Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2013, 06:37 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VisualDarkness Quote
Well, I know that Heie said that he wasn't looking for one and probably most users won't. What is wrong with that statement when it's absolutely true?
Because it does not seem consistent with the reports by member to our forum of their wish lists conveyed to him. I am NOT one of the FF dreamers, but it seems odd to me that he downplayed that issue so strongly.

04-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
Wouldn't it be the better idea to suggest to Pentax USA that a whole group of Q-users meets with him? Show all your tools and gadgets, bring your pictures.
Why limit it to "one" .
That sounds like an awesome a really cool idea! A kind of meet and great that would build a strong community within the user base and a connection between the users and Pentax Ricoh for some creative feedback. 1-3 hours is not much work for the company (Exec VP and more) to talk to the group and actually see how they use the products they make.
04-04-2013, 06:41 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Someone at Pentax Americas almost certainly reads this website.

Pentax executives' experience doing live Q/A here in the past has not been ..... shall we say .... civil. It only takes one jerk to make the host close the thread and all opportunity for everyone else to speak intelligently. And with 40,000+ members it is statistically certain someone will be offensive.
Please. I was NOT a part of that discussion but someone with a VERY thin skin ran home and whined about this place. We know who that is, the fellow that can't even get the specs right on Pentax products when he is interviewed. THAT is the reason he was not simply cow-towed to here, he just doesn't know his product line as well as many here. I'm VERY tired of the immediate defense of VERY poor behavior on the part of someone who is paid to market Pentax and who can't even engage in the most enthusiastic and largest forum dedicated to Pentax on the planet.
04-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #19
Veteran Member

That sounds like an awesome a really cool idea! A kind of meet and great that would build a strong community within the user base and a connection between the users and Pentax Ricoh for some creative feedback. 1-3 hours is not much work for the company (Exec VP and more) to talk to the group and actually see how they use the products they make.
Different groups of Q-users. Astro, birders, street... Mix it up.

04-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

my personal perspective is a pentax executive and all their familiy members should use all their products...not to mention everyone at their facility should be using them so they can have discussions within their company on what works and doesn't..how can you possibly sell a product and know nothing about it...at least take some time and research the internet to see what people say about your company and products..you don't even have to do it yourself..have internal experts that use and research what is being said about a specific product...i feel like i must be missing something because why would you not know everything there is about what you sell...maybe that is why i'm a nobody and he is in charge of pentax @#$%^&...ok my rant is done...
04-04-2013, 06:44 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LamyTax Quote
Wouldn't it be the better idea to suggest to Pentax USA that a whole group of Q-users meets with him? Show all your tools and gadgets, bring your pictures.
Why limit it to "one" .
If getting direct customer interaction is important, then a Google+ hangout could be established very easily and coordinated by Pentax Forums. One could limit the participants to a "closed" group of a certain size. These are essentially two-way video conferences with plenty of show-and-tell opportunities.

M
04-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #22
Pentaxian

I'd like to point out that his response was in the context of the Facebook outreach project, not in a broader sense. Also, if you take a look at his Twitter feed you'll see that Jim himself owns (or at least uses) a Q.
04-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
my personal perspective is a pentax executive and all their familiy members should use all their products...not to mention everyone at their facility should be using them so they can have discussions within their company on what works and doesn't..how can you possibly sell a product and know nothing about it...at least take some time and research the internet to see what people say about your company and products..you don't even have to do it yourself..have internal experts that use and research what is being said about a specific product...i feel like i must be missing something because why would you not know everything there is about what you sell...maybe that is why i'm a nobody and he is in charge of pentax @#$%^&...ok my rant is done...
Amy,
You are certainly NOT a "nobody"! You are precisely the market that Pentax should be begging to find out more about. First, let me say that I am very happy that Mr. Malcolm is more visible and is engaging with some Pentax users. Second, I appreciate that he took over a completely dead in the water organization in Pentax USA. Third, he has some incredibly inept staff and need to clean house (which we have not seen yet). Fourth, on everything but the "nobody" comment I agree and share your frustration because Pentax makes some killer products that are like a closely guarded secret (especially the Q it would seem).

04-04-2013, 06:47 PM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Someone at Pentax Americas almost certainly reads this website.

