Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #286
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Ah, dear Gawd. Try 60-250, 50-135, any a bit heavier lens. It wrecks the whole experience. Only with a tripod you can use it, but what is the point in production of a Kmount camera that compromises the experience with a good number of its lenses?

However, being Pentax camera, it isn't without its merits. But it's a half baked, unfinished proposal.
But o boy, we are biased, to the point of blindness. Does it mean that if something feels okay in limited use I must clap to as a wholly successful product because it strums a few strings my ear is sensitive to? Must I be blind and insensitive to the rest of the scale?

No, it's a bias. Canon may afford such an experiment that may end in a bin before its first anniversary, buy no, I think Pentax cannot afford such waste of time and money. And when one says a camera supports the Kmount, that must be a mouthfull sentence, full of meaning. No half experience, no limited experience, no jokes. In any other serious company but Pentax, K-01 would go back to the drawing board long before the launch.

Apple would kill it before it slips out of Jony Ive's most optimistic reverie. The product falls short in delivering the full iOS or MacOSX experience? Kill it before people start scratching their heads, end of story! In our case, the product falls short in delivering the full Kmount experience? Kill it before anyone knows about it end of story!

But that was Pentax before Ricoh. And I'm glad it were. As a contrast, did you see Ricoh's commitment with the GR? See on their pages; lifecycle is 2 years, constant evolution. So they design a product that goes beyond the all GR experiences so far, and they design it to sell for two years all without compromises! It's a diametrically different story, and that is how you do things.

Thank God we have Ricoh now in the game, to help Pentax come to some senses.
The question was a simple one. I get that large lenses are a problem with handling. However, that holds true if I were to use and adapter and these same lenses on a GF2. I thought you had experience with lenses not working or malfunctioning, especially with the DA ltd, FA ltd etc. which is what I was asking because that hasn't been my experience. As far as the R & D behind the K-01, that happened under the Hoya boys and they were just in it for the medical and eye wear side of things and were basically just a holding company for the photography end of things. The key thing about the K-01 was that it allowed native use retaining af with K-mount lenses and had pretty good sensor. Lastly, It is hard to access the r&d value of something based on financial success alone.

04-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #287
Loyal Site Supporter

As it turns out the K-01 isn't perfect, but as I have learned to use it, within its limitations (which were never to replace) a dSLR, I'm delighted with mine. I use it with a pancake, short zooms and all my MF K lenses, though I need a tripod or monopod for the 200/2.5. It is actually OK with the DA55~300. I shot for about an hour this evening with my new 75~150 and it is great with that lens and magnified focus peaking.

Call me an apologist or fanboy if you want - Pentax did claim every lens ever made could be mounted - but within its limitations and for my special visual needs the K-01 is a nice camera.
04-21-2013, 12:27 PM   #288

I am still waiting for this " its a hoya thing"-BS to be worn out.
How long is it since the merger? 18 Month ? 20 Month?

Ricoh has to put something on the table pretty fast and i mean something which clearly isnt just some "Hoya-Leftover"

In my opinion ricoh should have paused every development and should have communicated that and after 3-6 Month come out with a really good, reliable Roadmap and start there.

Right now Pentax has lost its credibility to me, look at this threads where P-Reps didnt show up, or we a told that infact nobody wants an FF, nothing new on the DC-Lens-Front.....

I mean, they could have just remade every ( or most) of their lenses with their "super fast DC".
04-21-2013, 12:32 PM   #289
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mehlsack Quote
Right now Pentax has lost its credibility to me, look at this threads where P-Reps didnt show up, or we a told that infact nobody wants an FF, nothing new on the DC-Lens-Front...
As it turns out RockvilleBob went back to Ace Photo this morning and spoke with management - he had won a Door Prize and he went to pick it up. He asked about the Pentax No-Show and he updated the thread with the answer..

The Pentax Rep was in Boston, which was on total lockdown (no trains, no taxis, no buses, no flights, persons strongly advised to stay indoors) due to the search for the Boston Marathon bombers, and his flight was canceled. The Ace Photo salesman who said they hadn't seen a Pentax Rep in two years was just plain wrong.

