Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-01 production dates

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Most of the dates I've seen were March, May, or August, suggesting three blocks/batches/whatever. The four bodies I've personally checked (purchased September-December) were March, April, and May.

This is probably wrong, but it's almost like they slowed down in June/July as stock piled up, then decided to wind things down and use up available components in August / early September. The first price reduction was in early September, but the big drops didn't come until mid-late October.
I am remembering some of the same quotes as you from Pentax officials recently. Also, the two that I bought were Sept. 13 and March 23 of 2012. Sold off the yellow one (Sept. 13th) and I think it is the latest production date listed in the PF camera serial# database so far.

Last edited by goldenarrow; 04-28-2013 at 04:00 PM.
04-28-2013, 03:59 PM   #122
Veteran Member

compromises

QuoteOriginally posted by Travis Butler Quote
So I think calling the K-01 a 'repurposed DSLR' is unfair. It really does feel to me like they decided to make a MILC that pushes DSLR quality - hence the sensor and the native K-mount - and then tried to design the smallest camera they could around that concept. I don't think it was a complete success (I'm not fond of the grip, the rubber flap, or the green/red button placement either), but I don't think it was a lazy design. And I think the Q and the K-01 do a much better job than Nikon One and NEX, respectively - Nikon and Sony compromised too much, without enough benefit to show for it.
Thanks Travis for your thoughts. I too am liking the K-01 for certain purposes, mostly manual with focus peaking, landscape, some wildlife, macro and the occasional convenience at parties with a small lens. So, as much as some people hated the Pentax/Hoya-inspired design effort of the K-01, for my particular uses, it actually is a big hit at the lower price point. I think they could have done without the designer chic, designed it in-house and sold it at a lower price point. But I can also see that it will not fit into a bigger marketing plan and I cannot see Ricoh ever coming out with such an odd-ball camera in the future. Any Pentax MILC will have to be more mainstream with some unique things that make it a Pentax (or a Ricoh design instead). So (from a sales standpoint) the K-mount seems destined to stay with more expensive and feature rich DSLR's for the enthusiast market. Just my opinion....

04-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #123
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by goldenarrow Quote
Thanks Travis for your thoughts. I too am liking the K-01 for certain purposes, mostly manual with focus peaking, landscape, some wildlife, macro and the occasional convenience at parties with a small lens. So, as much as some people hated the Pentax/Hoya-inspired design effort of the K-01, for my particular uses, it actually is a big hit at the lower price point. I think they could have done without the designer chic, designed it in-house and sold it at a lower price point. But I can also see that it will not fit into a bigger marketing plan and I cannot see Ricoh ever coming out with such an odd-ball camera in the future. Any Pentax MILC will have to be more mainstream with some unique things that make it a Pentax (or a Ricoh design instead). So (from a sales standpoint) the K-mount seems destined to stay with more expensive and feature rich DSLR's for the enthusiast market. Just my opinion....

I was also working on a response to Travis... Uh, ditto? And thanks! I had wondered about the NEX's handling with SLR lenses, especially with the current trend towards enormous barrels.

The debate about mirrorless, the K-mount, and the K-01 seems to depend largely on whether the speaker is in-family Pentax or not. From the outside, the viewpoint seems to be that you must use a new mount in order to have smaller body size, and the K-mount has no value (or negative value). It's not helped by the fact that there aren't any other legacy DSLR-mount mirrorless cameras to compare to. (Will there be? Let me check my magic 8-ball...)

For someone with an investment into Pentax lenses (especially A/F/FA/DA glass), being able to use them natively with more than manual focus & stop-down metering has significant value, even at the cost of size. Or, as I like to say, the K-01 isn't an MILC that happens to have a K-mount. It's a K-mount camera that happens to be mirrorless.
04-28-2013, 05:43 PM   #124
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I don't necessarily think you're wrong, but I wanted to know how could one find out. From what I understand, it was speculation (but, again, not necessarily wrong).

THoog, between March and September would make a very long "one production run"
This is why I wrote "as far as we know".

04-28-2013, 06:23 PM   #125
Veteran Member

The idea of a thin rectangular box with large coke can sized lenses attached isn't logical to me unless you only ever carry the one lens with you. You may as well design a circular camera body that matches the width of the lens so that the entire combo is just a cylinder that can slide into your pocket.. I don't see why camera should always be rectangular.. especially MILC varieties.. they are the most boring looking devices.
04-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #126
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
This is why I wrote "as far as we know".
But we don't know that, do we?
In fact, reading the last posts one would reasonably conclude that more than one run was made.
04-29-2013, 04:10 AM   #127
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
But we don't know that, do we?
In fact, reading the last posts one would reasonably conclude that more than one run was made.
You are disagreeing with a rather trivial point of the discussion. Right or wrong, how does it change anything about the K-01's status in this world?
04-29-2013, 04:50 AM   #128
Pentaxian

Professional deformation; I have to separate facts from assumptions, even on trivial things
But originally, I was curious if such information is indeed available (for other products as well).

04-29-2013, 06:21 AM   #129
Loyal Site Supporter

Out of curiosity, how are you defining 'production run'? Does intent come into it - if they decided from the start on so many per batch, with options for additional batches, etc.?

I think to seriously evaluate K-01 production, we would need not only numbers of units made and dates (available only at the factory or Pentax HQ), but also information about what decisions were made & when - and I can only think that Pentax would be slightly less opaque about that than they are about future plans. It seems like people read into its history whatever they want to read into it.
05-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #130
ogl
Pentaxian

First renderings (fake) of the new K-02… | Mirrorless Rumors

he-he...

05-03-2013, 11:28 AM   #131
Pentaxian

That is a wonderfull side. Searching there also brought a K-11

Letís dream: Pentax 24 Megapixel Full Frame camera coming in march 2013? | Mirrorless Rumors

Wow great and Full Frame!
05-03-2013, 11:37 AM   #132
Loyal Site Supporter

Looking at the other (fake) K-02 renders, it's interesting that they added an OVF, but didn't do anything about the green button. We all have our own priorities, I guess.
05-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #133
Site Supporter

I'd rather have the EVF on the back of the camera. Maybe it's just me.
05-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #134
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
That is a wonderfull side. Searching there also brought a K-11

Let’s dream: Pentax 24 Megapixel Full Frame camera coming in march 2013? | Mirrorless Rumors

Wow great and Full Frame!
Where do I place my pre-order?

Imagine if they priced that at $1000. Just think of all the existential angst that will cause the people that want FF but hate the K-01 styling!
05-05-2013, 06:44 AM   #135
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

K-01 body only and with DA 40 XS has been discontinued by B&H. Making room for something new?