Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-28-2013, 04:05 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I think the market shrinkage might have something to do with a large part of the DSLR buying world (Europe, USA, Japan etc) are still suffering the effects of various banking crises over the past ten to fifteen years (Europe and North America's being the past five years). If these parts of the world ever pull out and back into growth the market for DSLRs (a luxury product except for professionals) might well pick up. There is always going to be a market for photographs, SmartPhones may be killing the compact, but for quality images, there is no consistent replacement for DSLRs yet and until there are good live digital viewfinders, there is unlikely to be one. Therefore I for one am convinced that the downturn in the DSLRs is more economic than long term. Hopefully, Pentax will be in a good position to pick up the slack when the market improves; it is the time to do it.

03-28-2013, 05:07 PM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redimp Quote
I think the market shrinkage might have something to do with a large part of the DSLR buying world (Europe, USA, Japan etc) are still suffering the effects of various banking crises over the past ten to fifteen years (Europe and North America's being the past five years). If these parts of the world ever pull out and back into growth the market for DSLRs (a luxury product except for professionals) might well pick up. There is always going to be a market for photographs, SmartPhones may be killing the compact, but for quality images, there is no consistent replacement for DSLRs yet and until there are good live digital viewfinders, there is unlikely to be one. Therefore I for one am convinced that the downturn in the DSLRs is more economic than long term. Hopefully, Pentax will be in a good position to pick up the slack when the market improves; it is the time to do it.
Yup, that would be one piece of the equation. Partially thanks to the economy people aren't buying as much as they used to, and the market becomes flooded, and unsold stocks grow bigger. The manufacturers want us to buy both the old and the new stock, but people don't need that many cameras, nor can they afford them right now. It's not a DSLR thing alone. Looks like it's the same with DSLR's, CSC's and even compacts.

When people need, or feel like they need a new product, they will buy one, provided that they have the financial means to do so. In such a case, even the price doesn't really matter. Those who can will buy, regardless of the price, and those who cannot or dare not won't, even at discounted prices. Nowadays many people will just have to rethink whether they actually need something, or simply want something.

Because money is moving in one direction only these days, from out pockets into the banks.
Non Sequitur Comic Strip, March 28, 2013 on GoComics.com
03-29-2013, 04:03 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
The larger Jessops stores have always carried Pentax, but the smaller ones are invariably totally devoid of anything Pentax related. It'll be interesting to see if this changes at all.
Jessops stoped stocking Pentax for quite a while in York Parliament St then started again just before it closed.

Don't know if this one is re-opening.

Very expensive place to shop though

Bill
03-29-2013, 07:45 AM   #19
Veteran Member

The website is up now, not a good start on pricing.

K5-II + 18-55WR is £919 at Jessops and £809 at SRS.

K-30 black body is £559 at Jessops, £459 at SRS. So much for his "same price in shops as online" statement - if you charge enough, obviously you can do that!

03-29-2013, 08:27 AM   #20

Original Poster
I am still getting the splash screen
03-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #21
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dave L Quote

K-30 black body is £559 at Jessops, £459 at SRS. So much for his "same price in shops as online" statement - if you charge enough, obviously you can do that!
SRS has been the best Pentax brick and mortar store in south of UK. The only concurence they seem to have (depending on what you are after) is ffordes from up north in Scotland.
With prices like these new Jessops won't do hole to the K mount world and they'll have to rely on good sales of mainstream brands...just like the old Jessops
03-29-2013, 10:51 AM   #22

Original Poster
Clifton Cameras are very good for Pentax too. It's who I got my K-30. I got my old K-x from Curry's who still seem to have a healthy stock of Pentax.

03-31-2013, 08:39 PM   #23
Forum Member

You guys seem to have a healthy amount of camera shops. Around me we have large B+M stores like Best Buy and they arent selling Pentax. Target has got a great p+s collection though.
04-03-2013, 04:32 AM   #24
Forum Member

I bought my k30 and a 18-55wr, and a 55-300 plus a lot od accessories from Jessops. They were expensive but you could generally negotiate, i got some thing like £150 off my k30 and all the accessories. I wish them all the best
04-03-2013, 04:51 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Pentax has (and always had) a very tight business model. There has never been a glut of Pentax models. Go and look at Nikon's website - Nikon | Imaging Products | Digital SLR Cameras

There are 15 Nikon DSLRS to choose from. 20 if you count the colors and the "E" versions of the bodies. 20 DSLRs not even counting their other cameras!!!!

As a consumer, there is no reasonable way the average person is going to spend the time and effort to understand the differences in those cameras. It's not going to happen.

Thankfully Canon is a little less bloated with around 11 DSLR cameras.

Again, that is a lot of cameras to keep track of.

Pentax has 2 DSLRs - 3 if you count the "S" version of the K5. 4 if you count the 645D, which neither Nikon or Canon have.

So from a retail perspective, it makes sense to carry Pentax. Your salespeople can talk and be trained on a MUCH smaller product line and be more competent in doing so.

Ultimately, when more and more people realize how good the Pentax line is, and how much simpler to own and recommend, it becomes a "no-brainer" to carry Pentax.

Nikon and Canon are saturating the DSLR market, and Pentax will prevail as a "Fresher" and more "Exclusive" brand.
For many colleagues the selection process is very simple - Nikon, top left and one superzoom.
04-05-2013, 07:01 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dave L Quote

Jessops are getting there pricing sorted. Now the K5 II with WR 18-55 is $799. Same package at SRS is £809.

I bought my K5 last summer from Jessops. They are one of few high st retailers which stock Pentax. At the time I could have saved a small amount by shopping online but wanted to walk into a shop and leave with the camera. Glad they are returning and will be stocking Pentax.