Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2013, 01:19 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Yep - Ricoh 2011 revenue was $49.5 Billion. if they aren't going to make an effort why even bother?.
Yeah, the only thing worse than zero marketing is bad marketing. Even a hobby business deserves good faith.

M

03-17-2013, 01:20 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Thanks for the report!
03-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pghwarrior23 Quote
I should post photos of the Nikon, Sony, and Canon booths for comparison. Or even Fuji. But yes the lack of enthusiasm was especially disappointing even more so than the bad location, small booth, and lack of wow factor from the display. Canon also had their mega long lenses on mounts in little areas that you could walk up to and see their power...got people really excited since most can't afford those lenses. I think a better display of the 645D definitely would have appealed to this crowd, but so would the size, weight, weather sealing and quality of the K-5 compared to the expensive competitors. Heck even the display of all of the color options of the Q would have gone over pretty well as their were thousands of female fashionistas there shopping for fancy camera straps and bags and would have gone bonkers over a custom color designed little portable camera I think! Not like this was a tiny little show either...easily one of the largest attended photography related events in the USA. They could have Benjamin Kanarek there and his shots in major fashion mags shot with Pentax and really opened some eyes!
Unfortunately, I couldn't be there even though I was asked to come. I was too busy in post prod...
03-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #19

no point doing a show unless you do it well and make a splash!

03-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
yeah she had that as a prop when I was there too. Kind of sad that half the photos they posted to their own album of photos are not even from their booth or the experience of the people there. they also must have pulled out all of those lenses just for the photo because they were not there when I was there...and even if they were...a bunch of random stuff on a counter top instead of an actual display. the Nikon and Canon lens showcases made anyone say WOW! And look at the masses of people at the booth and the excitement of the staff....hahahaha
03-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just a few photos from WPPI...I thought I took more of Sony, Canon and Fuji but can't seem to find them right now. I wasn't really thinking about posting a comparison on here at the time. But I think it can show how lame the Pentax booth was in comparison to "the competition"
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sony and Canon stages for speakers you can see. Nikon had a stage too. Nikon also had the bags everyone was carrying around that they got when you checked in at the conference. These photos don't really do justice to the massive size of the booths of the big 3 though.

Sigma had a ton of lenses there to try out and see how you like them. Also had several Canon and Nikon bodies on hand to try their lenses on your camera in case you didn't have yours there. Of course I didn't see a Pentax body there and didn't bother asking if they had any Pentax K mount lenses there to try.
03-17-2013, 05:37 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A few more from my cell phone...notice how I was drooling over the lens lineups! As were everyone else. I wish I would have done a better job of documenting the radical difference between what even Fujifilm and Panasonic had let alone the big 3.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 4S  Photo   
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 4S  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 4S  Photo 
03-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Worth noting that Canon also had a MASSIVE section for printing as well and were printing some lovely prints right there on the spot in addition to all of their camera gear. While I wouldn't expect Pentax to have as large of a display as the big 2 or even Sony for that matter...they could have had more gear on hand than Sony who has a paltry lens lineup and could have really had more of a presence than Panasonic or Fujifilm. But now I am just beating a dead horse.

Fantastic conference by the way with some really incredible speakers...highly educational and motivating/inspiring!
03-17-2013, 06:08 PM   #25
Banned

Sony and Canon stages for speakers you can see. Nikon had a stage too. Nikon also had the bags everyone was carrying around that they got when you checked in at the conference. These photos don't really do justice to the massive size of the booths of the big 3 though.

Sigma had a ton of lenses there to try out and see how you like them. Also had several Canon and Nikon bodies on hand to try their lenses on your camera in case you didn't have yours there. Of course I didn't see a Pentax body there and didn't bother asking if they had any Pentax K mount lenses there to try.
Correct; no Pentax bodies available for use, but... There were actually plenty of Sigma glass that was available to try out in PK; btw - some of which has yet to have a release date issued for it yet.

Also noting; PghWarrior, we may very well have been on the same flight either to or from Vegas. Mind if I inquire as to which airline?
03-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #26
Veteran Member

glass

QuoteOriginally posted by Medium FormatPro Quote
Correct; no Pentax bodies available for use, but... There were actually plenty of Sigma glass that was available to try out in PK; btw - some of which has yet to have a release date issued for it yet.

Also noting; PghWarrior, we may very well have been on the same flight either to or from Vegas. Mind if I inquire as to which airline?
May I ask which Sigma glass in PK not yet announced? Might be nice to look forward to.

03-17-2013, 06:43 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was tempted to ask Sigma if they had an 85 f/1.4 in Pentax mount. I flew from Pittsburgh to Chicago to Vegas via Southwest. And then direct return flight to Pittsburgh
03-17-2013, 08:01 PM   #28

That's what Imaging USA here in Atlanta looked like. Only Pentax didn't even show. Nikon had 3 cameras out like the picture you showed and I would gladly change systems if I had the money for lenses like that and the camera focused extremely fast.
03-18-2013, 06:35 AM   #29
Banned

I flew from Pittsburgh to Chicago to Vegas via Southwest
Yep we were on the same flight
03-18-2013, 10:06 PM   #30
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And as a contrast, Pentax Ricoh booth at Cp+ was beautiful.
That may mean two things:

1) Ricoh does not give a dime for US marketing efforts yet, until they know exactly what's the situation there.

2) Ricoh is keen on its own Japanese market, and will eventually invest elsewhere, according to their list of priorities.

In both cases it seems Pentax USA did something quickly, with severely limited resources and poor imagination. In contrast, seeing Fuji, who have only 2 camera bodies in their ytstem and a few lenses to be so enthusiastic, makes this whole story truly unbelievable.

An idea to restore a fresh view on Pentax marketing and public image: give all obviously braindead males of PRIC USA a kick in the bum, and employ a dozen of energetic and charming women representatives.