Pentax the Prime-M engine is optimized for video. The K5II retained the Prime II engine to maintain the better still-image processing capability. Apparently at this time it is either/or.
The K-30 uses the Prime M processing engine and people haven't complained about the speed unless I simply missed it. Seems it must be something else holding it back.
04-01-2013, 09:04 AM   #33
Veteran Member

April 1st is going to be a long day ...
04-01-2013, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #34
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
The K-30 uses the Prime M processing engine and people haven't complained about the speed unless I simply missed it. Seems it must be something else holding it back.
K-01 and K-30 are mid-range cameras, both in controls and internals. They both process RAW files in 12-bit, while the K-5 line processes RAW files in 14-bit. K-5 line has better DR, lower base ISO, better dark detail depth (and recpature capability) and K-01 and K-30 have better LiveView and video.

From another site whose name I won't quote: "This image sensor is coupled in the K-30 with the PENTAX “PRIME M” imaging engine for outstanding full 1080p HD movie clips (1920x1080 pixels at 30 frames per second), in addition to outstanding still image capture processing." Pentax's product manager stated the K5II cuoldn't use the PRIME-M image processing engine and maintain 14-bit image processing. That's all I know.

Comment from the same site as above: "
"Rick, of course the K-30 only has 12 bit raw depth as it uses the K-01 sensor so that Live View (LV) and video perfomance would be better; this has implications that with the faster scan frequencies that there isn't time for accurate 14 bit conversions and also that due to the higher frequencies there is higher noise such that the Dynamic Range (DR) as limited by the black read noise is reduced as compared to the sensor of the K-5 and 14 bits become less important even for lower ISO's (and the K-30/K-01 only have a lowest ISO of 100 not the 80 of the K-5).

According to DxOMark, the K-01 has almost a stop less dark read noise limiting DR than the K-5 at lowest ISO sensitivity, which will mean that you would be hard pressed to see the difference in images even if the raw data were read out at 14 bits.

The advantage of less bit depth for an entry to medium level camera is that file sizes will be reduced to almost half the size than if they were 14 bit versions.

Regards, "

Last edited by monochrome; 04-01-2013 at 11:17 AM.
04-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #35
Site Supporter

Well Mecrox Tesfaye and viennese, i fully agree with you : let's pray for the sake of future Pentax k mounted mirrorless
04-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #36
Pentaxian

From another site whose name I won't quote: "This image sensor is coupled in the K-30 with the PENTAX “PRIME M” imaging engine for outstanding full 1080p HD movie clips (1920x1080 pixels at 30 frames per second), in addition to outstanding still image capture processing." Pentax's product manager stated the K5II cuoldn't use the PRIME-M image processing engine and maintain 14-bit image processing. That's all I know.

Comment from the same site as above: "
"Rick, of course the K-30 only has 12 bit raw depth as it uses the K-01 sensor so that Live View (LV) and video perfomance would be better; this has implications that with the faster scan frequencies that there isn't time for accurate 14 bit conversions and also that due to the higher frequencies there is higher noise such that the Dynamic Range (DR) as limited by the black read noise is reduced as compared to the sensor of the K-5 and 14 bits become less important even for lower ISO's (and the K-30/K-01 only have a lowest ISO of 100 not the 80 of the K-5).

According to DxOMark, the K-01 has almost a stop less dark read noise limiting DR than the K-5 at lowest ISO sensitivity, which will mean that you would be hard pressed to see the difference in images even if the raw data were read out at 14 bits.

The advantage of less bit depth for an entry to medium level camera is that file sizes will be reduced to almost half the size than if they were 14 bit versions.

