Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 52 Likes Search this Thread
04-05-2013, 08:20 AM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
At this time it is not clear to me that Pentax has the volume or will ever have the volume to earn a profit directly from a Full Frame camera system. That doesn't mean they will not choose to intentionally lose money on such a system for 2nd derivative business reasons, but losing money on a product category is a strategic choice - a business risk - not a tactical product decision.
Regardless, I would support their efforts

04-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Regardless, I would support their efforts
They might sell it at a premium price, like the Q when it was introduced.
04-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #33
Pentaxian

I doubt they would. In any case, I could go for the lenses first; I'm in no hurry.
04-05-2013, 08:27 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Pentax can definitely sell a lot of cameras in the DSLR market below the K-30 if they get the right combo of price and features. The Rebel T3 is absolute crap even compared to the three-generations-old K-x, and the Nikon D3200's worth rides almost entirely on its 24MP sensor.

04-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
But the problem is that Nikon and Canon have a particularly hard grip on this marked segment, something they have had for decades long before digital. Pentax cannot hope to have the same percentage of their user base to use FF as Nikon and Canon have.
They also have a hard grip on the APS-C (note Pentax's low single digit marketshare)...are you saying that Pentax should leave the APS market as well and only enter mirrorless??
04-05-2013, 08:37 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
They also have a hard grip on the APS-C (note Pentax's low single digit marketshare)...are you saying that Pentax should leave the APS market as well and only enter mirrorless??
Yes, but the mirrorless market is in a strong grip of Sony, Nikon, Panasonic and Olympus!
04-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
Yes, but the mirrorless market is in a strong grip of Sony, Nikon, Panasonic and Olympus!
I agree...my point was, you can't shy away from competitors and only play in your own sandbox. If you look to hard for a niche, you will end up with a product no one will want.

04-05-2013, 09:26 AM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Malcolm interview:
...in our most exciting category, which is the Q.
Please! When this toy came out, I hated the idea of fly dropping sized sensor in a MILC. Now I can see that some obscure uses such as digiscoping could use a camera like this. But "most exciting category"? What the heck is he smoking?
04-05-2013, 09:28 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Of course not. The volume of APS is much higher. Pentax makes 100 000's of APS DSLR's a year; a million isn't impossible. Pentax share of the DSLR marked together with FF's share of the same market clearly speaks of a few thousand units of a Pentax FF model....
04-05-2013, 09:31 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Quote
He seems to be saying that if you want full frame you should switch systems. While it is probably true that the majority of users do not want or need full frame, it is also true that the majority of users do not spend much on camera gear. The type of customer who wants full frame is also the type of customer who spends a lot on lenses and other gear. One high-spending enthusiast can generate far higher profits for a company than five or more "typical" consumers who buy a low-end body and one or two consumer zooms. Pentax should focus less on the typical consumer and more on the minority of consumers who purchase the bulk of the more-expensive gear with higher profit margins. This executive seems quite happy to let the high-spending consumers defect to Canon and Nikon. We all know that a lot of high-spending forum participants have followed this path. It's nice that he wants to study them, but he seems hell-bent on accelerating the process.

Ugh!!

Dan
On a variable cost basis, you are correct. On a full book cost basis, which matters the most, the high-spending FF buyer may be a negative-profit customer. It all depends on how many FF cameras you ultimate can spread the fixed costs over.
04-05-2013, 09:34 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
Please! When this toy came out, I hated the idea of fly dropping sized sensor in a MILC. Now I can see that some obscure uses such as digiscoping could use a camera like this. But "most exciting category"? What the heck is he smoking?
Well, the Q10 opens up completely new avenues for creative photography. It is very exciting. I might even get one!
Compared to a FF camera a Q10 with my FA* 200/4 macro will have the magnification of 1100mm lens and being able to shoot 5.5X life size macros! All in a unit that is very portable.
It also apperently sells well...
04-05-2013, 09:35 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Of course not. The volume of APS is much higher. Pentax makes 100 000's of APS DSLR's a year; a million isn't impossible. Pentax share of the DSLR marked together with FF's share of the same market clearly speaks of a few thousand units of a Pentax FF model....
...and pentax makes multiple APS-Cs and still languishes faaaar behind Canikon. Clearly what they are doing now is not going to get them increased marketshare.
04-05-2013, 09:39 AM   #43
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
from 250 000 till 300 000 APS-C DSLR per year.
04-05-2013, 09:58 AM - 1 Like   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The interview is telling me that I should not wait any longer for a full frame Pentax camera. Instead, I should begin my migration to another system (most likely Nikon). I've been holding off on making that move since it seemed inevitable that Pentax would join the FF market in due time. My timetable for waiting for Pentax was that I needed something by Fall of this year or 1st quarter of 2014 at the latest. I'd love to have one now.

Having handled the D800 & D600 and falling in love with the big bright viewfinder and reading where Pentax is heading, I believe that I will begin my exit from Pentax almost immediately. After 33 years with Pentax, I'm saddened by the prospect of changing systems, but waiting no longer seems to be an option.

Initially, I will buy into the Nikon FX system for my business needs and continue to use my K5 and stash of lenses for hobby use. In the long run, however, I will sell off my lenses and convert everything over to Nikon.
04-05-2013, 10:03 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by areidjr Quote
The interview is telling me that I should not wait any longer for a full frame Pentax camera. Instead, I should begin my migration to another system (most likely Nikon). I've been holding off on making that move since it seemed inevitable that Pentax would join the FF market in due time. My timetable for waiting for Pentax was that I needed something by Fall of this year or 1st quarter of 2014 at the latest. I'd love to have one now.

Having handled the D800 & D600 and falling in love with the big bright viewfinder and reading where Pentax is heading, I believe that I will begin my exit from Pentax almost immediately. After 33 years with Pentax, I'm saddened by the prospect of changing systems, but waiting no longer seems to be an option.

Initially, I will buy into the Nikon FX system for my business needs and continue to use my K5 and stash of lenses for hobby use. In the long run, however, I will sell off my lenses and convert everything over to Nikon.
Unfortunately, you are not the first, and probably not the last person that will be making that choice.

I am not a business man...but I am wondering.
Do you think that Nikon and Canon, with their D600 and 6D, set the prices of those cameras so low just to keep Sony and maybe even Pentax from being able to compete in the FF market, knowing that they could not meet those prices....kinda like standard oil? They are willing to eat pretty heavy losses with those cameras just to keep current marketshare and eliminate the up and comers (which PRIC may be considered since Ricoh acquired them).

Just a thought.

Last edited by cali92rs; 04-05-2013 at 10:09 AM.