03-25-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DxO to support Pentax SMC DA* 60-250mm f/4 ED [IF] SDM

Pentax K-5
Pentax smc DA Star 60-250mm F4 ED (IF) SDM
Available 06.2013

Source: Supported equipment

Finally! I have been waiting for this :-)

03-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zorglub Quote
Pentax K-5
Pentax smc DA Star 60-250mm F4 ED (IF) SDM
Available 06.2013

Source: Supported equipment

Finally! I have been waiting for this :-)
Wow - I don't know how many times I sent the request for this lens.....thanks for the heads up!

Not that this lens really needs much help, but nice to have the module in the stable.
03-27-2013, 05:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian

DxO has really stepped up their support of Pentax the past 1.5 years
03-27-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
DxO has really stepped up their support of Pentax the past 1.5 years
It comes from lots of user nagging and requests, I'm sure.

Now they have to add a few more 3rd party (Sigma, SamYang, Tamron) lenses for Pentax.

Then do modules for all of the Pentax M and A series lenses

03-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
It comes from lots of user nagging and requests, I'm sure.

Now they have to add a few more 3rd party (Sigma, SamYang, Tamron) lenses for Pentax.

Then do modules for all of the Pentax M and A series lenses
Sorry to ask this, but how does this help us? Does it go much beyond what Lens Calibration in LR provides?
03-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by The Kurly One Quote
Does it go much beyond what Lens Calibration in LR provides?
Yes. It does all the optical corrections (distortion, vignetting etc) that LR can do, plus DxO also attempts to do some deconvolution sharpening, and other secret sauce, based on their lens testing and profiling, and their assessment of how well a particular model of lens works on a particular model of camera.

So, theoretically, it can automagically turn your fuzzy and dark kit lens into a Zeiss.
03-28-2013, 01:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Yes. It does all the optical corrections (distortion, vignetting etc) that LR can do, plus DxO also attempts to do some deconvolution sharpening, and other secret sauce, based on their lens testing and profiling, and their assessment of how well a particular model of lens works on a particular model of camera.

So, theoretically, it can automagically turn your fuzzy and dark kit lens into a Zeiss.
Yep, as Rawr says.

More simply, a huge difference is that LR profiles are specific to a lens on a system. Let's say: Sigma 28/1.8 EX DG on a Pentax K (APS).
DXO modules are tied to a lens AND a camera: it will correct differently on a K5 than on a K10 or an ist-D.

How much better is DXO, I dunno. I hate DXO's speed (and price) as I'd use LR for catalog anyway.
But on paper, DXO is quite superior.
03-28-2013, 01:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I use both. Lightroom for import and catalogue, DxO for development. I used to spend 10 minutes+ in Lightroom, now I use 1 in DxO to get the same or better result. For wide angle lenses the sharpening magic of DxO is flabbergasting. Try it with the DA 15 and see for yourself :-)

03-28-2013, 03:57 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zorglub Quote
I use both. Lightroom for import and catalogue, DxO for development. I used to spend 10 minutes+ in Lightroom, now I use 1 in DxO to get the same or better result. For wide angle lenses the sharpening magic of DxO is flabbergasting. Try it with the DA 15 and see for yourself :-)
I might wanna try again.
How is DXO compared to LR for development (besides lens corrections) ?
What about speed ?
03-28-2013, 04:10 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
What about speed
In DxO everything works with a certain amount of lag. It's not like Lightroom when you move a slider it updates near instantly. Also some adjustments ie. unsharpen only shows at 75% (I believe) zoom level. However I still spend only a fraction of the time developing in DxO because the basis is much more to my liking than Lightroom. I think the interface in DxO is cluttered and difficult to navigate too, so that is a speed bump or at least a learning curve that needs climbing. Naturally you mileage may vary depending on what computer you are running on and how patient you are but I think that despite it's slow/sluggish interface and operation my results get there faster and look better.

NB: My pc specs below, all editing is done on an SSD. So I don't think thats the problem.
Attached Images

03-28-2013, 08:44 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Thank you, Zorglub.

Guess my laptop would be quite Slow.

Ill try though.
03-28-2013, 09:51 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

My laptop is ancient - Lenovo T60, Dual Core 1.83GHz. DxO is painfully slow if I watch it do its thing. Two image a minute is the timing.

On the other hand, my supply of Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale and the TV makes the wait not so bad. DxO will take my images from my K10D and DA-L 55-300 (to give it a good challenge) and do its thing at 2 images a minute for how ever many hours.

The big difference is that I don't need to do anything except turn it loose. I can reduce my reserves of Ale, mow the lawn, wash the truck, whatever ... while DxO works. Its speed doesn't bother me too much as long as the job jar has something in it, or the beer supply holds out.
03-29-2013, 02:14 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
My laptop is ancient - Lenovo T60, Dual Core 1.83GHz. DxO is painfully slow if I watch it do its thing. Two image a minute is the timing.

On the other hand, my supply of Alexander Keith's India Pale Ale and the TV makes the wait not so bad. DxO will take my images from my K10D and DA-L 55-300 (to give it a good challenge) and do its thing at 2 images a minute for how ever many hours.

The big difference is that I don't need to do anything except turn it loose. I can reduce my reserves of Ale, mow the lawn, wash the truck, whatever ... while DxO works. Its speed doesn't bother me too much as long as the job jar has something in it, or the beer supply holds out.
A BC person enjoying the best of the East Coast lol! What happened to Kokanee?
03-29-2013, 03:01 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

I prefer ale. . The best brew I've ever had was Kleine Moellige, but I don't think you can get it outside of Bad Sassendorf.
03-29-2013, 04:13 PM   #15

I'm an Ale man myself! But if I had to choose my favourite beer from Ontario, its a tough call between Moosehead, and Sleeman Honey Brown... but if we start talking small batch beers, theres KLB!