Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member
Zorglub's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 486
DxO to support Pentax SMC DA* 60-250mm f/4 ED [IF] SDM

Pentax K-5
Pentax smc DA Star 60-250mm F4 ED (IF) SDM
Available 06.2013

Source: Supported equipment

Finally! I have been waiting for this :-)

03-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member
stormtech's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the boonies (NW Penna)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,670
QuoteOriginally posted by Zorglub Quote
Pentax K-5
Pentax smc DA Star 60-250mm F4 ED (IF) SDM
Available 06.2013

Source: Supported equipment

Finally! I have been waiting for this :-)
Wow - I don't know how many times I sent the request for this lens.....thanks for the heads up!

Not that this lens really needs much help, but nice to have the module in the stable.
03-27-2013, 05:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian
cali92rs's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 3,346
DxO has really stepped up their support of Pentax the past 1.5 years
03-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,849
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
DxO has really stepped up their support of Pentax the past 1.5 years
It comes from lots of user nagging and requests, I'm sure.

Now they have to add a few more 3rd party (Sigma, SamYang, Tamron) lenses for Pentax.

Then do modules for all of the Pentax M and A series lenses

03-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 233
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It comes from lots of user nagging and requests, I'm sure.

Now they have to add a few more 3rd party (Sigma, SamYang, Tamron) lenses for Pentax.

Then do modules for all of the Pentax M and A series lenses
Sorry to ask this, but how does this help us? Does it go much beyond what Lens Calibration in LR provides?
03-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,849
QuoteOriginally posted by The Kurly One Quote
Does it go much beyond what Lens Calibration in LR provides?
Yes. It does all the optical corrections (distortion, vignetting etc) that LR can do, plus DxO also attempts to do some deconvolution sharpening, and other secret sauce, based on their lens testing and profiling, and their assessment of how well a particular model of lens works on a particular model of camera.

So, theoretically, it can automagically turn your fuzzy and dark kit lens into a Zeiss.
03-28-2013, 01:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,267
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Yes. It does all the optical corrections (distortion, vignetting etc) that LR can do, plus DxO also attempts to do some deconvolution sharpening, and other secret sauce, based on their lens testing and profiling, and their assessment of how well a particular model of lens works on a particular model of camera.

So, theoretically, it can automagically turn your fuzzy and dark kit lens into a Zeiss.
Yep, as Rawr says.

More simply, a huge difference is that LR profiles are specific to a lens on a system. Let's say: Sigma 28/1.8 EX DG on a Pentax K (APS).
DXO modules are tied to a lens AND a camera: it will correct differently on a K5 than on a K10 or an ist-D.

How much better is DXO, I dunno. I hate DXO's speed (and price) as I'd use LR for catalog anyway.
But on paper, DXO is quite superior.
03-28-2013, 01:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member
Zorglub's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 486
Original Poster
I use both. Lightroom for import and catalogue, DxO for development. I used to spend 10 minutes+ in Lightroom, now I use 1 in DxO to get the same or better result. For wide angle lenses the sharpening magic of DxO is flabbergasting. Try it with the DA 15 and see for yourself :-)

03-28-2013, 03:57 AM   #9
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,267
QuoteOriginally posted by Zorglub Quote
I use both. Lightroom for import and catalogue, DxO for development. I used to spend 10 minutes+ in Lightroom, now I use 1 in DxO to get the same or better result. For wide angle lenses the sharpening magic of DxO is flabbergasting. Try it with the DA 15 and see for yourself :-)
I might wanna try again.
How is DXO compared to LR for development (besides lens corrections) ?
What about speed ?
03-28-2013, 04:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member
Zorglub's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 486
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
What about speed
In DxO everything works with a certain amount of lag. It's not like Lightroom when you move a slider it updates near instantly. Also some adjustments ie. unsharpen only shows at 75% (I believe) zoom level. However I still spend only a fraction of the time developing in DxO because the basis is much more to my liking than Lightroom. I think the interface in DxO is cluttered and difficult to navigate too, so that is a speed bump or at least a learning curve that needs climbing. Naturally you mileage may vary depending on what computer you are running on and how patient you are but I think that despite it's slow/sluggish interface and operation my results get there faster and look better.

NB: My pc specs below, all editing is done on an SSD. So I don't think thats the problem.
Attached Images
 
03-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #11
Pentaxian
thibs's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belgium
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,267
Thank you, Zorglub.

Guess my laptop would be quite Slow.

Ill try though.
03-28-2013, 09:51 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,551
My laptop is ancient - Lenovo T60, Dual Core 1.83GHz. DxO is painfully slow if I watch it do its thing. Two image a minute is the timing.

On the other hand, my supply of Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale and the TV makes the wait not so bad. DxO will take my images from my K10D and DA-L 55-300 (to give it a good challenge) and do its thing at 2 images a minute for how ever many hours.

The big difference is that I don't need to do anything except turn it loose. I can reduce my reserves of Ale, mow the lawn, wash the truck, whatever ... while DxO works. Its speed doesn't bother me too much as long as the job jar has something in it, or the beer supply holds out.
03-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #13
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 233
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
My laptop is ancient - Lenovo T60, Dual Core 1.83GHz. DxO is painfully slow if I watch it do its thing. Two image a minute is the timing.

On the other hand, my supply of Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale and the TV makes the wait not so bad. DxO will take my images from my K10D and DA-L 55-300 (to give it a good challenge) and do its thing at 2 images a minute for how ever many hours.

The big difference is that I don't need to do anything except turn it loose. I can reduce my reserves of Ale, mow the lawn, wash the truck, whatever ... while DxO works. Its speed doesn't bother me too much as long as the job jar has something in it, or the beer supply holds out.
A BC person enjoying the best of the East Coast lol! What happened to Kokanee?
03-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Canada_Rockies's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sparwood, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,551
I prefer ale. . The best brew I've ever had was Kleine Moellige, but I don't think you can get it outside of Bad Sassendorf.
03-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #15
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 233
I'm an Ale man myself! But if I had to choose my favourite beer from Ontario, its a tough call between Moosehead, and Sleeman Honey Brown... but if we start talking small batch beers, theres KLB!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
60-250mm, da* 60-250mm f/4, pentax, pentax news, pentax rumors, pentax smc da*, sdm, smc, smc da* 60-250mm
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Pentax DA* 60-250mm f/4 ED SDM Lens kulas3VII Sold Items 16 04-17-2013 06:47 PM
For Sale - Sold: SMC Pentax DA* 60-250mm f4 ED (IF) SDM lens bonovox Sold Items 15 12-28-2012 07:33 AM
Pentax SMC DA* 60-250mm f/4 ED IF SDM Available at Adorama Tbear Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 34 12-24-2008 07:14 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:43 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top