04-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #290

intresting coincidence, the P-Rep exactly has to fly from the only airport which is shut down by a terroristic attack

Well mobile phone havent worked either i suppose
Well in Germany/Europe it isnt better, so i should just shut up...
04-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #291
Loyal Site Supporter

Well mobile phone havent worked either i suppose
We're not allowed to make political comments in this sub-Forum, but the situation in Boston was highly unusual. I don't think anything like it has happened here since 9/11. In photos from Boston during the middle of the business day there was not a single person or vehicle on the street - not ONE - in the busiest sections of downtown.

I believe the Rep did call - the store was jammed and the OP was only able to speak to one salesman. That one salesman, who made the statement about the Pentax Rep, was just plain wrong.
04-21-2013, 01:05 PM   #292

i didnt mean that there hasnt been a problem in boston,

But i dont see the connection between the P-Rep and Boston.
i just think its a bit too convinient for an excuse.
04-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #293
Loyal Site Supporter

i didnt mean that there hasnt been a problem in boston,

But i dont see the connection between the P-Rep and Boston.
i just think its a bit too convinient for an excuse.
PRAC doesn't really have many Rep's here in the USA. He was probably in Boston calling on another customer (or maybe lives there) and had his travel all arranged to be in Washington the next day. I am called on by rep's who do similar - one city today, fly out that afternoon, next city tomorrow, etc. Weather delays and flight cancellations can ruin their entire schedules.

I see no reason to doubt, especially since the explanation comes from Ace Photo, not Pentax.

04-21-2013, 01:28 PM   #294

Ok, i think thats the part where we dont come to the same conclussion.

It doesnt matter anyways, there are enough problems which made me hold any further investments into pentax (which i really regret because right now i really really would like to buy some expensive stuff)
04-21-2013, 02:29 PM   #295
Pentaxian

Ricoh has to put something on the table pretty fast and i mean something which clearly isnt just some "Hoya-Leftover"

In my opinion ricoh should have paused every development and should have communicated that and after 3-6 Month come out with a really good, reliable Roadmap and start there.

Right now Pentax has lost its credibility to me, look at this threads where P-Reps didnt show up, or we a told that infact nobody wants an FF, nothing new on the DC-Lens-Front.....

I mean, they could have just remade every ( or most) of their lenses with their "super fast DC".
18 months, and about 6 from Photokina. Which is not much, really, given what happened and the state they were in.
Pausing development won't help speeding things up, you know? Only if they/we would need roadmaps more than real products... which I doubt it's the case.

Yeah, Pentax lost its credibility because they couldn't meet some random wishes made by a complete outsider. It's also interesting how you're using the Pentax USA imaginary situation, yet you're located in Germany...
04-21-2013, 03:08 PM - 1 Like   #296

funny, how you try to pull that argument to a personal level

18 Month ?

That is an COMPLETE update cycle for most technological devices.

The arcitectural planning of a big commercial building is done with around the same time.
Big Grid-Providers ( Areva, ABB, GE, AEG etc.) can plan AND construct a whole grid-node/substation in this timetable.
Another example ?
The beijing aquatic center ( swimming pool for 2008 olympics) has been planned and designed in less then 3 month.

"My random wishes" arent that random compared to other companies or other people here in this exact forum. So i might not be alone with them.

Ok, because iam located in germany, i cant write anything about any other place in the world? Maybe one of the locals should explaing how the real situation differs from what i have written.

The Roadmap itself is useless, you are right, but it means that there should be more communication, even a one-directional communication would be great.

For example if you look at the roadmap, what might be the differen between FA and DA ( now, in digital age), what is a DFA, does DA in roadmap means DA* or just DA ?

Edit:

Another problem i have are the BIG annoucement Pentax makes and then it "just" a mini-tweak K-5 II, or a Q-10....
Remeber the K-01? I didnt bought one, because i didnt needed one, but honestly, not many people bought them, because if they had pentax hadnt canceled this projekt this fast.
04-21-2013, 06:53 PM   #297
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
18 months, and about 6 from Photokina. Which is not much, really, given what happened and the state they were in.
Pausing development won't help speeding things up, you know? Only if they/we would need roadmaps more than real products... which I doubt it's the case.

