Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2013, 11:49 PM   #271
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I guess your hands are very different then mine. The X-pro felt like something from the 70's to me. Lets not bring that era back. Thriftshops are filled to the brim with **** for people who like to live in the past.
Compared to any Pentax body from 1970s-80s, K-01 looks like a brick. A total, unimaginative, piece of brick, that works only with a selected number of lenses reasonably well. From that perspective alone, the functionality of a classic body that can mount any lens and perform well, use far superior OVF, is thus far greater. It's better by default.
K-01 is, and was, a waste of money for Pentax, and the fact it was cancelled nearly after a year of its introduction testifies that even its maker wanted to abandon it as soon as possible.

04-20-2013, 02:50 AM   #272
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Not sure what the heck that means ?
Just more Pentax-bashing.
04-20-2013, 02:52 AM   #273
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Who buys these fugly retro styled ergonomic disasters anyway? I won't touch those with 10 foot pole.
I call it 'deceased-estate sale'. The sort of old film camera you'd find in an old man's belongings after he's passed away..
04-20-2013, 10:04 AM   #274
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I believe Jim is going to have an interview on Pop Photo radio at 10am PT in the US (Entertainment Radio Network | Entertainment Radio Network). Will anyone be listening in?
Trying to listen now. So far, 5 minutes of ads (not Pentax BTW) and nothing else.......

04-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #275
Pentaxian

After the break.
L.E. And... it's over. Surprisingly, he didn't said anything about Ricoh's most secret plans

Last edited by Kunzite; 04-20-2013 at 10:30 AM.
04-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #276

just heard the last 5 minutes, just crap.

anything interesting?
04-20-2013, 10:31 AM   #277
Site Supporter

GR - apsc sensor - world smallest and lightest apsc cam - sensors as light gatherer - street camera size important to have with you always

pentax history - me, k1000 - rugged - large part of Pentax community are those who have used and learned on the legacy film cams

social media changing photography f/ documentation to communication - trigger to buy new camera - what can new cam do what mobile ph can't do - interchangeable lenses help w/ creativity

no talk about DSLR's or future of Pentax (not fault of Malcom I don't think - host didn't seem to want to talk about other issues)
04-20-2013, 11:30 AM   #278
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
GR - apsc sensor - world smallest and lightest apsc cam - sensors as light gatherer - street camera size important to have with you always

pentax history - me, k1000 - rugged - large part of Pentax community are those who have used and learned on the legacy film cams

social media changing photography f/ documentation to communication - trigger to buy new camera - what can new cam do what mobile ph can't do - interchangeable lenses help w/ creativity

no talk about DSLR's or future of Pentax (not fault of Malcom I don't think - host didn't seem to want to talk about other issues)
Thanks, I got pulled away in the first few minutes before Malcolm was on. One thing though, when you talk to the media go in with a message and stick to it. Doesn't sound like he went in with a significant message......I'll listen to the podcast when they post it (usually on Mondays BTW).

04-20-2013, 01:02 PM   #279
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Thanks, I got pulled away in the first few minutes before Malcolm was on. One thing though, when you talk to the media go in with a message and stick to it. Doesn't sound like he went in with a significant message......I'll listen to the podcast when they post it (usually on Mondays BTW).
It seems the host was most interested in the new release which is typical. There were 3 or 4 questions related to the GR and then one of the other guests mentioned his first camera was an ME Super and that's how Pentax's long history in photography came in. I think Malcom could have tied in DSLR ruggedness into this part of the conversation since they were talking about how solid old Pentax cams were - it might have appeared forced or scripted, but so what? If you're in sales, you get your points in when you can especially if a door is left open...

But Malcom was on a cell phone, and there's always that lag/overlap part of conversations that make them disjointed and less smooth compared to being there in person or talking on a land line.

Well at least some exposure is better than none...
04-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #280
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Good work vagrant. Thanks. It's still positive they're thinking about the future of photography. Not addressing the higher end products was probably on purpose.
04-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #281
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Compared to any Pentax body from 1970s-80s, K-01 looks like a brick. A total, unimaginative, piece of brick, that works only with a selected number of lenses reasonably well. From that perspective alone, the functionality of a classic body that can mount any lens and perform well, use far superior OVF, is thus far greater. It's better by default.
K-01 is, and was, a waste of money for Pentax, and the fact it was cancelled nearly after a year of its introduction testifies that even its maker wanted to abandon it as soon as possible.
List the DA and FA lenses it doesn't work with. Also, list some of the A and M and k lenses for that matter.
04-20-2013, 02:14 PM   #282
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
List the DA and FA lenses it doesn't work with. Also, list some of the A and M and k lenses for that matter.
I wasn't going to bother defending my little gem since it doesn't matter any more, but since you opened hostilities, I just emailed Pentax that I must be the only person on Earth who is absolutely delighted with every aspect of my K-01. I've never tried a lens yet that won't focus, especially with FW 1.03.
04-20-2013, 03:22 PM   #283
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I wasn't going to bother defending my little gem since it doesn't matter any more, but since you opened hostilities, I just emailed Pentax that I must be the only person on Earth who is absolutely delighted with every aspect of my K-01. I've never tried a lens yet that won't focus, especially with FW 1.03.
I have a K-01 and was curious as to what he had to say.
04-20-2013, 03:52 PM   #284
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I have a K-01 and was curious as to what he had to say.
Actually he'll probably respond, and with some real information. He seems to have some substance behind his assertions much of the time.
04-20-2013, 07:07 PM   #285
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Ah, dear Gawd. Try 60-250, 50-135, any a bit heavier lens. It wrecks the whole experience. Only with a tripod you can use it, but what is the point in production of a Kmount camera that compromises the experience with a good number of its lenses.
However, being Pentax camera, it isn't without its merits. But it's a half baked, unfinished proposal.
But o boy, we are damn biased, to the point of blindness. Does it mean that if something feels okay in limited use I must clap to as a wholly successful product because it strums a few strings my ear is sensitive to? Must I be blind and insensitive to the rest of the scale?
No, it's a bias. Canon may afford such an experiment that may end in a bin before its first anniversary, buy no, I think Pentax cannot. And when one says a camera supports the Kmount, that must be a mouthfull sentence, full of meaning. No half experience, no limited experience, no jokes. In any other serious company but Pentax, K-01 would go back to a drawing board before the launch. Apple would kill it before it slips out of Jony Ive's most optimistic reverie. The product falls short in delivering the full Kmount experience end of story!

But that was Pentax before Ricoh. And I'm glad it were. As a contrast, did you see Ricoh's commitmernt with GR? See on their pages; lifecycle is 2 years. So they design a product that goes beyond the all GR experiences so far, and they design it to sell for two years without compromises! It's a diametrically different story, and that is how you do things.
Thank God we have Ricoh now in the game, to help Pentax come to some senses.
You're making decent philosophical point in terms of direction of the company, but hefting all this weight onto the 01 is strange. Clearly not your cup of tea, but it's not *that* bad. Just a peruse through the reviews on Amazon, though there are not many of them (a related matter, cleary), it's plain to see that those that have it enjoy it for some very specific reasons, all of which I understand.