Regards, "
My post was rooted back to the prior comment "and a fast processing engine for good RAW performance". Was that a reference to not having 14 bit RAW images? If so, I now understand what it must have been about but I took it to mean the oft-mentioned complaint that the K-01 has disappointing sustained right speed for RAW shooting. It's not a complaint that's really surfaced for the K-30 so I concluded it must be linked to something other than (or in addition to) the Prime M processor. Make sense?
04-01-2013, 11:26 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
My post was rooted back to the prior comment "and a fast processing engine for good RAW performance". Was that a reference to not having 14 bit RAW images? If so, I now understand what it must have been about but I took it to mean the oft-mentioned complaint that the K-01 has disappointing sustained right speed for RAW shooting. It's not a complaint that's really surfaced for the K-30 so I concluded it must be linked to something other than (or in addition to) the Prime M processor. Make sense?
Yep!! One problem with Forum Posts is understanding what the Poster means by a phrase such as "Good RAW perforamce."

The K-01 bus is slower than K-30 bus and the K-01 buffer fills very rapidly (or is perhaps crippled). Consequently, especially with larger RAW files, the K-01 does not write files to SD card very fast (7 frames, then 1 FPS while the buffer is full). The K-30 is apparently better, but I don't think that is the result of the processor speed (or at last not entirely). 14-bit RAW files are much larger than 12-bit, which would make the K-01 problem worse and would slow down the K-30, also.

I interpret good RAW performance to relate to image quality. I interpret fast processing to relate to shutter speed.

My bad.
04-01-2013, 11:59 AM   #38

Please stop [edited]. K-01 Edsel very poor sales. Sad failure largely condemned by Pentaxians when released. FF just a faint ghost until Pentax says otherwise. We are looking into it they say mysteriously. So what!? I am looking into all sorts of things I can't afford.

Last edited by Blue; 04-01-2013 at 12:23 PM. Reason: language
04-01-2013, 12:06 PM   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
Please stop [edited]. K-01 Edsel very poor sales. Sad failure largely condemned by Pentaxians when released. FF just a faint ghost until Pentax says otherwise. We are looking into it they say mysteriously. So what!? I am looking into all sorts of things I can't afford. [edited]
Your opinon so noted.

Last edited by Blue; 04-01-2013 at 12:23 PM. Reason: edited quoted post
04-01-2013, 12:17 PM   #40
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
April 1st is going to be a long day ...
This thread was started in mid-March.
04-01-2013, 02:41 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yep!! One problem with Forum Posts is understanding what the Poster means by a phrase such as "Good RAW perforamce." .

I interpret good RAW performance to relate to image quality. I interpret fast processing to relate to shutter speed.

My bad.
In my post by "good RAW performance" I was referring to faster processing, shot to shot and shot to card. This then feeds through into things like bracketing which I use a lot for interiors and the like. I rarely use my K-01 in a situation where I want to squeeze the Nth degree of DR et al from it, even assuming lenses of sufficient quality. TBH, I'd be surprised if I could tell the final difference between 12 bit and 14 bit anyway. It's more of a fun camera for me, though still very versatile. However, I am a RAW shooter 99 per cent of the time and nippy RAW performance is something I value. This is too good a cam to be a jpeg-only cam, imho, though each to their own on that one.

I realize the K-01 is a mid-range cam and these days a bargain, imho. However I think the "range" thing is changing a bit. These days it's all been done and is out there. So it's less a question of buying a cam because it has a whizzbang feature the others don't have. More a question of not buying a cam because well-established features which could perfectly well be on it have been left off deliberately or crippled as part of a segmentation thing. Thank you Nikon and Canon. One of Pentax's few differentiators these days is that they don't play this game much, to their credit, and I hope they don't ever start.
04-01-2013, 02:48 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In one off the interviews it was said that PRIME M was for 12-bit processing and thus not for the topmodel camera. Who knows, maybe even some off the power is reserved for video or even to run liveview.
04-01-2013, 03:20 PM   #43
Pentaxian

I have to say, the burst mode is pretty bad on the K-01. It is mirrorless, it should be able to perform at least as well if not better than the K-30. I don't see why adding a couple MB to the buffer would be prohibitively expensive.

Last edited by Na Horuk; 04-01-2013 at 03:28 PM.
04-01-2013, 11:05 PM   #44
Forum Member

Somebody said whiskey? I'm all in.

Jim Beam Black while listening CCR
04-02-2013, 10:05 AM   #45
Site Supporter

Well, let's say i prefer the pandamera