Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
04-08-2013, 08:27 AM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
It's not your opinion but rather the choice of words that's the issue, IMHO. As a more extreme example, would you use those words to describe some else' spouse and then hide behind the explanation "I accept you think she's beautiful"?
It's an irrelevant and erroneous example. Someone's partner is not a product that anyone with enough funds can go out and buy. Someone's partner is not generally put on a public stage for criticism.

04-08-2013, 12:12 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bossa, edited version restored, minus one sentence/ in reflection. Thanks

To all..... the matter has been dealt with and acted on, as seen by Moderators, could this discussion on a particular comment now be dropped and all discussion revert to the subject at hand.
I don't want to have to close the thread, so please keep all discussion cordial and pertinent.
Thanks, guys

Last edited by Bramela; 04-08-2013 at 12:27 PM.
04-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bramela Quote
Bossa, edited version restored, minus one sentence/ in reflection. Thanks

To all..... the matter has been dealt with and acted on, as seen by Moderators, could this discussion on a particular comment now be dropped and all discussion revert to the subject at hand.
I don't want to have to close the thread, so please keep all discussion cordial and pertinent.
Thanks, guys
Thanks Bramela
04-10-2013, 11:28 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Must be something coming soon -- Adorama just blew out their last K-01s (body only) at US $249. So -- what's in the APS-C pipeline? Dare we hope for... a K-02? Or do you think the K-30 is going to be 'it' for awhile?

Last edited by jon404; 04-10-2013 at 11:42 PM.
04-12-2013, 08:22 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Smeggypants Quote
Obviously by people who have joined the Elite of being educated in the technicalities of "modern design"
I assume that there's a certain amount of jesting in this comment, but for what it's worth, knowing the people who have said these things: no. That's really not the case.

But enough about the form of the K-01: let's talk about the functionality. There's no doubt that Pentax could easily release a higher-specified mirrorless APS-C body, and I really wish they would. Would this cut into the sales of Pentax's existing SLR line? Perhaps. But Pentax should be working hard to grow the entire K-mount ecosystem at the expense of rival makers.
04-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Well, to get this back on track, we could all agree that tradition is important in camera design. Even if, for DSLRs, that traditional pentaprism-y look only goes back to what, 1960? Camera buyers seem to be as locked in as chocolate bar consumers, and woe betide any manufacturer who tries something that looks different. Unless -- like Nikon with those first SLRs, they just keep the design in production, and then it becomes the new tradition. After maybe 10 years?

Leica is maybe the best example. Made the same external-appearance body since 1925. That's design tradition! But it takes time. Large-format camera users sneered at Leicas for years. On the other hand, the Edsel kept its vertical-oval grill for only three years, before changing to a more conventional look for 1962 and then going under. The K-01 is sort of like the Edsel... nothing wrong with the actual product, but the design didn't resonate, and the manufacturer didn't keep it around long enough to become the new style.

The opportunity to define a new style for mirrorless cameras is still open. Pentax, get back in the game! Give Newsom a second shot at it -- or get another talented industrial designer on the job. After all, the internals are already world-class... it's just the outside appearance we are talking about here.
04-13-2013, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jon404 Quote
Well, to get this back on track, we could all agree that tradition is important in camera design. Even if, for DSLRs, that traditional pentaprism-y look only goes back to what, 1960? Camera buyers seem to be as locked in as chocolate bar consumers, and woe betide any manufacturer who tries something that looks different. Unless -- like Nikon with those first SLRs, they just keep the design in production, and then it becomes the new tradition. After maybe 10 years?

Leica is maybe the best example. Made the same external-appearance body since 1925. That's design tradition! But it takes time. Large-format camera users sneered at Leicas for years. On the other hand, the Edsel kept its vertical-oval grill for only three years, before changing to a more conventional look for 1962 and then going under. The K-01 is sort of like the Edsel... nothing wrong with the actual product, but the design didn't resonate, and the manufacturer didn't keep it around long enough to become the new style.

The opportunity to define a new style for mirrorless cameras is still open. Pentax, get back in the game! Give Newsom a second shot at it -- or get another talented industrial designer on the job. After all, the internals are already world-class... it's just the outside appearance we are talking about here.
I haven't a problem with manufacturers trying something different. I think it should be encouraged. of course the more diverse range of designs that appear then there's more chance of a diverse reaction from the market-place. Pentax tried something different with the K-01. Opinions ranged from "Ugly" to "Sexy". My opinion was in the former but I'm still pleased they took the plunge. Don't think they should use Newson again though. Give someone else a shot.

I have varying views on pentaprism-y designs too. I'm not too keen on the look of my old Pentax SFX , but I think my K-5s look great.

Last edited by Smeggypants; 04-13-2013 at 08:02 PM.
04-13-2013, 06:05 PM   #68
Pentaxian

...... Give Newsom a second shot at it -- or get another talented industrial designer on the job..
The second option God willing
Newsom showed his limits with the rubber door/ green button location fails.
04-14-2013, 05:26 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Hmmn, the K-01 suggests that you cannot repurpose a DSLR by removing the mirrorbox and trying to pass it off as a dedicated MILC. You have to design everything from the ground up with mirrorless in mind, including the mount and the lenses. If you skip that bit, which Pentax did, you'll end up with a world-class embarrassment whatever the internals may be.
04-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Let's look at a more recent automobile... the Pontiac Aztek. Had General Motors kept selling the thing, it still wouldn't have looked any better no matter how many years they gave it.

Granted, some designs take time to become a new standard of sorts. Some designs are just bad and should be abandoned. I wouldn't put the K-01 in either of those categories.
04-14-2013, 08:55 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mecrox Quote
Hmmn, the K-01 suggests that you cannot repurpose a DSLR by removing the mirrorbox and trying to pass it off as a dedicated MILC. You have to design everything from the ground up with mirrorless in mind, including the mount and the lenses. If you skip that bit, which Pentax did, you'll end up with a world-class embarrassment whatever the internals may be.
One of the best summaries of the K-01, IMHO. Pentax made the K-01 an aesthetic design exercise based on their DSLRs. Instead, a true engineering redesign exercise to produce a MILC would have been the better approach. But... nothing ventured, nothing gained and Pentax knows more about the market now than they did before the K-01 appeared.

Last edited by IchabodCrane; 04-14-2013 at 10:04 AM.
04-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #72
ogl
Banned

There is info about camera lower than K-30...It will be soon.
04-26-2013, 09:16 AM   #73

i want ff or Ricoh to buy Sigma...i give Pentax 1 year for that or I bought a Nikon color sucks aps-c......i want sigma 100-300mm f 2.8 and 300-800mm f5.6
04-27-2013, 05:27 AM   #74
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by soled Quote
i want ff or Ricoh to buy Sigma...i give Pentax 1 year for that or I bought a Nikon color sucks aps-c......i want sigma 100-300mm f 2.8 and 300-800mm f5.6
Frankly, the last two, you won't get.
04-27-2013, 06:07 AM   #75

I wrote to Sigma chief, and he told me, that i get that lens in k maunt when Pentax gets a full frame...If not so, it will buy Nikon or Canon Raw or m42 maunt on sigma, and go manual with my K20(more likely).I realy like the pentax colors and detail.I need ff only to get Sigma on pentax aps-c....
Or ask a Metabones for Speed buster for Canon or Nikon maunt...
ps.Or i ask chinesse to do that...

Last edited by soled; 04-27-2013 at 06:25 AM.