Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2013, 06:31 AM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
I was one of the interviewers, yes, and you're welcome.
Did you ask him if/how engaged he, Pentax USA, or Pentax Japan are with this site's community, reading posts, gauging interest in products, finding problems, etc?

I know that as things go, it can be dangerous to engage and actually post things here but it seems like there should be nothing but positives to gain from actively reading and listening to the users.

04-08-2013, 06:39 AM   #137
Pentaxian

deadwolfbones, if you were one of the interviewers, did you get the impression that Mr. Malcolm has more contacts to or even influence on the Ricohian Pentax Japanese HQ than Bunnell and his lackeys seemed to have to the Hoyan Pentax HQ (apparently very little)? People have posted how in the Ricoh organization the US vice president is working directly in the corporation and not in a daughter company as it was with Hoya.
04-08-2013, 06:43 AM   #138
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
lackeys
04-08-2013, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #139
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was one of the interviewers, yes, and you're welcome.
I also have to say 'thank you'. Of course, after the interview, you wrestled him to the floor and clubbed him with a FA 31 Ltd while screaming "FULL! FRAME! NOW!".

I have to admit, if Mr. Malcom had spoken to me about FF, 'tepid' is the response he would have gotten. I want to see everyone happy and getting the tools they need, but I can see how he got the feedback that he described. Of course, if he had only spoken to me, he would have said most Pentaxians want them to revisit the shortie zoom lens that extends into the K-01's mirror box. Everyone wants that!

04-08-2013, 07:57 AM   #140
bvg

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
after the interview, you wrestled him to the floor and clubbed him with a FA 31 Ltd while screaming "FULL! FRAME! NOW!"
It should be done!
04-08-2013, 08:34 AM   #141
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikemike Quote
Did you ask him if/how engaged he, Pentax USA, or Pentax Japan are with this site's community, reading posts, gauging interest in products, finding problems, etc?

I know that as things go, it can be dangerous to engage and actually post things here but it seems like there should be nothing but positives to gain from actively reading and listening to the users.
The only mention of the forums in the interview is the one that's quoted in the article. My impression is that they're fully aware of PF at Pentax/Ricoh USA, and there's probably someone (or multiple someones) there who monitors it. I can completely understand why they've chosen not to post/engage, though.

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
deadwolfbones, if you were one of the interviewers, did you get the impression that Mr. Malcolm has more contacts to or even influence on the Ricohian Pentax Japanese HQ than Bunnell and his lackeys seemed to have to the Hoyan Pentax HQ (apparently very little)? People have posted how in the Ricoh organization the US vice president is working directly in the corporation and not in a daughter company as it was with Hoya.
Jim worked at Ricoh as a consultant before taking over the USA division, so I would assume that his ties to the mother company go a lot deeper than Ned's did with Hoya. I can't really speculate on the degree of influence he wields in Japan, though.
04-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #142
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The only mention of the forums in the interview is the one that's quoted in the article. My impression is that they're fully aware of PF at Pentax/Ricoh USA, and there's probably someone (or multiple someones) there who monitors it. I can completely understand why they've chosen not to post/engage, though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #143
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Hidden content may not be quoted
Well, there you go.

04-08-2013, 08:50 AM   #144
ogl
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Hidden content may not be quoted
where is any real result of such communication?
04-08-2013, 10:17 AM   #145
Pentaxian

Original Poster
What kind of result are you looking for, ogl?
04-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #146
ogl
Pentaxian

ANY

I think that Keiretsu is basically the problem of the Japanese economy. Mafia clans.
Japanese economy is in deep stagnation now. In general, the things are bad.
I think that the FF will be, but when and which - it's the result of decisions between the senior leaders within keiretsu.

The launch of a new product, that has already been offered by one company of the clan, is the serious thing.

That's why the product should be released in the most artful form - the wolves are sated and the sheep intact. Unusual, maybe.

Not to compete really. They are trying to fool us and bulling us for many years.
In fact they are trying to form a consumer's opinion to fit their needs, and the consumer is just the consumer of product.

The customer may believe that his opinion carries weight and his opinion is taken into consideration - this is the art of marketing.
But actually the company releases the products which they need and which is necessary for photo market from financial and economic point of view.
No any romanticism here.
The Golden Calf World.

P.S. I don't care about photo equipment at all. I have almost all I want. But I've paid too much money to Pentax and Ricoh.
Full Frame is good, but I can live with APS-C... I think about the prospects of Pentax Ricoh's progress.

It could be the way of stylish gadgets to the detriment of serious cameras...Or it could be another way.
But I don't see THE WAY at all. From HOYA's time. Nothing is changed. I don't see the strategy of company.

If they think that Q is the good move and main direction of work, I don't think so...It's just P&S high end compact camera line and nothing else.
If they think that DA limited prime line is closed, I don't think that it's good idea to close of DA limited primes...
If they think that K-01 is dead end, I don't think so...
If they think that XS line of lenses is no good move, I don't think so...
If they think that Pentax FF camera is not necessary, I don't think so...
If they think that GXR system is deadlock too, I don't think so...

and e.t.c.

I'm sure that the communication with Pentaxians is just the part of marketing.