<snip>
It's not uncommon for an acquiring company to pause some development projects while it investigates the acquisition (there are almost always surprises after the deal closes - ask Meg Whitman at HP) and re-sets priorities or changes development processes. One goal is to speed up the development of those seen as urgent.

Don't know if it happened here but I wouldn't be surprised if FF were put on hold while Ricoh developed a long-term strategy or hurried the Q series, K-30, etc.
04-21-2013, 07:06 PM   #298
Site Supporter

The fact is though, the K-01 was in the works by Hoya when Ricoh took over as was the K-30. The K-5s and sii were probably Ricoh tweaks.
04-21-2013, 11:40 PM   #299
Pentaxian

funny, how you try to pull that argument to a personal level

18 Month ?

That is an COMPLETE update cycle for most technological devices.

The arcitectural planning of a big commercial building is done with around the same time.
Big Grid-Providers ( Areva, ABB, GE, AEG etc.) can plan AND construct a whole grid-node/substation in this timetable.
Another example ?
The beijing aquatic center ( swimming pool for 2008 olympics) has been planned and designed in less then 3 month.

"My random wishes" arent that random compared to other companies or other people here in this exact forum. So i might not be alone with them.

Ok, because iam located in germany, i cant write anything about any other place in the world? Maybe one of the locals should explaing how the real situation differs from what i have written.

The Roadmap itself is useless, you are right, but it means that there should be more communication, even a one-directional communication would be great.

For example if you look at the roadmap, what might be the differen between FA and DA ( now, in digital age), what is a DFA, does DA in roadmap means DA* or just DA ?

Edit:

Another problem i have are the BIG annoucement Pentax makes and then it "just" a mini-tweak K-5 II, or a Q-10....
Remeber the K-01? I didnt bought one, because i didnt needed one, but honestly, not many people bought them, because if they had pentax hadnt canceled this projekt this fast.
Yeah, we can find example of things that took less than 18 months; but I doubt those big Grid-Providers can keep the same pace right after being sold/bought, integrated with another division, their activity/ongoing projects/whatever dissected and a new strategy formulated.
Besides, I'd rather see examples from the camera world. As you're giving some extreme examples of things that took less than 18 months, I could easily come up with others, that took much longer; this proves nothing.

And if we're using examples from the camera world, things are getting interesting:
- Nikon D7000 (2010) - D7100 (2013): 2.5 years
- Nikon D300 (2007) - Nikon D300s (2009) - Nikon D400? (not released yet)
- Canon 60D (2010) - Canon 70D? (not released yet)
- Canon 7D (2009) - Canon ??? (not released yet)
IMHO, Pentax is not that late

Nope, I'll still call them random wishes (to make clear the degree of accuracy involved ). They're done by people with no connection to the actual process, they reflect what one subjectively wants to happen instead of what realistically can be done (which is not known), and includes desired but absolutely made up milestones when things are "supposed" to happen. It's a common thing, in certain industries

Of course you can write about Pentax USA, and I'm doing it as well from time to time. But you must admit that a non-US citizen claiming how Pentax "lost credibility" because their US subsidiary couldn't get a rep at a certain US store has some irony in it.

The BIG announcement was just a made-up rumor, right? In other words, one of these random wishes.
The K-01... my feeling is that Hoya put too little money on that, so it had to be a DSLR stripped down of its PDAF and reflex viewfinder.
04-21-2013, 11:54 PM   #300

Well to answer all your stuff:

1. Yes, for some companies it is a "standart" procedure to work that fast.

2. Right, but as far as we know the mentioned companies ( Nikon, Canon) did release a lot other stuff in addition to that.

3. so everything which is not done by pentax, is per se not realistic, so the people asking for it are unrealsitic.
--> the "made up" milestones, are made on an individual bases, for example a person who wants to buy something new till this fall, will have a different deadline then someone who wants to buy something after finishing his graduation in 2 years.

4. I can give you at least 2 first hand examples from pentax Germany / Europe, which are quite embarrassing as well.

5.with big annoucments i mean all this comments in Interviews where pentax reps or employees talked about ALL the interesting stuff which is about to be released...

Last edited by Mehlsack; 04-22-2013 at 12:01 AM.