Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 52 Likes Search this Thread
04-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
Veteran Member

An interview with Pentax Executive Vice President Jim Malcolm

Hi guys,

Just wanted to share this interview with Jim Malcolm, Ned Bunnell's replacement at Pentax/Ricoh.

An Interview with Pentax Executive Vice President Jim Malcolm - DigitalCameraInfo.com

Hope you enjoy.

04-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Disappointing. Seems to be focusing on bricks and mortar stores again in this interview. There AREN'T many left. We've seen the comments here that PF members made to him and his summary of what he's heard from our community doesn't square with what folks have said here. This is depressing.

Fair Use quote:

"I turn that information over to our sales department and I get our sales guys moving on refining what we’re doing in the stores or soliciting new business so we can expand it. I would say in fiscal year 2013 the majority of our effort is to focus on rebuilding our distribution channel primarily starting with those dealers who can sell an ecosystem of Pentax products. We are not interested simply in selling main models and competing on price."

He also said this:
"The next phase, he says, is to "find people who have abandoned the brand" and figure out why that happened."

Last edited by Docrwm; 04-04-2013 at 05:31 PM.
04-04-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Maybe the transcript got it wrong, but he seems to think that Best Buy is a photo specialty store
04-04-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Hi guys,

Just wanted to share this interview with Jim Malcolm, Ned Bunnell's replacement at Pentax/Ricoh.

An Interview with Pentax Executive Vice President Jim Malcolm - DigitalCameraInfo.com

Hope you enjoy.
Actually what I got out of this interview is that we have not yet seen a Pentax camera or lens released that was not in development before the Pentax/Ricoh merger took place.

Possibly the next releases will begin to see where the synergy of the Pentax/Ricoh merger is starting to emerge. I'm looking forward to what comes out of the merger.

Regards

Chris Stpne

04-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Maybe the transcript got it wrong, but he seems to think that Best Buy is a photo specialty store
I think that's just the awkward wording you get when you're talking off the cuff. There's plenty of that throughout the interview.

What I got from it is that he's saying diversified stores like Walmart and Target are possibly more important than stores that specifically cater to electronics like Best Buy, which are themselves more important than specialty stores.
04-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Well, maybe the focus on B&M stores is because most people who buy cameras want to pick them up first? Pentax USA has almost no physical presence in stores, whether they are camera-dedicated or electronics-oriented, or just "big box" (though it was nice to see the Target-exclusive WG-10). Sure, we'd love to hear about full-frame and Q20's and K-01 successors, but his job is to make money in that big sales territory he commands, and that market isn't seeing Pentax.
04-04-2013, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Well, maybe the focus on B&M stores is because most people who buy cameras want to pick them up first? Pentax USA has almost no physical presence in stores, whether they are camera-dedicated or electronics-oriented, or just "big box" (though it was nice to see the Target-exclusive WG-10).
Perhaps, but the dedicated camera store is as rare as hens teeth in most of the USA.

I like the comment from the interviewer at the end of the article:

"We're not convinced that the demand for a full-frame Pentax DSLR is as tepid as Jim claims. Rumors have swirled for years about such a camera, creating increasing frustration and hope in equal parts."

And finally: "For some end-user reports about conversations with Jim, take a gander at this 24-page discussion thread at pentaxforums.com."

Love that plug for this old place too!

04-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Personally, I agree with him. I don't care about FF. I care about size, weight, and good qualty primes (ie, Limiteds). That's why I'm here. I'll also say that if my local Kansas City Best Buy or Target had a Q for me to handle, I probably would have bought it. For such an interesting item, I'd really like to see/handle one before I buy, even if they're only $250 new. So I think he's right on that count, too... Pentax needs to be available in local stores like Best Buy or Target.
04-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You're welcome.

edit: @Docwrm
04-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks for the link. It was very interesting.

A Pentax Rep was at my local camera store a week or two ago. My local camera store stopped selling Pentax dslr cameras a few years ago. I believe it was when Pentax started the unreasonable for the store mininium yearly sales limit. Anyhow the Pentax Rep had a white K30 with him and the salesmen loved the camera. So just maybe I will be able to buy Pentax dslr cameras at my local camera store in the future.

Dave
04-04-2013, 06:27 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Disappointing. Seems to be focusing on bricks and mortar stores again in this interview. There AREN'T many left.
Every larger city has at least one of them that's not doing badly and it wouldn't hurt to have a strong presence in these.
Quite the opposite, it hurts not to have a presence. There are plenty of people, especially beginners, who need someone to explain them their new tool.
The K30 and the upcoming model will be perfect for beginners feature wise. Easy to sell.
Take a K30 in your hands and compare it to what the competition offers.
Selling a lot of entry to mid-range body + kit lenses = a lot of money for further R&D while also establishing potentially loyal customers in the future.

Besides, it's not like they're abandoning the internet.
04-04-2013, 06:56 PM   #12
Pentaxian

MAP pricing means they've abandoned selling lenses on the internet.
04-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Perhaps, but the dedicated camera store is as rare as hens teeth in most of the USA.
In my metro area there are 3. I belong to several photo meetups / groups here and almost everyone in those groups uses a Canon or Nikon purchased in a B&M. The head salesman of one of those B&Ms told me he would like to carry Pentax but he hasn't been able to sell them in the past. Of course this salesman, who is a "professional photographer", didn't know what a parfocal or varifocal lens was, and didn't know that IF lenses were only at their full focal length at infinity focus. So I don't know why everyone at the meetup thinks he's so great...
04-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
In my metro area there are 3. I belong to several photo meetups / groups here and almost everyone in those groups uses a Canon or Nikon purchased in a B&M. The head salesman of one of those B&Ms told me he would like to carry Pentax but he hasn't been able to sell them in the past. Of course this salesman, who is a "professional photographer", didn't know what a parfocal or varifocal lens was, and didn't know that IF lenses were only at their full focal length at infinity focus. So I don't know why everyone at the meetup thinks he's so great...
I can usually get good answers from Adorama or B&H. The only drawback to me of using them as my main sources (other than our Marketplace) is that I can not touch the item first. So far that has not been a huge issue for me but I know it is for many (most?).

Newbies do not search out the few hidden dedicated camera only stores to buy their entry-level dSLR. That is why I was really happy to hear that Pentax was showing up in Costco and Target. Sadly, Target is only carrying P&S cameras in store. When I returned a Q to them (long story) at the store the guys in the camera department had to look online to "confirm" Target carried them. MAP doesn't sell anything. But, having a GREAT kit at the entry level, like back in the K-x days with the 18-55 & 55-300, at a killer price (again like back in the K-x days) that is in places like WalMart, Target, Costco, Office Depot, etc. puts Pentax cameras into the consumers hands.
04-04-2013, 07:44 PM   #15
Pentaxian

It must be a bit different up here. I see Canon low end dslr's in Walmart, and London Drugs has a very good camera displays at all the stores I've seen. They have a full line of Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Pentax and Sony dslr's as well as point and shoots. The last store I was in had some Sigma lenses for Pentax mount. As well there are stores in the larger cities. I'm in the middle of nowhere so I'm stuck with online purchases. I doubt if you would get online purchases if the name isn't at places where people see cameras.