Last edited by ogl; 04-08-2013 at 09:37 PM.
04-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #147
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
"Pentaxian" doesn't mean "FF-lover", so I'm not saying that. I'm afraid though that those who really needed/wanted a FF and were able to afford it jumped ship.
Please note that I'll go (Pentax) FF even if I don't need one. But if I did, I'd be now a Nikonian.

Pentax' lack of success, market-share wise, cannot be solely explained by the lack of a FF camera. Even with APS-C only, I'd say their position could've been much stronger.
There's a lot of APS-C users.

A lot of those APS-C users will purchase the brand the pro's use, the brand the clerk recommends, the brand they aspire to.

Without a higher-end model to plan for, they won't consider Pentax, even if they might tire of their hobby and never arrive at FF.

For what it's worth, I'm not purchasing any more Pentax glass/bodies right now. I'll wait a couple of years. By then I might've sold my Pentax gear.
04-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #148
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

I've just picked up a K-5 IIs. To me, it'll be as good as APS-C can get. Resolution isn't a sticking point as 16Mp is plenty room to crop if necessary. But a FF option means SNR and DoF versatility one can invest in whilst still using the same lenses that brought quality photography in the APS-C cameras. A 645 upgrade path may as well be a total shift in systems given the different mount. A K-mount FF, however is a path amenable to carrying over from APS-C, if there are FF compatible lenses in the collection. For those with FA and more legacy lenses, this is a logical progression.
04-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #149
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
ANY

I think that Keiretsu is basically the problem of the Japanese economy. Mafia clans.
Japanese economy is in deep stagnation now. In general, the things are bad.
I think that the FF will be, but when and which - it's the result of decisions between the senior leaders within keiretsu..

I wonder whether this is the time when we'll talk about alien (extraterrestrial) influence on the decision when a Pentax FF will be launched?
So far we have all them lined up:

- Pentax users since 1960s
- Pentax users introduced to the brand a few years ago
- PF members, and members of their families and friends of their families
- all other online forums members
- photography clubs members
- online journalists and website moderators
- Pentax USA representatives
- IMF, US and European Economy
- Chinese market and economy
- Japanese Keiretsu
- Alphacentaurians .. ?

Last edited by Uluru; 04-09-2013 at 01:18 AM.
04-08-2013, 11:18 PM   #150
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I myself am looking for a result in the form of a single-word answer to a straight-forward question: confirmation about the GXR continuation, yes or no.

I don't buy the notion of a need for secrecy around the release of any new GXR camera body or module precluding them from answering this question. I don't need to know specifics of any new module or body. I just need to know if they plan to continue the GXR system with any new modules or updates at all or not. No details required at all, just a one-word answer will do - is the GXR system to continue with new updates? Yes or no. Result.

It's all well and good for Jim to be talking about how good Ricoh cameras are, but he's talking about models that are at best now two years old and even heading towards four years old for the GXR body and some modules with no sign of any update, upgrade or even replacement on the horizon. So is he talking about pushing the actual 2011-era GRD IV which he specifically mentions into the USA now, or is he just using that as an example of some as yet unreleased future models? I dont know. Nodoby knows. Who knows? No Ricoh user knows. We're just continually left to guess and read between the lines of answers like his.

Because all I know is there were two new GXR modules per year promised. They are now 3 behind. Plus 4, maybe even 5 of the exisiting 6 modules are due updates as well as the body itself. So that's 7 or 8 Ricoh products which have failed to appear when they should already be out on the shelves. That's all we know.

In fact, not a single Ricoh camera released in all of last year apart from the GXR Zoom which was actually delayed from its 2011 release due to the floods. Not a single new Ricoh camera since the Pentax acquisition. And still no sign of one even on the horizon.

But then they put the GXR and GRD material up at the camera shows this year, showcasing all these older models and nothing new. And then the Pentax Japan guys at these shows mention 'a' (as in singular) new camera due sometime in the future which should keep the Ricoh faithful happy, and leave a gap on the show display shelf after the GRD IV where a GRD V should sit so we can guess that it's just the regularly scheduled GRD bi-annual update due this year anyway? And if it's 'a' GRD V, then what of all the other GXR cameras?

Which would have to be a fairly hefty upgrade to the GRD, not just a minor update. So for me it's actually a worry that the new Pentax 'Ricoh' guy in the USA is talking about making moves with the 2011-era GRD IV because it's so good, when in fact it 'was' the best but no longer because the camera is now as out of date as any other 1/1.7" sensor enthusiast compact since the advent of the larger-sensored Sony RX100 and now the Nikon A. There is gossip about an APSC version GRD V or maybe even a 1" version, but that's all it is - gossip - and him talking now in April 2013 about the 1/1.7" GRD IV as if it's still the best on the market makes any such such gossip look unfounded.

And then in the next paragraph he talks of all the Ricoh engineers being absorbed into the Pentax teams to amalgamate all their know-how into Pentax cameras. So what does that actually mean for Ricoh cameras themselves, is this actually confirmation of no more GXR? Yes or no? Who knows? Just as with every other interview since the acquisition, we're left none the wiser by any of the answers when it comes to the future of Ricoh cameras.