Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2013, 12:03 AM   #301
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote

And if we're using examples from the camera world, things are getting interesting:
- Nikon D7000 (2010) - D7100 (2013): 2.5 years
- Nikon D300 (2007) - Nikon D300s (2009) - Nikon D400? (not released yet)
- Canon 60D (2010) - Canon 70D? (not released yet)
- Canon 7D (2009) - Canon ??? (not released yet)
IMHO, Pentax is not that late
Nikon:
— D3, D3s, D3x, D4
— D700, D800, D800e, D600
— D7100
— 2nd and 3rd generation/iteration of most popular lenses
— SB-700 and SB-910 flashes

Pentax:
— nothing (that matches those above during the same timeframe)

:-)

But that is why we all love Pentax and sending them waves of positive cosmic energy to succeed!

Last edited by Uluru; 04-22-2013 at 12:12 AM.
04-22-2013, 12:13 AM   #302
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The BIG announcement was just a made-up rumor, right? In other words, one of these random wishes.
Those made-up rumors that surface from time to time, end up in big disappointments. Other real "official" leaks, Like the NINE new products last year, get inflated beyond Pentaxs capabilities. Both hurt Pentax, by raising expectations extremely high, and then being let down with the real "announcement" or just complete silence. It's easy to say that those rumors should be ignored, but that gets harder and harder. Even for the people that have learned by now that there won't be anything substantial. But if Pentax was more open in their communication to their market, then such announcements would never reach any credibility, and would never hurt Pentax in the first place. A clear roadmap (not just lenses, but also cameras) would discredit any rumors created by whishfull thinkers. And it would prevent other announcements from being needlessly inflated.

In other words: It's better for them to take control theirselves and set a certain bar, and then meeting it or overachieving it by even a tiny amount, then to let rumors run completely wild, never able to meet the expectations those rumors create.
04-22-2013, 12:31 AM   #303
Pentaxian

2. Nikon and Canon were first to release DSLR products in 2013; so what? That puts Pentax behind by... 1-2 months?

3. "so everything which is not done by pentax, is per se not realistic" - what's that supposed to mean?
I thought I was clear: we can't decide when things should happen, because we don't have any information (both regarding the actual process of making a camera/lens, and Pentax' internal situation). We cannot estimate when a new DSLR should be ready; we can only wish for it.

4. As embarrassing as a rep not being able to leave Boston, because of circumstances out of his control?

5. Of course they would talk about interesting stuff. You can't possibly expect them to join the Pentax-bashing crowd by saying "we will launch some products at Photokina... don't expect much, they'll be quite uninteresting; some minor updates, a coating nobody is caring about and a very expensive lens; and WHERE IS MY FF???"?
In fact I think that Photokina wasn't too bad, given the circumstances; a nice update to an already excellent camera, an advanced coating I hope to see in many mid and high-end lenses and the long promised "telephoto" lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
Nikon:
D3, D3s, D3x, D4
— D700, D800, D800e, D600
— D7100
— 2nd and 3rd generation/iteration of most popular lenses
— SB-700 and SB-910 flashes

Pentax:
— nothing (that matches those above during the same timeframe)

:-)

But that is why we all love Pentax and sending them waves of positive cosmic energy to succeed!
What an extreme display of random wishes.
If you want (and can afford) D4-level cameras and lenses, why are you still with Pentax?

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Those made-up rumors that surface from time to time, end up in big disappointments. Other real "official" leaks, Like the NINE new products last year, get inflated beyond Pentaxs capabilities. Both hurt Pentax, by raising expectations extremely high, and then being let down with the real "announcement" or just complete silence.
Indeed, we made up rumors and then we're disappointed because they're fake
04-22-2013, 12:42 AM - 1 Like   #304
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What an extreme display of random wishes.
If you want (and can afford) D4-level cameras and lenses, why are you still with Pentax?
So what was your point above exactly, by stating other companies are equally "slow in delivering"?
It seems you like chasing your own tail and finishing the chase with arbitrary and irrelevant conclusions, without any point whatsoever.

04-22-2013, 12:46 AM   #305

even if you ignore the D3-League this things are quite impressiv.
And honest, 2k € was a possible price for a APC-S Flagship and it is a possible price point for a good FF-DSLR...

Of course we dont know what pentax is doing and how long they do need for anything. But the problem is that everybody else seems to work faster

And like clavius said, for me its mainly about the communication, or the absence of it.
04-22-2013, 01:16 AM   #306
Veteran Member

Indeed, we made up rumors and then we're disappointed because they're fake
Well I'm not guilty of making up rumors... But I am guilty of whishfull thinking: believing in rumors even though I know they're fake.
04-22-2013, 01:23 AM   #307
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mehlsack Quote
Of course we dont know what pentax is doing and how long they do need for anything. But the problem is that everybody else seems to work faster.
Well, everybody else is bigger, so it is to be expected that they can be faster. Pentax should work harder and smarter. Colaborating more. Like they did with Samsung, that did them some good, while it lasted.

04-22-2013, 02:01 AM   #308
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Uluru Quote
So what was your point above exactly, by stating other companies are equally "slow in delivering"?
It seems you like chasing your own tail and finishing the chase with arbitrary and irrelevant conclusions, without any point whatsoever.
I never stated that. If you make up arbitrary things, no wonder you can't understand my point...
Of course Pentax is slower; they are releasing products with a lower frequency than the much larger, not disrupted by mergers/buyouts top 2 companies. I would not state otherwise. Yet even those 2 cannot fulfill all their customers' wishes; and they aren't communicating better than Pentax.

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Well, everybody else is bigger, so it is to be expected that they can be faster. Pentax should work harder and smarter. Colaborating more. Like they did with Samsung, that did them some good, while it lasted.
Agree, up to the Samsung collaboration - which IMHO didn't help much. Yes, they got a sensor thus probably were able to avoid waiting for the Sony one... and that's about it (am I wrong?).
Samsung collaborated so well they were preparing an entire new system behind their back.
04-22-2013, 02:13 AM   #309
Veteran Member

Agree, up to the Samsung collaboration - which IMHO didn't help much. Yes, they got a sensor thus probably were able to avoid waiting for the Sony one... and that's about it (am I wrong?).
Samsung collaborated so well they were preparing an entire new system behind their back.
All I know is that it was good marketing for Pentax, that generated some profit for them at the same time. For once, pentax products seemed to be so good, that another brand wanted to put it's name on it. Moreover, a second brand using the K-mount system was good for it's popularity. I'm not saying it was a concequence of that collaboration, but at that time, Pentax was in all the camera shops here in Holland, Belgium, France and Germany.

I don't know if it was behind their backs or not. As far as I know, Samsung wanted to move forward into mirrorless, whilst Pentax wanted to remain SLR-centric. But that's just what I've been told.