Pentax executives' experience doing live Q/A here in the past has not been ..... shall we say .... civil. It only takes one jerk to make the host close the thread and all opportunity for everyone else to speak intelligently. And with 40,000+ members it is statistically certain someone will be offensive.
Good point made.

JP
04-04-2013, 06:50 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Good point made.

JP
No, the point is not made IMHO. When your JOB is to market a product you should KNOW that some people you interact with are going to be less than obsequious (like many here). Your JOB is to positively interact with those people and try to persuade them to change their attitude toward your product. To run away and hide, and negatively comment, about the single largest collection of your end users is simply incompetence IMHO. It fits with the statements a year ago that WE are NOT Pentax USA's customers - that retailers are - and is therefore a cornerstone IMHO of Pentax USA's still failing approach to selling Pentax cameras.
04-04-2013, 06:50 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Because it does not seem consistent with the reports by member to our forum of their wish lists conveyed to him. I am NOT one of the FF dreamers, but it seems odd to me that he downplayed that issue so strongly.
I hear what you say and yes, he seem to miss a pretty big vocal crowd demanding FF plans with his calls. Somebody from that group should be scheduled to call him to make it more balanced.
Please. I was NOT a part of that discussion but someone with a VERY thin skin ran home and whined about this place. We know who that is, the fellow that can't even get the specs right on Pentax products when he is interviewed. THAT is the reason he was not simply cow-towed to here, he just doesn't know his product line as well as many here. I'm VERY tired of the immediate defense of VERY poor behavior on the part of someone who is paid to market Pentax and who can't even engage in the most enthusiastic and largest forum dedicated to Pentax on the planet.
Most companies seem to flee external social forums as they are afraid that they cannot perform well enough. A small blunder can destroy a lot of good things. Still the ones that does it well like Photosolve and the short stint by Kodak really works in their favor. All of us have probably said something stupid or bad on a message board and companies are afraid of that one small blunder,
04-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Amy,
You are certainly NOT a "nobody"! You are precisely the market that Pentax should be begging to find out more about. First, let me say that I am very happy that Mr. Malcolm is more visible and is engaging with some Pentax users. Second, I appreciate that he took over a completely dead in the water organization in Pentax USA. Third, he has some incredibly inept staff and need to clean house (which we have not seen yet). Fourth, on everything but the "nobody" comment I agree and share your frustration because Pentax makes some killer products that are like a closely guarded secret (especially the Q it would seem).
doc i guess we have the frustration because we are so passionate about pentax and we want others to know what we know...if it weren't for this forum i wouldn't know about the q and a multitude of other things that i have learned from this awesome group!!!!
04-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #28
Lens Buying Addict

I was here, I was online twice when that person was - and witnessed his behaviors - but that person remains a senior employee, reporting directly to James Malcolm. I have no respect for Pentax America's outsourced business structure, average at best execution of same, Big Box marketing strategy, nor product selection, as I have commented on many times - all marketing decisions by a single manager.

But we were rude.
04-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I hear what you say and yes, he seem to miss a pretty big vocal crowd demanding FF plans with his calls. Somebody from that group should be scheduled to call him to make it more balanced.

Most companies seem to flee external social forums as they are afraid that they cannot perform well enough. A small blunder can destroy a lot of good things. Still the ones that does it well like Photosolve and the short stint by Kodak really works in their favor. All of us have probably said something stupid or bad on a message board and companies are afraid of that one small blunder,
I do understand that point. However, on fora like these you do not have the same time pressure you do with things like Twitter and other more stream of consciousness outlets. They could take time, albeit not days, to formulate a response and have others look it over too. Venturing in, not knowing your line, acting like a child and taking your ball and going home, are worse IMHO than never venturing into the forum in the first place. Adam does more to market Pentax in 1 day than Pentax USA has done in the past year and he answers questions, and makes occasional mistakes (yes, its true), all the time. Perhaps Pentax needs to hire someone like Heie or Adam who know their stuff, are enthusiastic about the equipment, and can convey that to others?
04-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #30
Lens Buying Addict

I suggest a conference call with the dozen or so power Q users on the Forum (who are easily identified).